Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 11:00 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,080,851 times

Advertisements

I just found this article.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nort...et-norcal/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 12:01 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Interesting. One person's
Quote:
quaint waterfront town, [...] home to a wonderful main street where you can explore shops [...]
is many other people's tourist trap. I loved it as a teenager, but unless it's upgraded over the years, IDK if it would be of much interest to adults. For one thing, there are the crowds. But maybe because of Covid, they're sparser. Maybe there's not as much kitsch now.

I'll be interested to see what others say. I really enjoyed the ambience created by the presence of the marina along the main drag.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:47 AM

2,335 posts, read 816,532 times
Eh, for a nice lunch overlooking the Bay...sure. There's really not a lot to it. A bunch of touristy shops for all of 3 blocks that most people aren't going to buy anything at.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:00 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Eh, for a nice lunch overlooking the Bay...sure. There's really not a lot to it. A bunch of touristy shops for all of 3 blocks that most people aren't going to buy anything at.
I drove the bridge, ate lunch with a nice view and drove back over the bridge...........yeah that was 25 yrs ago!

Old 02-23-2022, 11:30 PM

389 posts, read 401,372 times
I am in my 30s now. I still feel Marin county is worth checking out. It’s landscape is unique with a coastal setting and hilly terrain, driving on the 101 was adventurous. When I was 15, I took my first vacation to the Bay Area. We rented a car and drove to the Muir Woods tree spot. I was very fond of San Francisco at the time. You gotta understand though, coming from 3000 miles away and seeing SF in person was one of my more memorable vacations.

Then when I was 20 we took the ferry to Sausalito. A true California experience was provided. Sausalito is pleasant to the eye and unique as well. This is what makes the Bay Area so much different than most major cities. You are so close to smaller communities. I don’t know if you consider Sausalito a suburb, but just the fact that it’s a short ride over the bridge and has a great view makes it worth being on a postcard.

The shops downtown are good for people who want “California” printed shirts and luxury items. Sausalito struck me as a wealthy town. I had the privilege of eating at Scoma’s, which literally is built on a pier over the water. Finally, we drove up to the homes that were built on hills. Those homes had amazing views of the water and even the city.

Overall, I would rate Sausalito as a good residential town with tourist features.

Last edited by globetrekker96; 02-23-2022 at 11:39 PM..

Old 02-25-2022, 11:05 AM

317 posts, read 308,421 times
I prefer the other side of Sausalito - down Bunker Road towards the headlands and beaches - love visiting MMC. We got married on Rodeo beach a few years ago then took our guests to MMC before having lunch at the Trident.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:33 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I am in my 30s now. I still feel Marin county is worth checking out. It’s landscape is unique with a coastal setting and hilly terrain, driving on the 101 was adventurous. When I was 15, I took my first vacation to the Bay Area. We rented a car and drove to the Muir Woods tree spot. I was very fond of San Francisco at the time. You gotta understand though, coming from 3000 miles away and seeing SF in person was one of my more memorable vacations.

Then when I was 20 we took the ferry to Sausalito. A true California experience was provided. Sausalito is pleasant to the eye and unique as well. This is what makes the Bay Area so much different than most major cities. You are so close to smaller communities. I don’t know if you consider Sausalito a suburb, but just the fact that it’s a short ride over the bridge and has a great view makes it worth being on a postcard.

The shops downtown are good for people who want “California” printed shirts and luxury items. Sausalito struck me as a wealthy town. I had the privilege of eating at Scoma’s, which literally is built on a pier over the water. Finally, we drove up to the homes that were built on hills. Those homes had amazing views of the water and even the city.

Overall, I would rate Sausalito as a good residential town with tourist features.
Marin County is, indeed, beautiful and unique, except in the context of the Bay Area and coastal NorCal, where "unique" is normal, thanks in part to the redwoods. And Sausalito's downtown is, indeed, touristy, but scenic.

I think if people want the Marin County vibe, there are better choices, like Mill Valley, Fairfax, even San Rafael. Maybe Tiburon. For people who can WFH, there are many other choices. I know someone who lived in Tomales, and loved it, until the fires a few years ago blew smoke in that direction. They packed up their family and moved across the country, and regretted it. Now they're back in the Bay Area.

I enjoyed this post. It's pretty accurate. Really takes me back to when I was 15 and exploring Sausalito (and Muir Woods) via GG Transit. Good memories.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:35 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,234,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I think if people want the Marin County vibe, there are better choices, like Mill Valley, Fairfax, even San Rafael. Maybe Tiburon. For people who can WFH, there are many other choices. I know someone who lived in Tomales, and loved it, until the fires a few years ago blew smoke in that direction. They packed up their family and moved across the country, and regretted it. Now they're back in the Bay Area.
What about Marin City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland