Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 10:01 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Just to give you an idea of scale, Apple's massive headquarters project in Cupertino cost a staggering $5 billion. This proposal by the Oakland A's, by the renderings released, looks like they are darn near building a little city in what could possibly be one of the most expensive projects ever undertaken in the Bay Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury News
The full project development will expand around Howard Terminal and Jack London Square and include 3,000 units of affordable housing,1.5 million square feet of offices and 270,000 square feet of retail space. The project also includes a 3,500-person indoor performance center and a 400-room hotel.

The overall cost includes $450 million in community benefits and $955 million in projected general fund revenues. In return, the city of Oakland would allocate $855 million for infrastructure improvements. The A’s also included a non-relocation agreement with Oakland, which means the organization will not engage in any potential relocation outside of the city while the agreement is in place...
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/...build-stadium/

So the team is asking the city for $855 million----normally I would be 100% against a single penny of any public money, but in this case, given how much we are getting in return and given the size and scope of this project and the transformative affect this could have on the waterfront, and the subsequent investment that could come about, I think this is actually a good investment on the city's part.

At this point tho, given Oakland's track record of wrecking developments with deranged NIMBYISM and unreasonable red tape, I am highly skeptical that the city has the wherewithall to actually get this done, but I certainly have hope that this will happen.

Also, part of me thinks the team is proposing such a seemingly impossible project on purpose knowing full well the city won't go for it, just so they can therefore declare that they've tried to make it work and now are leaving...

The Chronice has a headline this morning which says that city officials 'balk' at this proposal, but the article itself doesnt really read that way at all, such a melodramatic title.

Anyway, against all probability, fingers crossed.

Here is a rendering. This is what $12 Billion looks like:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 10:52 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
I don't see it happening with that price tag and was really disappointed when I saw that. I'm just surprised it ended up being that much, why on earth did they think that was even feasible?

Old 04-24-2021, 12:53 PM

68 posts, read 62,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Just to give you an idea of scale, Apple's massive headquarters project in Cupertino cost a staggering $5 billion. This proposal by the Oakland A's, by the renderings released, looks like they are darn near building a little city in what could possibly be one of the most expensive projects ever undertaken in the Bay Area.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/...build-stadium/

So the team is asking the city for $855 million----normally I would be 100% against a single penny of any public money, but in this case, given how much we are getting in return and given the size and scope of this project and the transformative affect this could have on the waterfront, and the subsequent investment that could come about, I think this is actually a good investment on the city's part.

At this point tho, given Oakland's track record of wrecking developments with deranged NIMBYISM and unreasonable red tape, I am highly skeptical that the city has the wherewithall to actually get this done, but I certainly have hope that this will happen.

Also, part of me thinks the team is proposing such a seemingly impossible project on purpose knowing full well the city won't go for it, just so they can therefore declare that they've tried to make it work and now are leaving...

The Chronice has a headline this morning which says that city officials 'balk' at this proposal, but the article itself doesnt really read that way at all, such a melodramatic title.

Anyway, against all probability, fingers crossed.

Here is a rendering. This is what $12 Billion looks like:
Saw this yesterday when I was watching the game. I personally don’t agree with them using all union work as they tend to raise costs overtime and from what I see don’t have better labor then non union work.

Idk how true this is but someone was saying that the giants have been hiring proxy lawyers to stall the project. I replied that seems like some conspiracy theory and told him of the track record of nimby regulations in the Bay Area. He was sure that the lawyers were being payed by the giants over the years to mess with the A’s plans. Even showed me the lawyer and what firm he represents. Still don’t know if it’s true.

If this doesent work for the A’s idk what there next stop will be. I felt they could have always just redesigned the current area and have complete control. It is Also directly on a Bart line which is convenient for games.

If they decide to leave, which I never thought that was an option, but if they do I think Sacramento should be there next location. Still have a portion of the Northern California market and don’t have to compete with the giants fandom in the Bay Area.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:15 PM

It’s probably true, the Giants have been trying to push the A’s out of the Bay Area for decades. They’re such a POS organization.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:01 PM

579 posts, read 513,470 times
I'm a big A's fan, have been since I was younger and the Rivercats were the A's triple A affiliate. I remember watching Gio Gonzales pitch and thinking "this guy is gonna be a star one day". Broke my heart when the Giants took over, and I haven't been to a Rivercats game since. Not even with the kids.

Sacramento had to move heaven and earth, just to get the Kings to stay. And had it not been for some legal loopholes, they probably would be long gone. Major League Soccer has stalled as a key investor has backed out. There is no way Sac could support a baseball team. We are hanging on borrowed time as it is.

The east bay sports market seems to be dead. Raiders and Warriors are done with Oakland. It's all about San Jose up 101 to Marin, where all the dough is. No body cares about the East Bay anymore. I could see Austin, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, or someplace.

I like the Coli, as the New York Times put it, it is baseball's last great dive bar. The stalls are so nasty, sometimes I have had to pee on the floor, because it was a better choice than adding urine to an over flowing burrito diharea toilet. Where the food is so bad you have to be drunk to eat it. Where babies have been made in parking lots (well mostly raiders games, but still).

Giants games are whack and so are Giants fans. Most Giants fans I come across don't actually know **** about baseball and haven't been fans for more than a decade.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:42 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
I'm a big A's fan, have been since I was younger and the Rivercats were the A's triple A affiliate. I remember watching Gio Gonzales pitch and thinking "this guy is gonna be a star one day". Broke my heart when the Giants took over, and I haven't been to a Rivercats game since. Not even with the kids.

Sacramento had to move heaven and earth, just to get the Kings to stay. And had it not been for some legal loopholes, they probably would be long gone. Major League Soccer has stalled as a key investor has backed out. There is no way Sac could support a baseball team. We are hanging on borrowed time as it is.

The east bay sports market seems to be dead. Raiders and Warriors are done with Oakland. It's all about San Jose up 101 to Marin, where all the dough is. No body cares about the East Bay anymore. I could see Austin, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, or someplace.

I like the Coli, as the New York Times put it, it is baseball's last great dive bar. The stalls are so nasty, sometimes I have had to pee on the floor, because it was a better choice than adding urine to an over flowing burrito diharea toilet. Where the food is so bad you have to be drunk to eat it. Where babies have been made in parking lots (well mostly raiders games, but still).

Giants games are whack and so are Giants fans. Most Giants fans I come across don't actually know **** about baseball and haven't been fans for more than a decade.

I was conceived at the Desert Inn...after a show...in Las Vegas....In my parents room I assume, but I never did quiz my mother re that detail.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:52 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post

I know plenty of people agree with you, but I've never understood that attitude.

I'm a lifelong Giants fan (my parents took me to the '62 World Series, but I was too young to really know what was going on), and have been a fan of the A's (at least as strong as I am a Giants fan) since they came to Oakland in the 60s. I'm a fan of both. I did root for the Giants in the 89 WS, but only because they hadn't won a WS since moving to the Bay Area (I attended every A's postseason game in Oakland through 1975)

Old 04-25-2021, 05:25 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
If nothing else, they’ll need to take out quite a bit of those office buildings, switch to housing instead. They’d look nice in the skyline, but office real estate is going to plummet soon, with so many companies and their employees learning they can do their work remotely.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:40 AM

24 posts, read 28,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It’s probably true, the Giants have been trying to push the A’s out of the Bay Area for decades. They’re such a POS organization.
Who is a POS organization? The Giants or the A's?

Old 04-26-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJenMO71 View Post
Who is a POS organization? The Giants or the A's?
The Giants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland