Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:43 PM

8 posts, read 34,902 times

Advertisements

We are originally from NYC and spent the past two years in eastern NC. I don't love NC, but my wife does not like it at all. Our neighbors are very into our business. We are catholic and a definite minority. The biggest problem is we picked a smallish city that's mostly a retirement community with many older people, as well as people who do not want to see the city grow or change at all. The police would rather give tickets to cyclists then ever see bike lanes added. They pretty much hate northerners. Southern hospitality is not what they claim. It's similar to NYC, you have your nice people and your rude people, just on a much smaller scale.

Sorry for the little rant, but I have a job offer near Santa Rosa and my wife and I are considering relocating. I basically have two questions. Having searched the recent MLS there appear to be homes in the price range we can afford around $250,000-$275,000, but can anyone tell me how the neighborhoods these homes are in are like? We like to be safe walking our dog after dark, as well as exercising (biking, jogging, etc).

The good part we might defintely miss is the low crime rate where we are now, one or no murders each of the past five years.

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM

38 posts, read 200,582 times
Housing prices vary by neighborhoods and cities. There are some great neighborhoods & bad ones. There's also a lot of Foreclosures in the San Francisco Bay Area at this time. So you can find a lot of great deals!

Outdoor exercising is very easily found. There are a lot of trails in Sonoma County.

I highly suggest logging on to the local paper, pressdemo.com for ideas on crime & the surrounding neighborhoods. There have been gang problems in some areas of Santa Rosa.

Depending on where you live compared to where you work, be ready for traffic. The traffic in the northern Bay Area is bad. A large number of people live in Sonoma or Marin county & commute to San Francisco. My BIL lives in Bennett Valley (off Hwy 12) and works in SF. It takes him over an hour to get to SF, leaving Santa Rosa by 6a. There is construction on 101 in multiple cities, and depending on the work they do, traffic can back up very easily.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,788 times
How "close" to Santa Rosa is your job offer??

with regards to your price range, it would be difficult to find a single family home in a neighborhood *I* would care to live (I have lived in Sonoma Cty for MANY years...but you might find a condo in a nice area. Like the previous poster mentioned, Bennett Valley is nice, also Rincoln Valley, some of the older neighborhoods like around Humboldt St, Beaver St, etc.

Stay out of the Roseland area!!!!! pretty much most if not all of zip 95407.
Some of the street names are Rosewood, Cottonwood, (lots of "wood" names, Corby Ave...to name a few...lots of problems there...

Also look in Rohnert Park, just a handful of miles south..we have lived there for 11 years now and have been happy.

Good Luck

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM

63 posts, read 293,162 times
If you are older 55 plus then there are some great deals on mobile homes. I think you can get an older two bedroom for $15,000 or less and a space rent of $400 or less per month. In the good areas like Rincon Valley and north central Santa Rosathere are four mobile home parks. I mean if you want to wait a few years to let Real Estate drift down or to determine whether this area is for you.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 293,162 times
Also this area seems to have alot of Catholic churches. I was helped by Catholic charities, they gave me $25 to get a drivers license when I was homeless. I needed the drivers license to apply for jobs and get a checking account. When I did get some money I donated $35 to them to help someone else get their ID card or Drivers license. I am not even Catholic. They also run a homeless outreach center that allows you to receive mail and phonecalls as well as wash your clothes and take showers. I also ate at their daily free lunch program. Thank God for the Catholics.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
check out sebastopol and petaluma... smaller but more enjoyable IMO than SR...pretty boring/cookie cutter/vanilla...better than where you are though

Old 06-09-2009, 04:26 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotrek View Post
We are originally from NYC and spent the past two years in eastern NC. I don't love NC, but my wife does not like it at all. Our neighbors are very into our business. We are catholic and a definite minority. The biggest problem is we picked a smallish city that's mostly a retirement community with many older people, as well as people who do not want to see the city grow or change at all. The police would rather give tickets to cyclists then ever see bike lanes added. They pretty much hate northerners. Southern hospitality is not what they claim. It's similar to NYC, you have your nice people and your rude people, just on a much smaller scale.

Sorry for the little rant, but I have a job offer near Santa Rosa and my wife and I are considering relocating. I basically have two questions. Having searched the recent MLS there appear to be homes in the price range we can afford around $250,000-$275,000, but can anyone tell me how the neighborhoods these homes are in are like? We like to be safe walking our dog after dark, as well as exercising (biking, jogging, etc).

The good part we might defintely miss is the low crime rate where we are now, one or no murders each of the past five years.

Thank you for any input.
insert n. florida... and insert Chicago instead of NYC... same situation, moving to the same place... good luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 AM

138 posts, read 510,789 times
Petaluma and Sebastopol are even less affordable than Santa Rosa so If you are on a tight budget they are probably not the best locations to concentrate on.I agree with missdaisy about the roseland area,avoid . Also the Dutton Avenue area is not the best.I was born and raised in Santa Rosa and if I could afford to purchase there I would move back but...I just go and visit my family and look at houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland