Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:24 AM

520 posts, read 613,981 times

Advertisements

Not if you need a reasonable commute to job centers. There are some nice pockets of the Bay that aren't a reasonable commute and aren't quite as expensive that I would happily live in if I were retired or worked from home or had a job that could be done from a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 11:19 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,690,317 times
I just want to say "where there's a will, there's a way." Sometimes there are very sweet "miracles" that pop up . . . an ADU behind a house in a nice neighborhood, rented by people who aren't in it to make a ton of cash . . . there are good people you might meet who have connections or special circumstances (like you do yard work in exchange for partial rent, etc., etc.)

Old 01-20-2020, 12:00 PM

102,311 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I just want to say "where there's a will, there's a way." Sometimes there are very sweet "miracles" that pop up . . . an ADU behind a house in a nice neighborhood, rented by people who aren't in it to make a ton of cash . . . there are good people you might meet who have connections or special circumstances (like you do yard work in exchange for partial rent, etc., etc.)
I tend to be in this "can-do" camp, but the fact is, that there are so many people looking for something like that, it would take a definite miracle to pull something like this off. However, there are lower rent ADU's in places like Albany. Though that wouldn't help, if the OP's job is in SJ. We need more info from the OP.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,829,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo100 View Post
I am an IT professional from the east coast. I am wanting to move to the Bay area for a couple of years to save money. Are there any affordable areas in SF, SJ or surrounding? My monthly expenses, minus rent are around $2500.

What would match the definition of "affordable" to you? How much can you and/or willing to spend for housing ? Both SJ & SF are very expensive when it comes to housing......specially the latter. SF has rent control (there are exclusions) So, somebody who has been living in a rent controlled apt long term, is going to be paying much less in rent then a newcomer like you would be for a similar apt. I have a friend who has lived in the same rent controlled apt for 39 years. The surrounding areas to SF & SJ, within a reasonable commute distance, are expensive also. I am not saying it would be impossible for you.....just that it will likely be difficult and perhaps require a bit of luck

Old 01-20-2020, 04:13 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,625,128 times
Quote:
I am an IT professional from the east coast. I am wanting to move to the Bay area for a couple of years to save money.

Don't come to Sf to save money.....that's silly. Come to the BA because you *really want to live here*.........or you're wasting your time & money IMO............

Old 01-30-2020, 01:33 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,764,476 times
There's really no such thing as cheap in the Bay Area.

Unless you want to live with several roommates or live out in Tracy or Modesto.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:47 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,785,885 times
Quote:
I am an IT professional from the east coast. I am wanting to move to the Bay area for a couple of years to save money. Are there any affordable areas in SF, SJ or surrounding? My monthly expenses, minus rent are around $2500.
I thought you were going to NZ or Australia???

https://www.city-data.com/forum/aust...l#post57136465

Or was it Canada?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cana...ck-canada.html

So you've quit your new job?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...k-new-job.html

And you're looking to move?

My advice to you. Find job first, then move.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 01-30-2020 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 06:13 PM

102,311 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I thought you were going to NZ or Australia???

https://www.city-data.com/forum/aust...l#post57136465

Or was it Canada?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cana...ck-canada.html

So you've quit your new job?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...k-new-job.html

And you're looking to move?

My advice to you. Find job first, then move.
This may explain why the OP hasn't returned to answer questions about his budget, etc. Good work, Sherlock!

Old 02-17-2020, 02:17 AM

259 posts, read 231,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sure, Bay Area is expensive. But I’m not sure where you get it’s worse (by far: “not even close”??) than D.C., NYC ...

I have no clue where these idiots got their data but it's definitely off. The difference between LA, NYC and SF is that the first 2 are quite large and there are tons of places in them one can find a lower cost of living including rent, etc. No the case with SF which is tiny in comparison and is quite expensive all over. I know some people that live in NYC and you can survive on much smaller salaries there than in SF.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 AM

8,426 posts, read 4,461,865 times
Not sure what you mean by cheap, but I am largely retired, own the second "home" in SF (near Alamo Square), and I consider it a cheap living solution for a fairly good part of SF. It is a 300 sq ft micro-condo which I bought in 2008 for $285k... which I think would be equal to about $360-390k now. I pay about $8,000 per year in real estate taxes and HOA dues (of which about $4,700 are taxes and $3,300 condo fees for 12 months). I pay about $25 per month to ConEd for utilities. My food expenses, mostly at the nearby Trader Joe's, are typically about $250 per month. If I were young, I would probably frequent an excellent music club and "hipster" eateries and boutiques that are all located nearby, but I generally don't (my recreational pursuits include endless walking in this most beautiful city in the world, and perusal of many branches of the excellent public library - both activities are free). I have no idea what you do with a kid in SF if you have it - maybe send it to a boarding school out East? If I had a car, parking would be a definite problem, but I don't have it or need it generally (when I need it, I rent it). Public transportation is not fantastic (ie, buses are relatively infrequent and relatively slow, though I think better than in LA), but bus lines do cover the entire peninsula. There are BART and Caltrain for outer suburb, which share the same issues as the buses, and do NOT cover the entire Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland