Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM

148 posts, read 175,868 times

Advertisements

Some life long Bay Areans, or at least people who have lived here 20 years, have never been to Oakland, aside from “driving by” or took the airport there once, or maybe stopped for gas or a snack once but never actually walked around downtown Oakland, spent more than an hour, went to JLS, etc. Seriously.

I talked to some kids in Santa Rosa when I was in teen (SR native) who also never set foot in Oakland, as well as a guy from Philippines who I met in SF who said he lived in San Jose and Vallejo who said the same thing, l just drove by, never walked or really been there” and I think he lived in Bay Area on and off for 15 or more years.

I also met a guy from Reno who said he may have only beeb to the Coliseum or something but nowhere else. I am sure way more I know too.

So like why? Not that Oakland is a life changing place to visit but it has its things of interest and I find it a little strange you’d live 1-2 hrs or less and never had to go to some event or meet someone in Oakland, or use the airport, BART station, stopped by for a restaurant when driving in the East Bay.

Is this common? I heard some San Franciscan born teens never been to Oakland too and it’s common.

And I thought it was interesting how some Santa Rosa kids never been to Ukiah, ok that is not reallly weird but maybe most have.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:50 PM

4,316 posts, read 6,279,681 times
Not sure how common this is, but this surprises me. Who hasn't gone there for an A's game or previously a Warriors or Raiders game? Who hasn't gone out to eat in one of the nicer neighborhoods, such as Rockridge? Who hasn't taken their kids to Children's Fairyland or the Cabot Science Center?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of parts of Oakland where I wouldn't set my foot in. However, I can't imagine someone who lives here who's NEVER set foot in Oakland.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Not sure how common this is, but this surprises me. Who hasn't gone there for an A's game or previously a Warriors or Raiders game? Who hasn't gone out to eat in one of the nicer neighborhoods, such as Rockridge? Who hasn't taken their kids to Children's Fairyland or the Cabot Science Center?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of parts of Oakland where I wouldn't set my foot in. However, I can't imagine someone who lives here who's NEVER set foot in Oakland.
A lot of people, but San Jose and Santa Rosa are not that close to Oakland so not as weird.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:10 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Not that weird, the Bay Area is very spread out. I don't recall the last time I set foot in San Jose. This past spring was probably the first time I've really been to Peninsula in over 10 years.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:07 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,563,021 times
I lived in Pleasanton for quite a while and never had a need to go to Oakland. Went to rock ridge a few times and downtown a few times. I had everything I needed in the valley. I did go to San Jose and Los Gatos a lot though on the weekends.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I’m the same as aslowdodge I guess.
For me other than a few games or the airport I have no need to go to Oakland.

I did however go to Franklin Elementary for a half year when we first came to CA and that wasn’t fun.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:07 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,150,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
And I thought it was interesting how some Santa Rosa kids never been to Ukiah, ok that is not reallly weird but maybe most have.
Why not just skip Ukiah, and its world-class fine dining options, scintillating nightlife, cafe tertulia culture, and ultra-high concentration of intelligentsia, and head for a burger up the road in Willits?
Now if you're just dropping by to pick up a bag of weed, well that's another thing, I suppose.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Why not just skip Ukiah, and its world-class fine dining options, scintillating nightlife, cafe tertulia culture, and ultra-high concentration of intelligentsia, and head for a burger up the road in Willits?
Now if you're just dropping by to pick up a bag of weed, well that's another thing, I suppose.
Ukiah is mildly cool.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:40 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Having lived in Ukiah as a kid for a few years and my dad still there is probably the only reason I ever spent time in Santa Rosa.

I don’t really see why people from Santa Rosa would go there except for weed or maybe the lake.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:50 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I lived in Pleasanton for quite a while and never had a need to go to Oakland. Went to rock ridge a few times and downtown a few times. I had everything I needed in the valley. I did go to San Jose and Los Gatos a lot though on the weekends.
OK, then you'd been to Oakland. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, here. Rockridge & downtown Oakland are Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland