Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 16,908 times

Advertisements

I remember reading on another thread some great info. about the foggy areas, but I can't find it again. Any advice? Does the fog sock in particular areas or is it just all over? Does it tend to follow certain patterns leaving areas that dont get it ALL the time? And what about areas that tend to flood? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 02:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Fog does tend to collect in the same areas often. Some places only get it once in awhile. It is common along the coast, but the inland valleys get it too.

Every year or so we hear of a 20 car +/- accident on the I-5. When I was young I would barrel thru regardless. Now I just pull over and sleep it off, hotel if available or on the side of the road well off the highway if I have to.

We do have areas called flood basins where a flood is possible. But we really do not get floods like other states do. We would need rain for that, lol.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 PM
PNH

44 posts, read 222,625 times
Almost all parts of the immediate Bay Area (SF, East Bay, Peninsula) as well as the coastal areas will get fog regularly in the summer months. The hot air inland draws the moisture from the coast. Sometimes in San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz the fog will not burn off for days in a row if it is hot inland. In the rest of the Bay Area it is common to have fog in the morning that burns off before noon, sometimes returning in the evening. We call it "nature's air conditioning!"

On the other hand, some inland areas get "valley fog" in the winter--low lying ground fog. Again, in some areas it will burn off while in the Central Valley it might stay foggy for days.

Most die-hard Bay Area dwellers learn to love the fog. I live in Fremont, and I love the cool mornings and evenings. In the summer, I shut the house up in the middle of the day to keep it cool, and then open the doors and windows in the early evening when the wind picks up and the fog comes in. When we have a protracted spell of hot weather (which in the Bay Area means more than 3 days of 90 degree + temps), the inhabitants make it a habit to scan the hills near the ocean looking for the fog to spill over--it means the heat wave has broken and the next day will be cooler.

The only down side is that you can't count on sun at the beach, and you can't count on warm weather in the evening. Most Bay Area people regularly bring a sweat shirt or light jacket with them even on warm days, since you just never know. But since most homes in the Bay Area have no air conditioning, the fog is welcome.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:45 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
In San Francisco the fog comes in the summer and rolls over the Parkside, Sunset and Richmond Districts. It can go as far as downtown, though it can go as far as the East Bay, but usually stops short around the Haight or Duboce Triangle.
It can be very thick and windy up on Twin Peaks, Diamond Heights, Mt. Davidson and in West Portal.
It will often be there for days over the western half of the city and it can be very chilly. I used to run my heater in July in the Sunset.
Downtown can be sunny and hot and once you come out of the Duboce tunnel, it's grey and wet/dark.
It also can pour over the Golden Gate and sometimes fingers of it curl through Sausalito. Daly City is often socked in.
It's not often that it covers the whole bay in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland