Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 08:05 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
Feel free to put blinders on to what is indeed a matter of common practice with governments, and one most people choose to ignore because it cuts right to the crux of the matter.

My first question was really related to the use of the word "all" vs "some", as it would be highly unusual for every friend and family member of a person to contract the virus.

Sorry for your loss.
Who's putting on blinders? lol. Do you think that i don't know that governments have to make this decision all the time? Every single budget that they put out likely has some degree of decision making such as this. But very few of them are made during a pandemic that has already killed about 450,000 Americans in about a year. But regardless of whether they were made during a pandemic, or during regular business, it is a tough decision to have to make and I am glad I am not the one who has to make it. And that's all I have said, and all I am saying... in response to this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Not trying to start a political rampage and I technically have no dog in this because I don't live in SF or even California for that matter but I have been wondering these things for some time now because Im trying to understand what is really going on out there... Do you think Newsom is intentionally attempting to kill off businesses and if so, what does he gain by doing so?
Why you continue to try to draw out other meanings/ideas/words from what I am pretty clearly stating is beyond me, and bordering on comical here. Let it go, brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Thats pretty sad man. I'm sorry to hear this.
Thanks, man. I'm a Hispanic, and COVID has been devastating my family and friends. One of my friends/coworkers had an uncle become infected, and infected his two brothers. The two brothers died of COVID, while the brother who was initially infected survived. I've now had 6 different cousins become infected and spend weeks in the hospital, leaving with what doctors believe is permanent lung damage. My sister who lives in WI was sick with COVID, but luckily it was one of those mild cases. Most of my family work in retail or warehouses, and are exposed to hundreds of people a day. A lot of people are lucky enough to not know anyone who has been seriously ill from COVID, but my family and friends are not. Right now, my friend's HS daughter is home with COVID, but is mostly doing okay. There are many more cases than this in my circle of friends and family, spread throughout the pandemic. It's pretty sad and depressing. Luckily for me, I am scheduled to get my first vaccine shot later this week (which is pretty unfair. I'm the single guy living in a big old house all by himself, while my family/friends who have more adults living under one roof don't have access to the vaccine yet). I have no idea when the rest of my family will be able to start getting theirs, but in my opinion, it can't be soon enough. I'm getting tired of trying to keep track of who is sick, and who isn't.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:25 AM

596 posts, read 302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post

After those first two sentences, I didn’t bother to read the rest of your post.
Quote:
Who's putting on blinders? lol. Do you think that i don't know that governments have to make this decision all the time? Every single budget that they put out likely has some degree of decision making such as this. But very few of them are made during a pandemic that has already killed about 450,000 Americans in about a year
Uh, you said you didn't read it (as quoted above in your words).

This virus has killed 1/10th of 1% (or in other words 1 for every 1000). With that said over 100,000 businesses have gone under due to the pandemic and shutdowns. I suspect it would be very easy to find at a minimum 100 business owners or people that worked for those businesses (and probably significantly more) out of those 100,000 that have not been able to provide care for their elderly family members due to restrictive policies that resulted in financial hardships and caused an early death. The knife cuts both ways.

Last edited by BobPhipps; 02-08-2021 at 08:33 AM..

Old 02-08-2021, 12:27 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Are you implying that all your friends and family have died from Covid-19?

I also find the sentence after that peculiar. Do you honestly not think that governments make life and death decisions all the time whether it be related to infectious diseases or other issues?

Some of the biggest issues I've had with this pandemic from the start are hysterics in the manner in which people talk about it, misinformation passed along to enhance a narrative, and the lack of realization that there is indeed a number that is acceptable in regards to loss of human life. Unfortunately, when it comes to talking about "acceptable" deaths, people tend to lose their minds and not realize that they themselves also have a number that works for them. If that was not the case, we would have had masks and PPE on for much longer than just this pandemic. We will hit a point after the roll out of this vaccine and the reductions of deaths when people will simply find a number that is acceptable to them and the government will also. It doesn't mean a person has ice water in their veins by accepting this. It merely means that at some point, life does need to go on.
Agreed. It's bizarre how some people think no one is supposed or should die during a pandemic. Some people don't realize all the risks they take everyday, particularly getting into a car and driving yet freak out about putting kids back into school or eating at a restaurant.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed. It's bizarre how some people think no one is supposed or should die during a pandemic. Some people don't realize all the risks they take everyday, particularly getting into a car and driving yet freak out about putting kids back into school or eating at a restaurant.
Thanks,

I find it bizarre also.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Uh, you said you didn't read it (as quoted above in your words).

This virus has killed 1/10th of 1% (or in other words 1 for every 1000). With that said over 100,000 businesses have gone under due to the pandemic and shutdowns. I suspect it would be very easy to find at a minimum 100 business owners or people that worked for those businesses (and probably significantly more) out of those 100,000 that have not been able to provide care for their elderly family members due to restrictive policies that resulted in financial hardships and caused an early death. The knife cuts both ways.
Uh, I was responding to this...

Quote:
Feel free to put blinders on to what is indeed a matter of common practice with governments, and one most people choose to ignore because it cuts right to the crux of the matter.
Again, I didn't read the rest of your post above either. I tend to do that when the first sentence of a post is questioning my integrity. I DO find it funny that you criticized someone about your belief of their lack of reading comprehension... and in the 3 or 4 interactions that we have had in this thread... YOUR reading comprehension has been questionable. You basically seem to be reading my posts with your mind already made up on what I am saying, then criticizing me for what is in YOUR head. lol. Since you really want to debate what you THINK I am saying, instead of what I am actually saying, this will be my last response to you in this thread for now.

Have a good day, Mr. "Wherever-you-are-really-from."

Old 02-08-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Uh, I was responding to this...

Again, I didn't read the rest of your post above either. I tend to do that when the first sentence of a post is questioning my integrity. I DO find it funny that you criticized someone about your belief of their lack of reading comprehension... and in the 3 or 4 interactions that we have had in this thread... YOUR reading comprehension has been questionable. You basically seem to be reading my posts with your mind already made up on what I am saying, then criticizing me for what is in YOUR head. lol. Since you really want to debate what you THINK I am saying, instead of what I am actually saying, this will be my last response to you in this thread for now.

I really can't help you with this. A comment saying you can't say the same for ALL your friends and family does indeed imply every one of your friends and family have contracted the virus (which would have been highly unusual). That is the correct comprehension based on what you wrote. Had you used the word "some", that would have made sense. I'm sorry if that's hard for you to understand.

As for what you were responding to, you claimed to not have read what was written and then turned around and talked directly about it (that makes no sense).

You have a nice day also. And again, sorry for your loss.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:45 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Well Bob, how about it??? Your credibility is down the tubes.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Well Bob, how about it??? Your credibility is down the tubes.
Credibility with who...you? LOL

You clearly have me confused with someone that actually cares about what you think.

You have nothing productive to say and haven't in any response yet. And at this point, you've actually been given more attention than is deserved. You have a nice day now. I'm done responding to your nonsense.

Last edited by BobPhipps; 02-08-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 03:31 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Sure I do have something productive to say.

I'm glad you proved my point as a "high road" troll. This comment added nothing to the conversation, yet you decided to slide it in.

Where do you live???
According to his previous posts in the Austin forum, somewhere around Round Rock, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland