Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,555,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
I have honestly never understood this argument. What outside power has ever actively threatened these things? (And please don't say the Soviets because that was simply never true.)

Threats to our freedoms have always come from within. Perhaps we should give more credit to the ACLU.
Your posts make you sound like a crazy fringe activist.

Last edited by D-Towner; 04-28-2009 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM

45 posts, read 195,003 times
Quote:
I get it from my own experiences as a highschool teacher. These were the students that were targeted where I taught.
(from previous post)tend to target those students who are performing poorly and offer then them a backdoor out of having to actually pass their classes.

These students see the military as an "out" from having to do well in school. There is then no pressure to go to college or get a job. They just have to join the military to get school and family off of their backs.
Ok, which is it? I posted my reply to your previous statement. Yes, they have to pass their classes. If they don't graduate they can't join.
As to your second statement, yes, sometimes it is an "out" for these kids. They don't see any other future for themselves and they see the military as a future sometimes where they might belong to something that might make them feel important. Not all students who graduate go to college or can afford to go and what's out there for them other than working a fast food job? Maybe they want to get away from a bad home life. There are as many reasons as their are people.
Like I said, they can say no, simple as that.
I'm sad to see cities in CA that have such disdain for our military. Regardless of what you think of the war, have some compassion for the service members who are serving, they give up so much to do their job.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 PM

516 posts, read 1,340,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Your posts make you sound like a crazy fringe activist.
Wow...you have then obviously never met a crazy fringe activist.

Hyperbole much?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I implore you to watch the film I recommended earlier.."Taxi to the Dark Side" (I actually just saw this last night).

It doesn't have a lot to do with the topic of recruiting minors within high schools (so I apologize for taking this off topic a bit) but I think you might learn a bit about the dehumanization of military personnel (and it's terror "suspects") by the people at the top.

Again, I come from a military family (two of my uncles fought in Vietnam, my dad was in the navy) so this is not a film railing against the military. So please stop telling me that I am against the military..I don't think you've actually read my previous posts.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say after watching this film...maybe, just maybe, you and others might be able to see a flipside or gain a better understanding of why some people might have a problem with the military in general now days. You talk about liberty and patriotism yet don't really understand what has happened to our country during the current war. You just might be disgusted and ashamed with what's been happening and you won't know it until you learn a little more.
This is like saying you believe everything Michael Moore produces...A movie, is exactly that;; a movie. Have you watched what Fox News puts out or do you listen to Rush or Ann Coulter? I would guess, No and if you do, I doubt you believe what they preach?? I will never get over the comment you made about Hell bent to kill the enemy when I have seen too much of war and know how those men and women serve to protect people like you and me, so we can speak freely.. One movie will not change my mind, nor the minds of those who know how to think for themselves... I am not talking about the current war, for which non of us know that much about..I am thinking about how our country gained freedom and how our country fought in many battles...I was in favor of going into Iraq, I now think it was a bad decision, but for anyone to say, our military is hellbent on killing is a horrible statement.

Nita

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM

657 posts, read 1,602,458 times
Just another reason I'm proud to claim Veteran status AND FORMER California residency.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM

657 posts, read 1,602,458 times
Quote:
(And please don't say the Soviets because that was simply never true.)
what proof have you of this simple, yet clearly opinionated statement?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 PM

516 posts, read 1,340,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
what proof have you of this simple, yet clearly opinionated statement?
The Soviets never had any sort of internationally capable army because of the population devastation they experienced both in WWII and under Stalin. Their power, as it were, came mostly from bluff in the nuclear arms race. Militarily, they were really only interested in containing the countries in the Soviet Bloc. When they had built their military to a certain point they wasted it on an unwinnable war against Afghanistan.

The impact that the Red Scare had on civil liberties in the United States was completely internal (think Joe McCarthy) which just proves my point. Nothing that the US military could protect us against.

One could argue similar things about Iraq. The war itself has nothing to do with protecting American civil liberties...but it did produce the Patriot Act which is certainly a threat from within.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is like saying you believe everything Michael Moore produces...A movie, is exactly that;; a movie. Have you watched what Fox News puts out or do you listen to Rush or Ann Coulter? I would guess, No and if you do, I doubt you believe what they preach?? I will never get over the comment you made about Hell bent to kill the enemy when I have seen too much of war and know how those men and women serve to protect people like you and me, so we can speak freely.. One movie will not change my mind, nor the minds of those who know how to think for themselves... I am not talking about the current war, for which non of us know that much about..I am thinking about how our country gained freedom and how our country fought in many battles...I was in favor of going into Iraq, I now think it was a bad decision, but for anyone to say, our military is hellbent on killing is a horrible statement.

Nita
You're not talking about the current war in which you know nothing about? Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds?

Perhaps if you educated yourself a wee bit about many things then maybe the country might be better for it? Since you all seem to talk about how patriotic you are and how much you love your country, then wouldn't it make sense to learn more about it?

The movie is not by Michael Moore btw, but a non-fiction account by Alex Gibney. I don't expect anything to change your mind..I foolishly thought the film might be of interest to people since it educated me about something which I knew very little about..maybe that's a liberal idea..learning.

I do find it very interesting how the conservative folks from Oklahoma and Arkansas seem come out of the woodwork around here when you mention anything about the military/politics etc. and then start berating the regulars on the Bay Area boards that actually live in California.

And btw, I'm on the opposite spectrum of naive and I'm hardly young. I just look young .

Anyway, this topic has grown old and tiresome..just like your rants nmnita.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,629,132 times
These topics seem to show the divide between outsiders [not living in California] and natives who view the military with healthy skepticism. The Armed Forces are ultimately under civilian control & only for the purpose of legitimate defense. Those who foolishly start wars that kill our young soldiers are not patriotic but rather murderers who only demean our nation & armed services.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:47 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,555,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
These topics seem to show the divide between outsiders [not living in California] and natives who view the military with healthy skepticism. The Armed Forces are ultimately under civilian control & only for the purpose of legitimate defense. Those who foolishly start wars that kill our young soldiers are not patriotic but rather murderers who only demean our nation & armed services.
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland