Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 02:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I was in the San Juan Islands that summer, as I am most every year ... don’t know how Vancouver got only “about 3 very smokey days” ... I was getting headaches on my boat within sight of Vancouver and Victoria for at least a week and a half ... I’d say possibly more than 2 weeks.
Smoke lasted more than 3 days yes, but there were only 3 VERY smokey days in Vancouver. Smokier than what we got his year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 10:46 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,153,047 times
Just dress for the weather.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:38 AM

52 posts, read 101,769 times
Here is an article in the NY Times on the dangers of drinking water for counties near burn areas. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/s...gtype=Homepage

Old 10-06-2020, 08:43 AM

52 posts, read 101,769 times
And here is a recent article in The Atlantic Monthly by a North Bay woman, about her family's
decision to move to Minnesota to escape the fires and smoke on the West Coast. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-coast/616493/

Old 10-06-2020, 08:54 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoffschein View Post
And here is a recent article in The Atlantic Monthly by a North Bay woman, about her family's
decision to move to Minnesota to escape the fires and smoke on the West Coast. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-coast/616493/
Heh ... well, I sincerely hope you find Minnesota to your liking. There is beauty and opportunity there, as so with nearly every place on the planet, given an open mind and spirit.

Personally, I left Minnesota behind in the mid-1960s. I’ll stick with the fires and earthquakes of California / west coast - over the bugs and weather of the upper midwest. Do take especial care against Lyme disease from the ticks if you are an outdoorsman! ... and frostbite, of course. Both are avoidable with due care and discipline. Ice fishing is great, if you know how to keep warm

Old 10-06-2020, 05:52 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoffschein View Post

You (conveniently) forgot to mention that she lives in Portland, Oregon, not the Bay Area.

I read the article in its entirety and, to be honest, it sounded very melodramatic. None of us like smoke or wildfires, obviously. People like her, however, who fancy themselves "the literati" and the elite, have played a huge role in forestry mismanagement in this state (I actually do have a "conservative side" and this is it), as well as in Oregon and Washington, by supporting policies that are adverse to proper forest management.

There was a documentary on PBS on the program "Tending Nature" about how Native Americans in pre-European California would let forest fires burn the tender on forest floors, thereby never allowing overgrowth. It was very effective in managing forest overgrowth. The new attitude is that we must dowse every single blaze because we overbuilt and sprawled out into places where fire is part of the natural cycle. Instead of identifying lack of forest management and sprawl as contributing issues, people like her go beserk and scream "climate change" and "I'm moving..." rather than be realistic.

While I do believe in climate change, I also believe that California has always been a state that is very unique in its climatology and topography. It's the only state in which an area can be saturated in fog and humidity and then another area 30 miles away can be dry and crisp.This is why special considerations have to be taken into account with how to manage California's wild areas, and that doesn't mean a "hands off, no controlled burn" policy.

Then, I read where the author is moving to Minnesota which, as I write this, is under a "Fire Danger Advisory" due to high winds, low humidity and dry brush. Will she get there and blame that on climate change too?

Last edited by apple92680; 10-06-2020 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 10:37 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,269,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
You (conveniently) forgot to mention that she lives in Portland, Oregon, not the Bay Area.

I read the article in its entirety and, to be honest, it sounded very melodramatic. None of us like smoke or wildfires, obviously. People like her, however, who fancy themselves "the literati" and the elite, have played a huge role in forestry mismanagement in this state (I actually do have a "conservative side" and this is it), as well as in Oregon and Washington, by supporting policies that are adverse to proper forest management.

There was a documentary on PBS on the program "Tending Nature" about how Native Americans in pre-European California would let forest fires burn the tender on forest floors, thereby never allowing overgrowth. It was very effective in managing forest overgrowth. The new attitude is that we must dowse every single blaze because we overbuilt and sprawled out into places where fire is part of the natural cycle. Instead of identifying lack of forest management and sprawl as contributing issues, people like her go beserk and scream "climate change" and "I'm moving..." rather than be realistic.

While I do believe in climate change, I also believe that California has always been a state that is very unique in its climatology and topography. It's the only state in which an area can be saturated in fog and humidity and then another area 30 miles away can be dry and crisp.This is why special considerations have to be taken into account with how to manage California's wild areas, and that doesn't mean a "hands off, no controlled burn" policy.

Then, I read where the author is moving to Minnesota which, as I write this, is under a "Fire Danger Advisory" due to high winds, low humidity and dry brush. Will she get there and blame that on climate change too?
Have you looked at a fire history map over the last 20 years? Everything is getting toasted, and many parts toasted a 2nd time.

Is California supposed to burn every forest once per 10 years as a "preventative" measure?

Old 10-06-2020, 10:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Have you looked at a fire history map over the last 20 years? Everything is getting toasted, and many parts toasted a 2nd time.

Is California supposed to burn every forest once per 10 years as a "preventative" measure?
What areas have been burned twice? I was wondering about that because it seemed like the Glass Fire was torching the same area as the 2018 North Bay/Tubbs fire but there wasn’t actually that much overlap and was burning areas next to and in between previous ones.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:46 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,269,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What areas have been burned twice? I was wondering about that because it seemed like the Glass Fire was torching the same area as the 2018 North Bay/Tubbs fire but there wasn’t actually that much overlap and was burning areas next to and in between previous ones.
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.7...ire%2Cmodis_vp

Old 10-07-2020, 01:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Interesting, I don't see a ton of overlap but definitely areas that have burned twice in the last 5-20 years. I would think maybe the rate of spread might be lower in those areas previously burned possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland