Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM

56 posts, read 182,850 times

Advertisements

High 60's, yes. Shorts, no. Wind, yes. Beach, on the cold side. Not going to catch me swimming in there anytime soon w/o a wetsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 25,659 times
If you love Sun you will be sorely disappointed living in San Francisco. How many days did I curse the fog and look longingly across the Bay to Oakland or Mill Valley and see the sun shining very brightly there. Shorts will stay in the closet until you leave the city to find sun.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
When I lived in the Sunset, I enjoyed the relative warmth of winter (e.g. relative to frosty inland Bay Area places and Tule Fog cursed places further inland) and in between storms, would be out in my backyard in shorts in the afternoon sun soaking up the near 70 degree warmth (this effect is even more pronounced in the Monterey Bay area - winter warmth at the immediate coastline).

In Summer, I'd break out the sweaters to be ready for the daily wind and fog. Sometimes we'd get a fog siege, where we did not see the sun at our place for a week at a time. Of course, simply heading over Portola into Noe or the Castro, we'd break into the sun.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 PM

399 posts, read 554,389 times
San Francisco is very nice city but with too cool of weather from what I noticed.
But in the day time its at a comfortable temp.

Usually even when its sunny outside, its kind of cold at the beach. So much wind.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
If you want sun, move to the East Bay, South Bay, or on the Peninsula south of Burlingame.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 PM

66 posts, read 305,975 times
Haha, it's funny to me that you californians think 60s is cold. Sounds like paradise to me, but I'm an East Coaster, who's just experienced about 8 months of actually cold weather. I'll be moving there soon, and I'm looking forward to a cooler summer than the ones I'm used to. Most of coastal California, northern and southern, seems like it'll have far better weather than what I'm used to.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:20 PM

54 posts, read 170,512 times
Want sun? East Bay. Do you want to be able to lay out at your beach and swim in the ocean? Southern California. Do you want to look at spectacular coastline, rugged cliffs, beautiful ocean scenery? Northern California has an edge over Souther California. Warm temps overall? Southern California (though NorCal is hardly Alaska like many socal-ers like to claim.... we've got it pretty good here in the Bay Area weather-wise relative to most of the U.S.).

Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM

56 posts, read 182,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxl35 View Post
Haha, it's funny to me that you californians think 60s is cold. Sounds like paradise to me, but I'm an East Coaster, who's just experienced about 8 months of actually cold weather. I'll be moving there soon, and I'm looking forward to a cooler summer than the ones I'm used to. Most of coastal California, northern and southern, seems like it'll have far better weather than what I'm used to.

Yes but don't underestimate the importance of ACTUAL weather ie changing seasons. Don't expect that when you move here. It's pretty much foggy/sunny w/ wind (that cuts right THROUGH you) all the time. No leaves changing, etc...all that you've come to expect/know living on the East Coast.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Going to the Beach in SF proper looks a bit like this + scarf

http://alilovesla.com/wp-content/upl...2/img_2433.jpg

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM

49 posts, read 122,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley44mag View Post
As Mark Twain once remarked, "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco."
Ok. I'll be the guy who mentions that Mark Twain never said this. No one knows who said it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland