Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 07:16 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times

Advertisements

Chinatown Shop Owner Who Saved Woman from Robbery By Firing Gun is Arrested, Bailed Out

https://news.yahoo.com/chinatown-sho...163937062.html

You can't defend yourself in SF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 08:25 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Chinatown Shop Owner Who Saved Woman from Robbery By Firing Gun is Arrested, Bailed Out

https://news.yahoo.com/chinatown-sho...163937062.html

You can't defend yourself in SF?
It took place in Oakland, not SF. And what do you mean, "defend yourself"? The person who fired the gun wasn't the robbery/mugging victim. He was a 3rd party getting involved to stop a purse-snatching, according to the info you posted. You should read the material you post, before commenting.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-18-2021 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-18-2021, 09:59 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I have great respect for people that live in these neighborhoods.
I consider them and their areas as one of California’s great treasures.
I have had the pleasure to work with several on many occasions.
They are good people.

I am also a strong supporter of the second amendment.

I’m not really sure what happened because I don’t give blind faith to the printed word.
Mistakes and misquotes do happen.

If this actually happened as reported I think he was wrong.
Firing a weapon should only be done to save a life.
It should never be done for saving property.
I don’t think an object is worth this.

I think (if this is correct) that he made a really bad judgment call.
This is not worth ruining his life though.

If this is indeed a case of “a really bad judgment” I think he could use some training.
If this person is actually prosecuted maybe few classes in safety might be the best for all.

That’s all I got.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:27 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
OPD wants people to call 911? That's rich! OPD doesn't come when you call them. People (including my friends) don't even bother contacting them about property crimes anymore. A friend of mine was assaulted by a burglar in the parking lot of his loft a few years ago, and OPD wouldn't even come out to take a report. Another friend of mine had her car stolen so the vehicle could be used as a getaway vehicle in other crimes, and OPD's only effort to handle the situation was to ask her for close to a thousand dollars to get the vehicle out of impound.

I assure you that, unlike OPD, a good chunk of the public supports the shop owner and not the criminal. The Chinese community in particular is vulnerable and the city only gives them lip service.

P.S. FYI, Oakland and SF are two different cities.

P.P.S. This might be a good time for Charles Bronson fans to re-watch the Death Wish series. Maybe we should buy the shop owner a DVD box set!

Old 02-18-2021, 11:37 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It took place in Oakland, not SF. And what do you mean, "defend yourself"? The person who fired the gun wasn't the robbery/mugging victim. He was a 3rd party getting involved to stop a purse-snatching, according to the info you posted. You should read the material you post, before commenting.
Defend yourself, defend others....does that really matter here? The main point seems completely lost on you.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:39 AM

Oakland, SF, etc...doesn't matter. All of the Bay Area and pretty much most of CA is like this. You can't defend yourself.

And for a city like Oakland to implore people to call authorities instead is extremely laughable. The criminals have pretty much taken over.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Defend yourself, defend others....does that really matter here? The main point seems completely lost on you.
"Does that really matter here"? Of course; that's the crux of the story. To the police, it mattered, as was explained in the article, and the guy ended up in jail with a hefty bail set. The OP's comment comes across as trollish. Of course you can defend yourself in Oakland, or anywhere else in the Bay Area. Defending himself isn't what the shopowner was doing.

The OP doesn't seem to have read his own posted link. He didn't even know what city the crime had taken place in, let alone the details of the story. That's indicative that the OP had an agenda in posting the story, besides merely informing people of a news item.

Still, the case has interesting implications, especially for the hordes of people out there, who believe that carrying guns will help them stop crimes in progress happening to others.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-18-2021 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-18-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Oakland, SF, etc...doesn't matter. All of the Bay Area and pretty much most of CA is like this. You can't defend yourself.

And for a city like Oakland to implore people to call authorities instead is extremely laughable. The criminals have pretty much taken over.
Of course you can defend yourself. The story isn't about someone trying to defend themselves.

And sure, the police chief said, "we would prefer people call LE, be good observers, and inform us of the details". Sure, but but how could the shopowner have done that, with a crime taking place right in front of him? He's supposed to call 911 right then and there? Well who knows, maybe that would have deterred the crime and caused the perp to run out the door. If the perp had turned to attack the shopowner as he was reporting the crime, then the owner could have claimed self-defense, and wouldn't have gone to jail.

So...maybe police have a point? But not everyone reporting a crime in progress will have a gun to defend themselves with, in case things go horribly wrong. Should be an interesting court case. I hope the shop owner can afford a good lawyer, now that $60,000 of his money, or somebody's money, was spent on getting him out of jail.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Does that really matter here"? Of course; that's the crux of the story. To the police, it mattered, as was explained in the article, and the guy ended up in jail with a hefty bail set. The OP's comment is trollish. Of course you can defend yourself in Oakland, or anywhere else in the Bay Area. Defending himself isn't what the shopowner was doing.

The OP doesn't seem to have read his own posted link. He didn't even know what city the crime had taken place in, let alone the details of the story. That's indicative that the OP had an agenda in posting the story, besides merely informing people of a news item.

Still, the case has interesting implications, especially for the hordes of people out there, who believe that carrying guns will help them stop crimes in progress happening to others.
You can't shoot someone for trying to rob you in CA so no you can't really defend yourself here.

Who cares whether it was Oakland or SF, they're right next to each other and not relevant to the point at all.

When the police are doing little to stop crimes in cities like Oakland and SF it's hard to really blame them for wanting to.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:19 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
You guys do know that both towns have a Chinatown right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland