Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 AM

178 posts, read 346,970 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking at some places near 40th and Market. Any thoughts on that area. We hope to commute by BART for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,903 times
That area can be a bit sketchy (especially at night) though if you're biking to and from BART it's less of a concern. Market gets very iffy not too far from there. If it were me, I'd be much more comfortable either further west (in/near Emeryville: Adeline/San Pablo and 40th) or further east (east of Telegraph). I'd definitely be uncomfortable walking there from BART after dark (and even sometimes during the day, as some of those corners along 40th are hangout spots). That said, I ride my bike there on the way home all the time and that's never been a problem.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:54 AM

178 posts, read 346,970 times
Thanks Aretmis,

I disappeared for quite a while but you were very helpful in our first consideration of coming to Oakland! We're looking at a place on 41st between Market and West. The street seems fine, but the BART walk is a question mark. Maybe a bike is a good option.

Anyone out there live in this area?

Thanks again Aretmis

Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,903 times
You're welcome---hope the next Oakland move is a better one since I remember you had noise issues downtown!

One thing to look at in that neighborhood is foreclosures. This can have a big impact on community and neighborhood safety (some of the bank-owned houses are being vandalized, broken into, tagged, etc.) so I'd steer clear of living on a block with a lot of homes in that situation. Generally that's been a bigger issue west of the 24. Another frustration in that area is the dead-end streets (including 41st) that stop at the freeway and have had intermittent crime problems over the years.

A bike would definitely help, but I would really keep looking to stay east of the 24 if you like the general area. It's a much stabler neighborhood, and there are rent bargains to be had if you can wait for them. There's not a whole lot that's walkable from 41st and West without crossing under the freeway every time, whereas on the other side you can get to Telegraph shops easily. Telegraph also has the 1R, which is a good connection to downtown and to Berkeley as an alternative to BART. I think you'll appreciate being able to walk when you want to without worrying about safety.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
I am the Property Manager for this property. This might meet your requirements well. If you are interested in this then contact me. Here are the details
============
10010 MacArthur Blvd. Oakland, CA

This Property is just North of San Leandro and on the Border between
Oakland & San Leandro. (South Eastern Oakland)
Easy Access to Fwy 580 (0.4 Miles)
Close to Oakland Zoo (0.5 Miles)
Close to San Leandro BART station (1.7 Miles)
Within 100 yards of Bus Stop (AC Transit) at the Intersection of Foothill Blvd & MacArthur Blvd

Unit Description
=================
2 Units (1Br 1BT each) are Available for immediate move in, one on the Ground Floor & Another on the Second Floor

Clean & Sunny Unit (Details)
==============================
-> 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, Small Kitchen & Living Area
-> Living area around 650 Sq. Ft.
-> Tenant Pays for Gas & Electricity
-> Owner pays for Water and Garbage (Savings of approx $80 per month)
-> Nice & Clean units in a Gated 8 Unit Apartment Conmplex.
-> 1 Car Port , open but in secure inside
-> Secure Private Community Yard / Common Area
-> Commercial Coin Laundry Just Next door

TERMS
============
1) 2 Months Security Deposit, (Negotiable with Good Credit or verifiable sources of income.)
2) No Pets
3) RENT - $675 (paid in advance by 5th of every month)
4) Long Term Tenants Preferred
5) Free Hi Speed / WiFi Internet

If interested please see pictures at
[url=http://picasaweb.google.com/tumsar/100XXMacArthurBlvd#slideshow/5464545990002353682]Picasa Web Albums - tumsar - 100XX MacArth...[/url]
Full AD: [url=http://www.postlets.com/rts/3655658]10010 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland, CA | Powered by Postlets[/url]

Contact

Kit Crane
Crane Management
510-918-2306
[email]cranemanagement@gmail.com[/email]

Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
You're welcome---hope the next Oakland move is a better one since I remember you had noise issues downtown!

One thing to look at in that neighborhood is foreclosures. This can have a big impact on community and neighborhood safety (some of the bank-owned houses are being vandalized, broken into, tagged, etc.) so I'd steer clear of living on a block with a lot of homes in that situation. Generally that's been a bigger issue west of the 24. Another frustration in that area is the dead-end streets (including 41st) that stop at the freeway and have had intermittent crime problems over the years.

A bike would definitely help, but I would really keep looking to stay east of the 24 if you like the general area. It's a much stabler neighborhood, and there are rent bargains to be had if you can wait for them. There's not a whole lot that's walkable from 41st and West without crossing under the freeway every time, whereas on the other side you can get to Telegraph shops easily. Telegraph also has the 1R, which is a good connection to downtown and to Berkeley as an alternative to BART. I think you'll appreciate being able to walk when you want to without worrying about safety.
Interesting reading this. That neighborhood seriously has not changed. I lived on 46th street for a couple of years about two houses west of West st. It was kind of like that way back then too.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranemanagement View Post
I am the Property Manager for this property. This might meet your requirements well. If you are interested in this then contact me. Here are the details
============
10010 MacArthur Blvd. Oakland, CA

This Property is just North of San Leandro and on the Border between
Oakland & San Leandro. (South Eastern Oakland)
Easy Access to Fwy 580 (0.4 Miles)
Close to Oakland Zoo (0.5 Miles)
Close to San Leandro BART station (1.7 Miles)
Within 100 yards of Bus Stop (AC Transit) at the Intersection of Foothill Blvd & MacArthur Blvd

Unit Description
=================
2 Units (1Br 1BT each) are Available for immediate move in, one on the Ground Floor & Another on the Second Floor

Clean & Sunny Unit (Details)
==============================
-> 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, Small Kitchen & Living Area
-> Living area around 650 Sq. Ft.
-> Tenant Pays for Gas & Electricity
-> Owner pays for Water and Garbage (Savings of approx $80 per month)
-> Nice & Clean units in a Gated 8 Unit Apartment Conmplex.
-> 1 Car Port , open but in secure inside
-> Secure Private Community Yard / Common Area
-> Commercial Coin Laundry Just Next door

TERMS
============
1) 2 Months Security Deposit, (Negotiable with Good Credit or verifiable sources of income.)
2) No Pets
3) RENT - $675 (paid in advance by 5th of every month)
4) Long Term Tenants Preferred
5) Free Hi Speed / WiFi Internet

If interested please see pictures at
Picasa Web Albums - tumsar - 100XX MacArth...
Full AD: 10010 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland, CA | Powered by Postlets

Contact

Kit Crane
Crane Management
510-918-2306
cranemanagement@gmail.com
Man if I had the means to move back to Oakland I would take this. It's another area I lived in for a few years too, on Burr st. off 98th avenue. I like this area and I'd say it's better than North Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland