Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 PM

186 posts, read 475,197 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't understand why San Jose has it's own forum, it's part of the san francsisco bay area, why is it divided.

Should just be San Francisco- Oakland- San Jose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM

326 posts, read 689,286 times
Nella, some one who lives in San Jose probably has much different concerns than someone living in San Francisco as far as moving / rent / methods of transportation / jobs or other questions. They may be culturally similar and highly dependent of the other but for all intents and purposes I think someone planning a move to San Francisco would have much different questions and concerns than somebody moving to San Jose.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
Nella, some one who lives in San Jose probably has much different concerns than someone living in San Francisco as far as moving / rent / methods of transportation / jobs or other questions. They may be culturally similar and highly dependent of the other but for all intents and purposes I think someone planning a move to San Francisco would have much different questions and concerns than somebody moving to San Jose.
Someone moving to SF has very different concerns than someone moving to Fremont, Walnut Creek, Marin County and about 75% of the Bay Area. I don't see your point here.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:31 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I know I'm in the minority, but I still feel like San Jose is it's own distinct area that doesn't really feel like the Bay Area to me. I worked in Saratoga for a while and spent enough time in the San Jose area there to form this opinion. Yeah it's only an hour from SF/Oakland, but it just feels different to me. But I'm a transplant, so flame away

Old 05-04-2013, 03:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I still feel like San Jose is it's own distinct area that doesn't really feel like the Bay Area to me. I worked in Saratoga for a while and spent enough time in the San Jose area there to form this opinion. Yeah it's only an hour from SF/Oakland, but it just feels different to me. But I'm a transplant, so flame away
You're not wrong about it feeling different. This is actually true of the whole Bay Area. If we considered every area in the Bay Area that feels different to be different, there would be no Bay Area. Silicon Valley is distinct. Then again, no other place feels like SF either. On the other hand Oakland and Berkeley are oddballs too especially compared to the rest of CA. I always felt like they fit better along Puget Sound. East Bay isn't the same everywhere. Having lived in both Oakland and Richmond, they are not the same even though people often lump them together. The outer East Bay is different still. Then the North Bay is also a collection if moderately distinct areas.

I read the first few post in this thread. I will say that while Oakland and Berkeley are distict from SF, they are often lumped together because they are so close. In fact, they technically border SF as their city limits (and county line) extend into the bay and meet with SF.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM

326 posts, read 689,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Someone moving to SF has very different concerns than someone moving to Fremont, Walnut Creek, Marin County and about 75% of the Bay Area. I don't see your point here.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Because someone moving to Fremont or Marin County may be working in San Francisco or an adjacent county. I was only answering the obvious question, that was my point.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella925 View Post
I honestly don't understand why San Jose has it's own forum, it's part of the san francsisco bay area, why is it divided.

Should just be San Francisco- Oakland- San Jose
I agree... it should all be one forum or be separated into 3 forums (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose)

I actually feel like San Francisco & San Jose are more united than San Francisco & East Bay.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I agree... it should all be one forum or be separated into 3 forums (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose)

I actually feel like San Francisco & San Jose are more united than San Francisco & East Bay.
Perhaps more the most of the East Bay. Certain more than SF is with Fremont, Richmond or Walnut Creek. The five cities in the little Berkeley-Oakland area are rather connected to SF though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland