Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 09:40 AM

234 posts, read 303,705 times

Advertisements

Morning folks,

I've recently accepted a job transfer up to the bay area and would like some general info from someone who is currently living in the area. I am originally from northern California, but haven't lived there since 2012. I know things have changed a bit in the last decade. We are looking to rent for about six months to familiarize ourselves again before we probably buy something. Unless the job is horrible, then we are likely headed out of state all together....

These are the areas I'd like to get a quick rundown on. I am mostly interested in crime/safety since there's a pretty solid chance we are only going to be there for a short time before we zero in on where we'd like to buy. How is the crime in these areas nowadays? Any recommendations for apartment complexes in particular? (Have to be pet friendly, bigger dogs).

Antioch
Vacaville
Fairfield
Santa Rosa
Pittsburg
V A L L E J O

If anyone wants to offer some info thanks! Don't worry about commute times, that's not an issue for me. Sac is also an option if there's nothing workable in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 01:09 PM

68 posts, read 62,565 times
Was walking the waterfront in Vallejo yesterday after checking up on my four plex. In that time period I saw a dice game in the parking lot with people about to brawl and a bunch of n words being thrown around. Continued my walk and eventually got close to Vallejo heights and was greeted with a guy shooting off seven rounds. It was at this point I called the police and like everytime I call them in Vallejo I got an attitude from the operator. Waited 20 mins and the police never showed up. As far as I know someone wasn’t shot. I have also witnessed a drive by in that town and someone getting murdered on a corner not far from my place.

Fairfield I heard is Vallejo lite, still ratchet as hell and you will see red light running all the time as well.

Antioch I heard is about the same as Vallejo.

I get mixed opinion on Pittsburg, I heard it’s as bad as Vallejo but I also hear it’s also not that bad.

Santa Rosa is fine, far away from everything but it’s a very nice city.

Vacaville is also really nice, but again far out and lots of traffic.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:29 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times
I think of those Santa Rosa is probably safest. There are some bad areas, but the good areas are pretty good. Close to Napa and outdoors so a lot to do. Probably most expensive too.

Antioch and Vallejo I haven’t heard a lot of good things about as far as crime.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Morning folks,

I've recently accepted a job transfer up to the bay area and would like some general info from someone who is currently living in the area. I am originally from northern California, but haven't lived there since 2012. I know things have changed a bit in the last decade. We are looking to rent for about six months to familiarize ourselves again before we probably buy something. Unless the job is horrible, then we are likely headed out of state all together....

These are the areas I'd like to get a quick rundown on. I am mostly interested in crime/safety since there's a pretty solid chance we are only going to be there for a short time before we zero in on where we'd like to buy. How is the crime in these areas nowadays? Any recommendations for apartment complexes in particular? (Have to be pet friendly, bigger dogs).

Antioch
Vacaville
Fairfield
Santa Rosa
Pittsburg
V A L L E J O

If anyone wants to offer some info thanks! Don't worry about commute times, that's not an issue for me. Sac is also an option if there's nothing workable in those areas.
I don't know where you are going to be working, or what your budget is but you might consider Walnut Creek, Concord, Martinez or Benicia. Apartments that welcome large dogs are hard to find, but you can check Rentals on Trulia or another real estate site.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:34 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Out of those choices Santa Rosa or Vacaville. I personally would not live in any of the others.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:18 AM

579 posts, read 513,470 times
I could see Fairfield if it was in that Green Valley area.

Though I would second the notion that Santa Rosa and Vacaville are the only two doable ones.

For the record I would say Pittsburg>Fairfield>Vallejo>Antioch. Anitoch is the worst.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post

Any recommendations for apartment complexes in particular? (Have to be pet friendly, bigger dogs).

Antioch
Vacaville
Fairfield
Santa Rosa
Pittsburg
V A L L E J O

Santa Rosa. I have a friend I used to work with that lives in the apts in Fountaingrove on Kelsey. I think she pays around $3,200? for rent & she has a dog.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:59 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Santa Rosa......in my opinion, no contest

Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Santa Rosa and Vacaville are the only ones worth considering

Old 05-05-2021, 09:57 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Santa Rosa and Vacaville are the only ones worth considering
Agree, but will add the north side of Fairfield is pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland