Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 25,739 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any opinions on towns around SF that would be suitable for a single, professional, thirty-four year old female who'd eventually be looking to restart her career in international marketing/communication?

I'm tired of living in a dreary, cold and snowy part of the country and would love to just escape. I have always loved California and figure that if I don't do it now...I'll never do it!

SF itself is amazing, but so expensive. Can anyone suggest an area anywhere in the vicinity that might be more reasonable AND be great for meeting people/dating others in their 30's?

I love the wine regions...is there anywhere up around those areas that fits the description? What about job opportunity in my field? What about other places north or south of SF?

My two main concerns are (1) finding a place that won't be too difficult to restart my career and (2) finding a place that will be easy enough to meet other single professionals my age and date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 03:04 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,715 times
yes. I have a few suggestions, but they might be a little further from SF:
Austin, Raleigh, Atlanta, Dallas. These are also warmer and about 1/3rd the cost. good luck.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:02 PM

Damn, I knew someone would say something like that!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,338 times
My Recommendation

Oakland, Alameda, Treasure Island, Port Richmond, Albany, El Cerrito, Berkeley. Still expensive but better weather and cheaper than SF but only a short drive or BART ride away from the city.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:19 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
I second the above... especially Berkeley and Oakland, which are very popular for young single folks. Fyi, I'm "single, female, professional & 30-something" too, and live in the southeast part of San Francisco. This part of town is actually quite cheap, and I'm downtown in less than 10 minutes when I want to "mingle". Don't rule out San Francisco, until you've actually researched the rental costs in every neighborhood - check craigslist for listings, where I found my current house! If you want info on where exactly to look/avoid, let me know.

Oh, and in addition to the above towns, you could look around the North Peninsula... Daly City, South San Francisco, San Bruno, Brisbane, Millbrae, etc. They aren't that exciting really, but all have easy access to the city. You might also consider the Palo Alto area, which has a pretty good social scene. Slightly younger crowds, though, since there are a few colleges nearby.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks so much for your replies...and, Gizmo, thanks for offering to fill me in on what areas to avoid. I will definitely contact you when I get closer to making a move.

One quick question...City Boy mentioned Treasure Island (echoed by Gizmo)...where is it? I looked, but couldn't find it on a map.

What kind of place is Petaluma, by the way? Probably not quite what I'm looking for, I gather?

Thanks again to all!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:11 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerblu View Post
Thanks so much for your replies...and, Gizmo, thanks for offering to fill me in on what areas to avoid. I will definitely contact you when I get closer to making a move.
No problemo. Feel free to PM me when you're ready, and I'll do my best to fill you in. I've only been living in the city for 2 months (also lived here for a year after high school), but I grew up just 12 miles away, so I'm a "real" local.

Quote:
One quick question...City Boy mentioned Treasure Island (echoed by Gizmo)...where is it? I looked, but couldn't find it on a map.

What kind of place is Petaluma, by the way? Probably not quite what I'm looking for, I gather?
Treasure Island is technically part of San Francisco, as far as I know... it's right off the Bay Bridge, about halfway between SF and Oakland. It's a beautiful spot, but honestly I don't know many people who live there - probably because it's a b-tch to drive on that bridge every day!! Here's some more info on it: http://www.sfgov.org/site/treasureisland_index.asp?id=286 (broken link)

I don't know too much about Petaluma, but it's quite a drive from San Francisco... I'd guess it takes about an hour, possibly more with traffic on the Golden Gate. I have heard it's a pretty nice town, but then again, they did a "To Catch a Predator" episode there - mega scary. Good luck in your decision!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 54,743 times
Default Probably not Petaluma

It doesn't sound Petaluma would be what you're looking for, but thought I'd respond since you asked about it. I grew up in Petaluma and IMO, it's a great town for families, but not so much for single 30-somethings looking to meet people. It does have a fairly lively downtown for a town it's size, but I think you'd do much better closer to San Francisco. Not to mention, the commute from Petaluma to San Francisco would be rough (minimum of an hour each way).

If you are interested in the North Bay San Rafael might be a better option for you. It also has a lively downtown, is much closer to San Francisco (which is where I'm presuming you will work), and from what I can tell has a good singles scene (at least for the area). If you are looking at the East Bay at all I'd also consider looking at Walnut Creek. It has an excellent downtown, plenty of nightlife, and from what my brother tells me a pretty good singles scene as well... plus you'd have a pretty easy commute to San Francsico on BART.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,209 times
Default Another 30 Thirty-Something Looking at SF

Hi,
I'm thinking about moving to the SF area too. I'm gay & wiccan and would like to live in a politically liberal area. I'm an adminstrative and organizational consultant, but business is slow here in Atlanta.

Can someone tell me how the job market for Administrative Assistants is? I've mostly worked for and with non-profits and I'm really passionate about working for a "green" organization or company. Also, a big deal for me since I don't have a car... How convenient is the BART system?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland