Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 06:52 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,808,197 times

Advertisements

Oakland Tech (Technical) graduate here, early 1960's. Recall, not a city, the neighborhood. Mom shopped at a market around the corner, groceries were put on a tab to be paid later.
Birthday cakes were purchased at Nelden's Bakery on Telegraph Avenue, Genoa, a Italian deli was also on Telegraph Avenue.

Piedmont, where Fenton's Ice Cream, best of all! Particularly the Swiss Malt Chocolate; their chocolate sauce is the best!

Did work in the City (San Francisco) where all my grandparents lived. After visiting paternal family on Sundays, sometimes would visit Playland at the Beach. Recall riding the wooden roller coaster with my Pop and brother. Also, travelling by train, that ran on the bottom deck of the Bay Bridge; fare for autos was 25 cents !

Made in America, starring Whoppie Goldberg, Ted Danson was filmed in Oakland. Was so surprised to see the setting when I went to see the movie ! At the end of the movie? believe Oakland Tech was featured !

1959, as a teenager, was shocked to see students in Little Rock? being sprayed with fire hoses! Attended schools with a diversity of people; in high school, 2 blind students signed my yearbook in Braille; wish I thought to ask what they wrote !

1993, the year we moved from California, attended the best gospel competition at the Paramount Theater on Broadway. Choirs from many churches even one from a prison!

Old 11-13-2020, 09:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Dad attended Oakland schools in the 30's and 40's

He remained life long friends with many and classmates from many backgrounds/races...

European first generation, Black, Japanese, Chinese, Mexico and American Indian...

Pictures of segregated South were foreign and very distant although some neighborhoods, like Brookfield wartime housing was segregated... lots of WWII migration to SF Bay Area and with it came prejudice.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:18 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
4th generation Oakland resident and met many Bay Area residents that know nothing about Oakland... just the way it is.

Some only know the sports teams or airport...
Yeah, I think the point being, there isn't anything in Oakland (of value to most) which isn't also available elsewhere in the Bay Area. The Warriors, however, was the one thing SF (and the rest of the Bay Area) didn't have - until last year. Bottom line, there's simply no need/desire to go for many.

It really comes down to where you live (and the type of activities one enjoys). As an example to one of the things you mentioned i.e. redwoods, most would consider Muir Woods; but personally, Samuel Taylor State Park (much less known) is my favorite for hiking/redwoods/views i.e. Barnabe Peak. Oakland simply wouldn't enter my mind.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Lived in Oakland in 1935 and 1936 moving to San Leandro late 1937 until war started, and was stationed in Alameda when they flew the big seaplanes out of there, VR2, and was the Air Terminal Chief in charge of the cargo and all passengers.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:34 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Oakland Tech (Technical) graduate here, early 1960's. Recall, not a city, the neighborhood. Mom shopped at a market around the corner, groceries were put on a tab to be paid later.
Birthday cakes were purchased at Nelden's Bakery on Telegraph Avenue, Genoa, a Italian deli was also on Telegraph Avenue.

Piedmont, where Fenton's Ice Cream, best of all! Particularly the Swiss Malt Chocolate; their chocolate sauce is the best!

Did work in the City (San Francisco) where all my grandparents lived. After visiting paternal family on Sundays, sometimes would visit Playland at the Beach. Recall riding the wooden roller coaster with my Pop and brother. Also, travelling by train, that ran on the bottom deck of the Bay Bridge; fare for autos was 25 cents !

Made in America, starring Whoppie Goldberg, Ted Danson was filmed in Oakland. Was so surprised to see the setting when I went to see the movie ! At the end of the movie? believe Oakland Tech was featured !

1959, as a teenager, was shocked to see students in Little Rock? being sprayed with fire hoses! Attended schools with a diversity of people; in high school, 2 blind students signed my yearbook in Braille; wish I thought to ask what they wrote !

1993, the year we moved from California, attended the best gospel competition at the Paramount Theater on Broadway. Choirs from many churches even one from a prison!
Fenton’s is on Piedmont Avenue, but it’s in Oakland.

For some reason Bing Maps lists Fenton’s as being in Piedmont, but that is wrong.

Fenton’s own website lists the address as being in Oakland.

Google maps shows the city limit/border is along Rose, and then Rose ends at Kingston. The first block of Kingston, which mostly parallels Rose....both sides of the street are in Piedmont. Then, after Rose ends at Kingston, in the next block of Kingston, one side of the street is in Piedmont, and the other side is in Oakland. Along the final block of Kingston, both sides of the street are in Oakland. The border then makes two quick ninety degree turns (going away from Piedmont Ave, and away from Broadway) and then parallels Olive and Monte Vista, cutting between them, all the way past Oakland Avenue to the Rose Garden.

All of Piedmont Avenue...from Broadway to the cemetery...is in Oakland.

Fenton’s was originally on Howe, and all of Howe, between West MacArthur and the cemetery, is in Oakland.

(One of my relatives owned a business on Piedmont Ave, and...after my parents divorced...my dad moved to Oakland (near the border with Piedmont) and he used to take me to mass at Saint Leo’s)

Old 11-15-2020, 10:13 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
Is it weird some life long Bay Areans never set foot in Oakland?

I can totally see how that could happen if you live on the Sf side of the Bay Bridge or a little north or south. BUT you would probably have to drive through it some time by crossing the bridge to get somewhere else if you lived in Sf.....but that isn't really "setting foot"..ha.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, I think the point being, there isn't anything in Oakland (of value to most) which isn't also available elsewhere in the Bay Area. The Warriors, however, was the one thing SF (and the rest of the Bay Area) didn't have - until last year. Bottom line, there's simply no need/desire to go for many.

It really comes down to where you live (and the type of activities one enjoys). As an example to one of the things you mentioned i.e. redwoods, most would consider Muir Woods; but personally, Samuel Taylor State Park (much less known) is my favorite for hiking/redwoods/views i.e. Barnabe Peak. Oakland simply wouldn't enter my mind.
Could very well be...

A coworker asked if there was any hiking in the East Bay... she and her husband live in San Francisco and were looking to take some sunset pictures of SF on one of those crystal clear sunsets... she got her pictures with 5 bridges included.

Until Covid the dining scene in Oakland was growing by leaps and bounds and becoming a destination...

That said it is OK not to have throngs of people...

I see SF everyday from my window... makes a great view but unless I have first time visitors to the Bay Area I don't set foot in the city...

Old 11-15-2020, 03:37 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Could very well be...

A coworker asked if there was any hiking in the East Bay... she and her husband live in San Francisco and were looking to take some sunset pictures of SF on one of those crystal clear sunsets... she got her pictures with 5 bridges included.

Until Covid the dining scene in Oakland was growing by leaps and bounds and becoming a destination...

That said it is OK not to have throngs of people...

I see SF everyday from my window... makes a great view but unless I have first time visitors to the Bay Area I don't set foot in the city...
This is the key to what is going on with Oakland. There are a lot of wealthy people in the Oakland hills,Berkeley hills piedmont and lamorinda. 15 to 20 years ago they would go into San Francisco for dining and entertainment. Now they are more likely to partake in the destination restaurants in Oakland. This impacted San Francisco with a number of SF restaurateurs opening restaurants and bars in Oakland. So I don’t think folks on the peninsula are coming to Oakland when they can go to SF but Oakland’s dining and entertainment scene has taken off with fewer trips to sf for affluent east bay residents. You still have to go to sf for symphony,opera ballet,de young sfmoma.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:59 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
IMO...there are a lot of ppl that LOVE Sf but don't like Oakland.... AND the other way around ofc if you live over there. It's not weird tho....just ppl know what they like or don't like.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:41 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,808,197 times
RMEGMH, thank you for the correction about Fenton's location. Remember eating there when it was located on Howe Street.

Heinold's First and Last Saloon, the original owner helped Jack London attend college. Knew about this, Wikipedia has article about Heinold's Buoy and Bell?, our neighbor was a waitress there. Overland House, Elegant Farmer was also in Jack London Square.

Is Piedmont still a nice shop area; remember a fine restaurant on Piedmont Avenue near MacArthur Blvd. Grand Lake, was a nice neighborhood. Remember the theatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland