Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,818 times

Advertisements

Hope this doesn't come off as too strange a question...

I'm looking at moving to a place in Newark very close to the Cargill salt ponds. I visited another place very close to this one several months ago and I noticed the strong salt (and algae?) smell in the air when I walked around, although I didn't really notice it inside the building I went to.

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows about or has experienced any negative health effects from all of that in the air in that area? I figure it couldn't be anything that bad if all of that housing was allowed to be built there, but I'm the kind of person who is prone to sinus issues and sinus headaches and is sensitive to various environmental irritants, but I've never really had any experience with this kind of thing before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 08:30 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Why are you interested in that particular place? Is the housing near the ponds priced more affordably? If so, that might be a hint. Have you checked the Bay Area sea level rise map, as well? That would be a good thing to do.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/climate/...y-14439143.php

https://news.berkeley.edu/2018/03/07...e-in-bay-area/

Old 04-13-2020, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are you interested in that particular place? Is the housing near the ponds priced more affordably? If so, that might be a hint. Have you checked the Bay Area sea level rise map, as well? That would be a good thing to do.
[url]https://www.sfchronicle.com/climate/article/Sea-level-rise-will-affect-San-Francisco-Bay-14439143.php[/url]

[url]https://news.berkeley.edu/2018/03/07/sinking-land-will-exacerbate-flooding-from-sea-level-rise-in-bay-area/[/url]

I'm looking to rent, not buy, so not really worried about long-term sea level issues. Yes, it's cheaper there, and I figure the smell in the air could have something to do with it as well as the location generally, but if it's just a matter of the smell being a little unpleasant, I can live with it. I'm just wondering if there could be more to it.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:52 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflow View Post
I'm looking to rent, not buy, so not really worried about long-term sea level issues. Yes, it's cheaper there, and I figure the smell in the air could have something to do with it as well as the location generally, but if it's just a matter of the smell being a little unpleasant, I can live with it. I'm just wondering if there could be more to it.
One of our frequent posters lives in Newark. He can tell you better than I can, if you wait for him to see your thread. All I know is, sometimes when I cross the bridge, the salt ponds reek.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:07 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,609 times
There were salt ponds a couple miles from where I grew up in the San Diego area. Other than the smell, I didn't notice anything bad about them. Honestly, the smell was just as bad as the nearby marshlands, which were closer to home. I wasn't smell-adjacent 24/7, though, so perhaps a second opinion is in order.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:37 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflow View Post
Hope this doesn't come off as too strange a question...

I'm looking at moving to a place in Newark very close to the Cargill salt ponds. I visited another place very close to this one several months ago and I noticed the strong salt (and algae?) smell in the air when I walked around, although I didn't really notice it inside the building I went to.

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows about or has experienced any negative health effects from all of that in the air in that area? I figure it couldn't be anything that bad if all of that housing was allowed to be built there, but I'm the kind of person who is prone to sinus issues and sinus headaches and is sensitive to various environmental irritants, but I've never really had any experience with this kind of thing before.
The areas closest to Cargill and the bay do get some foul odors sometimes but I've never personally heard any mention of residents having health issues because of them. I don't notice any weird odors throughout the rest of Newark though, the way that Milpitas and the southwestern part of Fremont get. Honestly, just about any city or town that borders the bay will get "interesting" smells from time to time.

Ruth4Truth was probably referring to me as the frequent Newark poster. I've lived in Newark since 2009 so I have a lot of personal experience with the area. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:59 AM

93 posts, read 73,603 times
Newark isn’t that great of a place I wouldn’t live there. There’s nothing there and it’s overpriced.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecali View Post
Newark isn’t that great of a place I wouldn’t live there. There’s nothing there and it’s overpriced.

You're really not offering any sort of good advice here. The entire Bay Area is overpriced, so what exactly is your point?

I wouldn't consider myself a Newark booster at all, but I at least have personal experience living here and can list off many pros/cons about it. I have my own reasons for not being in love with Newark, but your post is completely vague and troll-ish. To just say it "isn't that great of a place" and "There's nothing there and it's overpriced" could apply to many suburban cities/towns throughout the Bay Area.
Thanks for your awesome contribution to this thread.
To the OP, I'm not originally from Newark, but I moved here in 2009 and have plenty of personal experience about living in Newark/Fremont. Feel free to ask away if you have specific questions.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 PM

93 posts, read 73,603 times
I’m sorry. I used to live down in San Jose where I went to college. Newark is a wonderful town!! Fremont even better!

Old 05-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecali View Post
I’m sorry. I used to live down in San Jose where I went to college. Newark is a wonderful town!! Fremont even better!

You clearly missed my point. People come here looking for useful advice on relocation. You didn't offer that. Your posts are troll-ish more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland