Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM

15 posts, read 44,574 times

Advertisements

I have a son who is a high functioning autistic like person. He left the board and care that he was living in due to fact that the owner wanted to sell the property. My son could not find housing before the date he was to leave the other place, so, he stayed with me. He was here for two weeks, and yesterday, he became combative, so I called the police. The police told me that even though the place I rent is paid by me, my son is legally entitled to live there. The police said that after 72 hours the person has the right to live there as if it were his own home, and that he is entitled to come and go as pleases, and, if I lock him out, he is still entitled to live there as long as he wishes. This seems unfair. The police took him to the crisis center and said that if he returned later on that I had to let him in because it became "his home" and that I could get into trouble if I did not allow him in.
I live in California. Can anyone verify this?
To make matters worse, the crisis center told me that if I didn't allow him to come home, that I could be charged with abandonment. He has disabilities;however, he was aware of what he was doing. I told the crisis center that they could send me to jail before I would allow my son to return home. Isn't that crazy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 AM

161 posts, read 697,051 times
Wow I dont understand what they are saying? Is he over 18? WTF? Weird, he must've been acting crazy if u got the popo involved. Maybe let him know the deal!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
If he's under 18 you are responsible for him. If he's an adult you need to arrange a verbal or written rental contract which you can then end. If he's disabled he may have some additional needs, eg you can't put a disabled person out on the street for no reason.

I suggest looking into tenants rights, particularly squatters rights in your area. The best option is to help him find somewhere else to live.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM

103 posts, read 366,939 times
Why don't you just shoot the kid? Your hate is showing. Ripley

Old 08-14-2008, 06:37 PM

74 posts, read 236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisashomeoffice View Post
I have a son who is a high functioning autistic like person. He left the board and care that he was living in due to fact that the owner wanted to sell the property. My son could not find housing before the date he was to leave the other place, so, he stayed with me. He was here for two weeks, and yesterday, he became combative, so I called the police. The police told me that even though the place I rent is paid by me, my son is legally entitled to live there. The police said that after 72 hours the person has the right to live there as if it were his own home, and that he is entitled to come and go as pleases, and, if I lock him out, he is still entitled to live there as long as he wishes. This seems unfair. The police took him to the crisis center and said that if he returned later on that I had to let him in because it became "his home" and that I could get into trouble if I did not allow him in.
To make matters worse, the crisis center told me that if I didn't allow him to come home, that I could be charged with abandonment. He has disabilities;however, he was aware of what he was doing. I told the crisis center that they could send me to jail before I would allow my son to return home. Isn't that crazy!!
You should watch 'Pacific Heights' ... I don't live in California, but if I did I would not rent or have anyone stay with me. I think they are correct... you might want to check the housing laws in your state.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:25 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisashomeoffice View Post
Wow your post left me speechless! You refer to your son as an "autistic like person"???? What is THAT? It sounds so cold. If he is combative, then get him some help. There are so many resources in California to help both children and adults with autism. How can you treat your son like this? No matter what the issue is, he is your flesh and blood! If he is autistic, he may need extra assistance and you need to help him.

I speak from experience...my son is autistic and whether he is 20 or 50, I would NEVER abandon him. Who abandons a child with disabilities?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland