Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 01:50 AM

27 posts, read 102,291 times

Advertisements

i currently live in San Francisco, and i've put some thought into moving, at no specific time but the thought crossed my mind and now im checkin out places that i may move to in the future.

Firstly Id like to say I like SF, I was born here and have lived here most my life. But the influx of the extremely wealthy have made me concerned and I dont know if im gonna be able to or want to co exist with all this rich trendy liberal pricks.

Im looking into cities all over, and what im lookin for is a middle class neighborhood that has a moderate to high asian population, has good public transit, and is located in a dense urban enviornment. So far ive looked into areas around LA which so far have been unsatisfactory and Flushing, Queens. So far im leaning on Queens, however it occured to me that Oakland might be more suitable seeing as its much much closer and i can still be near my friends and family. My only concern is that Oakland my be experiencing the same changes as San Francisco, so how is Oakland I rarely get over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 02:13 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanitoPasteles44 View Post
Im looking into cities all over, and what im lookin for is a middle class neighborhood that has a moderate to high asian population, has good public transit, and is located in a dense urban enviornment.
Oakland's Chinatown area is an excellent option if this is your criteria. Extremely walkable, high density, lots of middle class Asians, 3 bart stations within walking distance and countless bus lines. I dont think crime in Chinatown is much of an issue. Street smarts obviously apply as in any other urban environment but I rarely hear of crime there.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 AM

As far as the yuppie invasion, I can't lie.

Yes, there are tons of artists and hipsters moving to Oakland's inner districts. I wouldnt really classify them as yuppies(just yet) but unlike SF, where they are heavily concentrated, in Oakland they are seen as a welcome addition.

One thing I would like to point out though is that I notice they arent the BMW kind of hipster but more the bike messenger kind. Make sense?

Old 11-28-2008, 03:20 AM

27 posts, read 102,291 times
yeah i get the picture, and i dont really mind those types to much only that they seem to pave the way for the wealthier yuppies. i just wanna live somewhere that isnt endangered of being overtaken by the super wealthy as i cant stand those people. Oakland for me is a more realistic option for me, but i am really considering going to Flushing someday, the people on the threads seem to say that thier area is reasonable low crime, middle class, high asian concentration, subway line to manhattan and largely untouched by development, or gentrification of any kind. The only problem is leaving my family and friends all of whom live here in CA. So Oakland Chinatown seems fine, its definatley possible for me thanks for the info, are there any other asian neighborhoods in Oakland? or are they mainly in Chinatown?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanitoPasteles44 View Post
So Oakland Chinatown seems fine, its definatley possible for me thanks for the info, are there any other asian neighborhoods in Oakland? or are they mainly in Chinatown?
Actually, Id guess there are large asian concentrations in Oakland from Chinatown all the way to 23rd Avenue.

Merritt, Cleveland Heights and Ivy Hill all have large Asian populations, Cleveland Heights is a somewhat wealthyneighborhood, and is home to many asian americans whose families have been in the US for several generations.

If you travel just south of Downtown on International Bl you come across an area known as "New Chinatown" which is actually more vietnamese(at least the stores tend to be more vietnamese).

Further down International Bl you come into the San Antonio District which has large Laotian and Cambodian populations.

New Chinatown is predominantly asian but A LOT of artists and hipsters live in that area too now. As well as lots of blacks and some hispanics.

San Antonio District is incredibly diverse but unless you are not afraid of grit and/or moderate to high crime, I wouldnt consider it. Although its not nearly as bad as it looks, at least to me.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:33 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
What about Daly City? It's one of the few majority-Asian cities in the USA, public transit is excellent, and despite its density it is quite safe.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 AM

476 posts, read 2,818,440 times
There are not many people are speaking about Oakland
Is it a good city for the job ?
Is there the better city for the african american in California ?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxs78 View Post
There are not many people are speaking about Oakland
Is it a good city for the job ?
Is there the better city for the african american in California ?
Oakland is a dangerous city for blacks, much more than it is for whites. Unless you're interested in dealing drugs, I'd recommend El Cerrito, San Pablo, Hercules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland