Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:04 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times

Advertisements

To answer the original question... Yes.

A house or a particular car or a used bicycle are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Since so many people are willing to pay then obviously it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 01:10 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
complete with granite and stainless (both things I despise!) and done in a neutral pallette, it's just not acceptable to people.
I thought I was the only one! Granite is for tombstones and stainless is for cafeterias!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I thought I was the only one! Granite is for tombstones and stainless is for cafeterias!
Stainless is perfect material for restaurants that cook long and hard and then need to be taken apart and scrubbed out at the end of the day.

But it shows EVERYTHING (hence why it's good for industrial uses) and usually takes TWO products to look halfway decent. I use Windex on my stainless at work, then follow up with a stainless polish to match the other polished areas. Polishing does help with small fingerprints -- just rub again... but after a day or so it's no use, so you have to Windex/polish all over.

As to granite -- a few years ago when my mom was here she really wanted to see some new homes, and I walked into the kitchen and got this look on my face which the saleslady mistook as awe. Black granite countertops -- with black appliances! WAY too dark! -- and she went on and on about them and finally I spurted out -- Sorry -- this reminds me of my dad's headstone, and backed out of the kitchen in horror.

Nice to know I'm not alone.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:08 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But it takes urban pioneers to pull these places out of the hole!
I can see buying a little place in a modest but not great neighborhood, fixing it up, volunteering in the schools, getting active in the community, giving your time and energy for the benefit of the town. I'm not going to try that in Ghostown, though.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,844 times
I'm thinking of moving to SF from here in Atlanta. I'm willing to rent for the rest of my life if it means living somewhere rich in arts and where I can grow as a person. When I say grow I mean personality not my wallet like many in the US think.

I can't wait to sell my car and walk by butt off in SF!

If anyone has any contacts in civil engineering I need a job first so shoot me an email>
jefboy28@gmail.com

Old 06-25-2014, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
I have a bad habit of falling in love with places I've visited for vacation - Florida, NYC, the Bahamas, and now SF - and wanting to move there as a result. I actually did make the Florida move, which is where I am now, and didn't regret it at all. Many people told me that I wouldn't like it down here - that day-to-day life wouldn't be the fun I had from visiting. The old "great place to visit, bad place to live" argument.

But they were all wrong.

The point is that if a certain place is on your mind enough everyday to make you actually consider the move, you owe it to yourself to at least try it, or you'll never know whether or not it's actually worth it. Rotting in the frigid snow of the north made me think of Florida more and more until I finally did it - and I've been happy ever since.

To people who dream those same dreams of the bay area and also make that move - I'm betting it ends up being more than worth it. But to anyone who's just casually considering it, probably not.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Yes.

If it wasn't it wouldn't cost what it does. Note: I do not live in San Francisco.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,843 times
It is worth the cost to those who choose it. Money aside, it is a beautiful and unmatched city by all stretches. Scenery, diversity, charm, peaceful nonviolent character, cuisine, seaport access, international magnet, innovation, geologically rare, paradise weather, architectural variety, the historic preservation of the older city (museums and muni system and Alcatraz), environmentally conscious, and transportation efficient.

Because of this, despite the cost of living, the city attracts tens of millions of tourists every month, is a base city for large companies despite any political tensions with the city's Liberal vibe, and is a place where all wealths kind of fit in some how and without clashing with each other.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,312 times
Interesting to see this thread, a run-up to the first big tech bust, when prices were skyrocketing, go dark and then resurface now in the current tech run-up. I wish people had chimed in when prices were tanking and opportunities were fewer.

As for now, I think San Francisco delivers value to me that is commensurate with its cost. Is it "worth it?" 99% of the time, yes! It's discouraging, though, that it seems impossible to buy anything in the City, and I will likely have to move out to another spot in the Bay Area several years from now. Perhaps not, but it does seem likely, if I want to buy something.

In that sense, the things I can afford in San Francisco are not worth it to me right now.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Interesting to see this thread, a run-up to the first big tech bust, when prices were skyrocketing, go dark and then resurface now in the current tech run-up. I wish people had chimed in when prices were tanking and opportunities were fewer.

As for now, I think San Francisco delivers value to me that is commensurate with its cost. Is it "worth it?" 99% of the time, yes! It's discouraging, though, that it seems impossible to buy anything in the City, and I will likely have to move out to another spot in the Bay Area several years from now. Perhaps not, but it does seem likely, if I want to buy something.

In that sense, the things I can afford in San Francisco are not worth it to me right now.
I cannot get over how beautifully San Francisco draws a young short-attentioned crowd into the charm of the city's history with the ding ding ding of the Powell-Mason Cable Car on the bustling Market Street with the big chain stores of today filling in the buildings of an older era. It is one of the most 1920s-looking images I've ever seen that is marketed for a millennial crowd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland