Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 65,096 times

Advertisements

I live near the Millbrae station. Does it make more sense to take BART directly to the Embarcadero station, or Caltrain + another mode of public transportation to Embarcadero station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 PM

110 posts, read 376,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumsbeard View Post
I live near the Millbrae station. Does it make more sense to take BART directly to the Embarcadero station, or Caltrain + another mode of public transportation to Embarcadero station?
Hi. I am new at this board. I have a question for the regulars. Do you get a lot of troll posts here?

In regards to the question posed.. I would think that the BART alternative would be the obvious choice as it stops at the EMB. You don't want to be messing with the Jitney buses...God forbid.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Samtrans has an MX express bus which will take you straight to the Transbay Terminal at Mission & First for less than either of them, and it would split the difference between Caltrain being slower and BART being faster. If you're going at odd times, though, BART is the way to go.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:01 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,817 times
If you catch the Baby Bullet, and everything goes right you can transfer to the N, and taking the One 24 minutes after the hour you will get to Embarcadero in 29 minutes, and will have paid $6.50 for the privilege. The other baby bullet + N takes 33 minutes, but you get 5 minutes to transfer, instead of 1, which is almost impossible to make.

You can take BART for $4.00 it takes 34 minutes, no transfers. The latter might get you there more slowly, but is only a few minutes, and it costs less. When BART went through the airport it was damn slow, and if you were driving to Millbrae I would've suggested taking the Caltrain, or driving to San Bruno BART instead. Either way the peninsula service will be slow because it has to go through 4 stations in SF before getting to Market Street. BART is faster from the East Bay.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 65,096 times
Thanks Cardinal. I really appreciate your response. I was concerned that Caltrain would be difficult because of that transfer in the city. I can't wait until the Transbay Terminal is rebuilt.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM

29 posts, read 119,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumsbeard View Post
Thanks Cardinal. I really appreciate your response. I was concerned that Caltrain would be difficult because of that transfer in the city. I can't wait until the Transbay Terminal is rebuilt.
the transfer really isn't so difficult to catch. there are TWO lines you can catch to getcha there - the N or the T. they both stop at the Caltrain station and take you to Embarcadero. Invariably when you get off the Caltrain either the N or the T will be coming within 5 minutes. I used to commute via Caltrain before I moved up to the city, and now that there are TWO metro muni lines at the Caltrain station, it's usually a very very short wait.

Caltrain offers monthly passes, BART does not. i reckon a monthly pass from Caltrian + a MUNI pass will end up costing less than paying $4.00 on BART every day, but I don't have the time to calculate that right now. look into the Caltrain monthly pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland