Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 06:45 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,061 times

Advertisements

Greetings! It's been quite a spell since I've posted anything here on CD and in honesty, don't get on the Calif. threads hardly at all (Am I missing something?)

Getting to my question, I have family including a couple of my grandkids that will be taking a trip out to the Bay area the end of this month. They will be staying in the general area of San Francisco for three days before heading to the Sierra's for some skiing. My biggest concern, is the safety factor of the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 region. I hear how it's really gone down hill in recent years and that crime has become quite the issue. My daughter is especially concerned and I told her about this forum and how some concerns can be addressed. Actually, as I'm writing this, I'm watching YouTube video's of the Wharf area shot recently and still looks quite appealing to me. It's been over 20 years since I was last out that way myself. I notice a fair amount of public parking near these area's. Is there plenty of security around there?

Lastly, what kind of activities close by there that is kid friendly? I guess the bottom line question, besides Pier 39, if a family of 4 with young kids has 3 days to see the SFO area, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for all responses. .... and yes, I probably have been missing something not being on here at least a little more often.

Last edited by rockyinyourradio; 11-21-2022 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 07:11 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,956 times
I've never had a safety concern at Fisherman's wharf.

For the kids

https://www.exploratorium.edu/

https://secretsanfrancisco.com/sf-pl...ese-mythology/

The 2nd link is the upgraded Chinese playground (it's new name is dedicated to my wife's Uncle)

Old 11-21-2022, 07:48 PM

314 posts, read 487,538 times
A tourist trap, safer than other places in the city. Took my son there in August to ride the ferry.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:53 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Years ago, our youngsters enjoyed "The Exploratorium", The Aquarium & gardens in "Golden Gate Park", the zoo, especially Oakland Zoo, was much enjoyed, riding the Go Karts in San Jose...

They loved "Great America". It's EXPENSIVE.
Enjoy Yourselves.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:09 AM

13 posts, read 234,757 times
The worst thing you will see is maybe one street person sitting over by the cruise ship terminal a block away on the Embarcadero. I've never been accosted there. It's a beautiful area during the day. All day parking in the 5 story lot is available. Two hour parking is available down by Battery and Embarcadero. The Exploratorium for kids is amazing, better than Pier 39.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:10 PM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Greetings! It's been quite a spell since I've posted anything here on CD and in honesty, don't get on the Calif. threads hardly at all (Am I missing something?)

Getting to my question, I have family including a couple of my grandkids that will be taking a trip out to the Bay area the end of this month. They will be staying in the general area of San Francisco for three days before heading to the Sierra's for some skiing. My biggest concern, is the safety factor of the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 region. I hear how it's really gone down hill in recent years and that crime has become quite the issue. My daughter is especially concerned and I told her about this forum and how some concerns can be addressed. Actually, as I'm writing this, I'm watching YouTube video's of the Wharf area shot recently and still looks quite appealing to me. It's been over 20 years since I was last out that way myself. I notice a fair amount of public parking near these area's. Is there plenty of security around there?

Lastly, what kind of activities close by there that is kid friendly? I guess the bottom line question, besides Pier 39, if a family of 4 with young kids has 3 days to see the SFO area, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for all responses. .... and yes, I probably have been missing something not being on here at least a little more often.

The last time I was there (2019) I found nothing to worry about (at least during the afternoon) except car break-ins.

I wouldn't recommend parking a car in their area regardless of time.
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...mo-link-block2

Last edited by john3232; 05-10-2023 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-12-2023, 12:26 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,635 times
Nothing to worry about in Fisherman's Wharf in general. In fact, San Francisco is one of the safety big cities in the country. However, it does have a high property crime rate and people should not park rental cars anywhere within the city limits. Same goes for Oakland, which probably is not an issue for you since it isn't a big tourist destination.

There is one super sketchy neighborhood in SF, and it's called the Tenderloin. Easy to avoid if you know where it is, but because SF is so small, it's relatively easy for the oblivious to wander over there. It's more depressing than dangerous, to be perfectly frank, and you should be fine (physically, anyway) during the day. Might feel somewhat unsavory at night.

I would be much more worried about safety in a wide variety of America's large cities, as well as pretty much anywhere in Texas, which seems to be having regular mass shootings these days. Be wary of the Fox "news" narrative, which really focuses on stories that generate views and clicks (i.e., SF is falling apart) at the expense of actual troubling stories (see: constant mass shootings in Texas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland