Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:45 PM

19 posts, read 14,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
American public schools are locally financed, so if quality matters to you, try to live in the most upscale area you can afford. Before you have your heart set on Fremont, check the rankings of public schools there. (They're online.) Fremont has grown and gentrified, but it wasn't so long ago that people called it "the arm pit of the Bay."

Also, look into whether they offer after-school care and how much that costs. When it gets closer, call the school(s) to see if they have any openings in after-school care. When your kiddo gets out of school before 3 PM but you don't get home for another 3 hours - it's a problem.

As for a Fremont-San Francisco commute by BART: a friend in Union City (just north of Fremont) takes it to San Francisco. An hour one way, plus the time it takes for her to walk from the station to the office. She works an 8 hour day, so the commute makes hers a 10-hour day, every day. Yes, it gets old.
Yes,I did check ratings of schools of various CA areas.

Arranging for after-school is a good point - thanks! I'll look into it. I almost took it for granted that it will be available.

I will also do some research on Union City.

Last edited by digitalhetal; 10-21-2019 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 03:53 PM

390 posts, read 307,666 times
Hello Hetal,
Union city is a little rough with a not very good school system. However, there is an apartment complex called Avalon Union City right off of the BART, which is nice. A 2 bedroom apartment there rents for around $3000 / month.
I recommend living in Dublin or Pleasanton. There is an Avalon Dublin Station apartment walking distance from the BART. The schools there are much better than Union City.

My husband and I were in the Bay Area for 3 years and then moved. First we lived in Fremont in an apartment that was not walking distance to the BART. Then, we lived in Union City in Avalon and liked it. We moved farther north to Walnut Creek our last 6 months but preferred the Union City location and apartment.
Good luck!

Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Honestly your budget is really too small to get a nice two bedroom in a good school district.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Hello Hetal,
Union city is a little rough with a not very good school system. However, there is an apartment complex called Avalon Union City right off of the BART, which is nice. A 2 bedroom apartment there rents for around $3000 / month.
I recommend living in Dublin or Pleasanton. There is an Avalon Dublin Station apartment walking distance from the BART. The schools there are much better than Union City.

My husband and I were in the Bay Area for 3 years and then moved. First we lived in Fremont in an apartment that was not walking distance to the BART. Then, we lived in Union City in Avalon and liked it. We moved farther north to Walnut Creek our last 6 months but preferred the Union City location and apartment.
Good luck!
Thanks!!

Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 AM

106 posts, read 236,105 times
For your situation, I'd recommend Pleasanton over Fremont if the job is in Pleasanton. Pleasanton has uniformly good schools and has generally high QOL (other than commute), and while Fremont schools are generally quite good, there are spottier than Pleasanton. If you're working in Pleasanton, just stay there. You can probably find an IT job in Tri-Valley or SF.

Pricing of apartments/housing is more similar than different between Pleasanton and Fremont, though Fremont is generally more expensive than Pleasanton due to its better commute to high paying jobs. This sort of depends on the segment of apartment you are looking for - there are a lot more apartments in Fremont, so there is more variety.

IF you're not looking to get a job before coming, I would recommend an apartment within walking distance of BART, as that will open up a broader range of opportunities for job locations. I do agree with the earlier poster about Avalon near UC bart being a good location to live, but the school for that complex is probably not ideal for the 7 year old.

Here's a 2 bedroom in your price range within walking distance of BART in Pleasanton : https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ca...on/floor-plans

Last edited by steve_holt; 10-23-2019 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_holt View Post
For your situation, I'd recommend Pleasanton over Fremont if the job is in Pleasanton. Pleasanton has uniformly good schools and has generally high QOL (other than commute), and while Fremont schools are generally quite good, there are spottier than Pleasanton. If you're working in Pleasanton, just stay there. You can probably find an IT job in Tri-Valley or SF.

Pricing of apartments/housing is more similar than different between Pleasanton and Fremont, though Fremont is generally more expensive than Pleasanton due to its better commute to high paying jobs. This sort of depends on the segment of apartment you are looking for - there are a lot more apartments in Fremont, so there is more variety.

IF you're not looking to get a job before coming, I would recommend an apartment within walking distance of BART, as that will open up a broader range of opportunities for job locations. I do agree with the earlier poster about Avalon near UC bart being a good location to live, but the school for that complex is probably not ideal for the 7 year old.

Here's a 2 bedroom in your price range within walking distance of BART in Pleasanton : https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ca...on/floor-plans
Thank you!
My other thought is to start living in Pleasanton, or maybe Fremont, and then depending on where I get job, we can move if required.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:25 PM

I have been reading reviews of apartments near Pleasanton BART, including Eaves Pleasanton, and they are horrible! The apartments seem to be in chaos, with no maintenance standards/support and infested with insects/rats. How are apartment standards in Pleasanton, or for that matter, other areas in general?

Old 10-23-2019, 02:51 PM

410 posts, read 451,585 times
That's a very general question. There ARE a lot of dumps. And the decent places are (very) expensive.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
That's a very general question. There ARE a lot of dumps. And the decent places are (very) expensive.
Got it.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks all previous posters for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland