Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 12,216 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've been impressed by the feedback in this forum and was hoping to gather some advice myself...

My husband's job will be moving us to the Bay Area, and neither of us have ever been there. Needless to say, we're very excited to be leaving the Wisconsin winters! He'll be working as a territory manager and will travel all over the wider Bay area (approx. Napa down to Santa Cruz) daily, so "commute" for him is not an issue. I'll be attending college classes and have my choice of schools in Sausalito, downtown SF, and western San Jose.

I plan on working full-time while attending school and would love to work in a library or bookstore (what I do now), but am willing to take a variety of other jobs as needed (waitressing, retail, reception, etc.). How is the job market in the Bay Area for hourly-type jobs? (I have a BA in German, which I doubt will lead to much.)

We are in our mid-twenties, no kids (and none planned anytime soon). We aren't big clubbers or bar hoppers...we'd simply like to live in a pretty area with a few restaurants. We can always drive into SF, etc. for "culture" on weekends. Obviously, we don't earn a massive amount of money and are hoping to find a 1-bedroom apt. for up to 1200/mo. This seems unlikely in SF, but I was wondering what other areas might cost less near the locations I mentioned? (No ghetto, please!) I've heard Marin County is beautiful, but outrageously priced.

Sorry for the long, choppy post, but any feedback would be appreciated...thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
$1200 for a 1 bedroom apt is a little bit on the low side. And what college will you be attending? That's important to know to keep the commute down. It's 50 miles between San Francisco and San Jose. I didn't know there was a college in Sausalito

Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM

90 posts, read 468,755 times
Apartment Search by CORT
There's some apartment listings in the Walnut Creek area. You can also look up the San Jose area, but if your husband is managing the entire Bay Area, unless he'll be spending a larger amount of his time in the South Bay, you'll probably want to be in the East Bay to easily go South or to the City or North. Living on the Peninsula is another option to be centrally located, but I'm not sure you could find a place for $1200 on the peninsula. You could check the Foster City area of the peninsula or North of there, but I bet the rents are higher than the Walnut Creek area. $1200 is on the low side for a decent 1BR with a good living situation.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
I'm going to come out from left field, but I've found apartment prices cheaper and more for your money in Vacaville and Fairfield (Vacaville is a much better community than Fairfield but it's about 10 minutes further toward Sacramento.) Maybe you could take some college classes at Davis? I'm renting a really nice 1-bedroom apartment in a gated community for $1,100. I felt like having a better apartment with more amenities (Vacaville is retail store central -- everything you need within a few blocks) was more important than me being close to the Bay since I don't need to go there for work. Anyway, there are other neat communities I was looking at -- Walnut Creek, Martinez, Benicia, Concord -- but I felt that getting more apartment for my money was worth the increased driving time. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM

I'll be taking classes for a Waldorf teaching certificate, and there are classes for that certificate offered in the three locations mentioned. I know...Sausalito seems like a weird place for it! However, there are also classes offered in Sacramento, but I hadn't considered that because it seemed too far east. Is the commute to Sacramento from the Bay area pretty bad, or is it doable? Or from the locations you mentioned (Fairfield and Vacaville)? Those seem like great spots. Sorry if I seem clueless, but like I said, I've never been to the area! Thanks again so much for your help...

Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenfeld82 View Post
Is the commute to Sacramento from the Bay area pretty bad, or is it doable? Or from the locations you mentioned (Fairfield and Vacaville)? Those seem like great spots.
A trip between Sacramento and the Bay Area is about 90 minutes (unless the traffic is bad and it often is). Fairfield or Vacaville would probably be the best place (about 40 min to Sacramento, about the same to San Francisco) for a central location. Rents are a little cheaper there than in the Bay Area itself.

Is this the school you'll be attending ? www.bacwtt.org

Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 PM

That would be the Sausalito school, yes. I haven't decided on a school yet...wanted to check out the different areas first.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 PM

...and thanks for the link, alohakat! Walnut Creek seems like a good option for us...what's the town itself like?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 AM

21 posts, read 119,314 times
San Carlos is probably the midpoint between Napa and Santa Cruz -- maybe a shade south of the mid-point. Great restaurants, nice downtown area, close enough to everything you need. There are apartments of all price ranges in the city, but I don't know the availability. It's a pretty popular place, so rentals are usually in demand. Check craigslist to see what's there.

I've lived here for many years and love it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland