Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM

20 posts, read 85,486 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility I may be working short term in the Lafayette area. And was wondering if Walnut Creek was culturally diverse? I would prefer to live in an area that was safe for a female and gay friendly-- maybe Oakland but from what I've read it looks like the morning commute is awful. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,277 times
Walnut Creek is fine. While it's no SF, it is still part of the bay area, and most who live there commute to SF anyways. Danville, San Ramon and blah-ish suburbs down in 680 corridor valley are a bit more conservative but Walnut Creek is not that much. People come to Walnut Creek from all around to shop and it has an incredible restaurant scene so it's a bit more happening in that area. You will find others who are gay friendly and openly gay. Walnut Creek is diverse enough.

The commute from Oakland to Lafayette is a mess because of the tunnel. They are working on a fourth bore as we speak. If it's short term, live in Walnut Creek or Lafayette.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
It's fine for gays, nobody will really care unless you stick out like a sore thumb for some reason. Plenty of gay people live here. Not sure what you mean by "gay friendly" but it obviously doesn't cater to them like the Castro or something. There is a gay bar off Civic Dr. Overall it's not a discriminatory place when it comes to gays.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the info! I simply want to avoid a "conservative" city that may be closed minded if a group of women or a couple wanted to enjoy a cup of coffee or go to a movie. I've been to cities where the vibe was definitely not "gay friendly." So it's good to know WC is similar to Oakland, etc. I'm not big on the bar scene. But thank you for all the input!!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Walnut Creek/Lafayette is gay friendly, and about as safe as it gets. Think of it as upper middle class to wealthy suburbs. It is definitely not diverse, but no one would feel uncomfortable there.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,629 times
The only thing Walnut Creek is concerned about is the size of your paycheck. Its fairly upscale and most residents are well educated, so sexual preference isn't going to raise any eyebrows.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM

245 posts, read 607,698 times
I live in a place called Pleasant Hill, just north of Walnut Creek. It is just like Walnut Creek, only a lot cheaper and without all the rapes. Why would you pay more just to live in Walnut Creek?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Great information, thanks! I would rather live in a more affordable & safe area for a single female. What is the commute like from Pleasant Hill to Lafayette? Are you speaking about "rapes" of ones pocket book?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
I live in a place called Pleasant Hill, just north of Walnut Creek. It is just like Walnut Creek, only a lot cheaper and without all the rapes. Why would you pay more just to live in Walnut Creek?
That's funny because despite Pleasant Hill being a smaller city it has more rapes than Walnut Creek.

Total number of rapes 2009
WC: 4
PH: 7

Rapes per 100K for 2009
WC: 6.3
PH: 21.3

//www.city-data.com/city/Walnut...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Pleasa...alifornia.html

Looks like you're three times as more likely to be raped in PH than WC.

Both areas are fine and safe it live in, WC is just more upscale, offers more, has a better location, and is a little safer.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel99 View Post
Great information, thanks! I would rather live in a more affordable & safe area for a single female. What is the commute like from Pleasant Hill to Lafayette? Are you speaking about "rapes" of ones pocket book?
Walnut Creek is safer than Pleasant Hill (not that there's ANYTHING to fear there either ).

In addition, there's more going on in WC, it's just a bigger city with restaurants, a bit of nightlife, bars, shopping, arts center, etc. which would make it more desirable for someone your age. Both are extremely safe communities. Pleasant Hill is nice but better for families with kids and somewhat sleepy overall. Ignore the strange post above regarding rapes. Easy enough to read poster's prior postings and get the gist of their "outlook" on the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland