Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 02:59 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times

Advertisements

DT Walnut Creek is hard to beat for that. Lived there for a few months without a car and was able to Uber/Lyft/BART/walk wherever I needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 07:42 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_u View Post
Looking for a cozy 2 bedroom condo right in a downtown area where we wouldn't need a car to get around. Price range would be around $1-1.2 million. Which of those places would work for that price?
You can look at the RE listings. It also depends on how big a downtown you want. Menlo Park has a very cute, beautiful downtown, but it's small. Palo Alto's is larger, but tends to be overrun by university students from Stanford. You could check out Los Altos and Los Altos Hills, as well as some of the other Peninsula suggestions.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:50 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
Danville is beautiful and Alamo
No public transit aside from a bus line and few condos in Danville. Alamo doesn't have a downtown.

Walnut Creek is the best bed in that area with by far the most amenities and public transit (free shuttle/bus line) to and from BART.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:52 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Benicia and Alameda come to mind.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
Los Altos, Campbell, Danville, and Alamo do not have good transit service, nor does Benicia. However, "downtown" Alameda (Park Street) does. Just because Alameda doesn't have a BART station doesn't mean it has bad transit service. In addition to frequent Transbay bus service to SF, it has more than one local bus line running every 15 minutes or better all day every day, with evening service a little less frequently and limited 24-hour service in case you are a night owl. In fact, most of Alameda (main island, not Bay Farm Island) has high quality service like this. There is ferry service too.

If you want to be on the east side of the Oakland hills, Walnut Creek will be your best bet. Besides BART and a free downtown shuttle, there are a handful of decent-but-not-great bus lines. No 24-hour service out that way, though. Central Concord has good transit service too, but based on your price point, it looks like you want something a little nicer (i.e., Walnut Creek).

Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can look at the RE listings. It also depends on how big a downtown you want. Menlo Park has a very cute, beautiful downtown, but it's small. Palo Alto's is larger, but tends to be overrun by university students from Stanford. You could check out Los Altos and Los Altos Hills, as well as some of the other Peninsula suggestions.
In answer to the bold, not really. I live there - Palo Alto isn't really a college town, not like the University of California is to Berkeley. You gotta remember that Stanford has a far smaller student population than UC. Maybe at most you'll see a bunch of students, hospital staff at the Trader Joe's in PA since it's across El Camino Real from the Stanford campus.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:24 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
In answer to the bold, not really. I live there - Palo Alto isn't really a college town, not like the University of California is to Berkeley. You gotta remember that Stanford has a far smaller student population than UC. Maybe at most you'll see a bunch of students, hospital staff at the Trader Joe's in PA since it's across El Camino Real from the Stanford campus.
OK. Maybe it just seems overrun at mealtimes, lol, lunch especially. (Pre-Covid)

Old 02-20-2021, 09:04 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I would agree with this statement. Downtown PA definitely has more of a high end feel vs Berkeley. When we lived in the Silicon Valley, my wife and I would often go out there for a nice dinner (Evvia, Tamarine, etc.). Not that you can't find that in Berkeley, but it always felt a lot grittier to me. Sure, there are a lot of trust fund babies at Stanford that would go high end as well, but I always felt it was more of a professional feel with some college students sprinkled in.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:42 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I would agree with this statement. Downtown PA definitely has more of a high end feel vs Berkeley. When we lived in the Silicon Valley, my wife and I would often go out there for a nice dinner (Evvia, Tamarine, etc.). Not that you can't find that in Berkeley, but it always felt a lot grittier to me. Sure, there are a lot of trust fund babies at Stanford that would go high end as well, but I always felt it was more of a professional feel with some college students sprinkled in.
Yup. I am a Cal alum and yes, in my student days Berkeley was definitely more gritter than toney Palo Alto (though less so today). Stanford seems to be much more of a self-contained campus than UC, so there are relatively less students roaming downtown PA than UC kids walking around downtown Berkeley.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:06 AM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
Piedmont ? My parents lived in an apartment on Howe Street, around the corner from Wells Fargo Bank. An Italian deli across the street from the bank, it still a desirable town? What about the Grand Lake area in Oakland ?

Graduated from Oakland Tech (Technical) High School, weather ideal. Moved to Concord, April/May, starting to warm up. July, if I remember, 90 * cool, 100+ hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland