Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:36 PM

84 posts, read 195,872 times

Advertisements

My wife wants Cal. , and about the only place to consider is the Bay area,as we don't want to get smoked out , have 10 million cars near us, or high u.v. My research shows places to feel good living in, may be Napa, or Senoma ctys.,and Mendocino and Monterey look good. We want QUALITY OF LIFE. Your posts about money cause stress, and that is not healthy. Thousand Oaks and Palo Alto also made the nice list. How they keep the people from E. Palo Alto out only you know. Oakland is in the top 5 in the U.S. for assaults, roberries etc. per Forbes. Can I have places. We have an 11 yr old girl. thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,158,058 times
For some reason when I read your post, I started laughing out loud uncontrollably. Thanks bro.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,771,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tryn View Post
We want QUALITY OF LIFE. Your posts about money cause stress, and that is not healthy.
Are you independently wealthy, or will you require a job of some kind? In California, quality of life is generally found where jobs are few and/or costs are extremely high. What is your housing budget?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:29 AM

258 posts, read 448,796 times
Oakland is nice. It's a beautiful city, don't let the negative media hype and the naysayers dissuade you. Don't take my word for it come visit for a day.
The proof is in the pudding.

Just make sure you stay away from EAST Oakland.

Another alternative is Alameda.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:02 AM

Default Nicer places in cal.

Mornin Bay Dude and Sr. My wife thinks normal people can live in Cal. She said "How do the Mexicans live there". ! She is envious again at the weather out there today. For ex. the ave . salary for S.F. I read is 750K ,(it was a natl. pub.). You all must make 300k out there at least, or the teachers, firemen,or even garbagemen would have to drive 100 mi. from what you have posted. I do some research on Great Schools, and find few 9 or 10 rated schools around S.F.. I just read the facts posted by CNN , Money , or Forbes, that is where I heard of Monterey, Thousand Oaks, Lake Forest, and I found where the household inc. listed is $70 k or so ,the people are a higher level. We have higher standards, and there are affordable places in Napa and Senoma. Type in for yourself, best places to live for 2009. I will right now. good day.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:53 PM

802 posts, read 2,266,562 times
Quote:
For ex. the ave . salary for S.F. I read is 750K ,(it was a natl. pub.).
Uh, the median household income in San Francisco is around $72K and the median family income in San Francisco is a little over $87K as of 2008.

Bay Area Census -- San Francisco City and County

Old 11-26-2009, 03:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,723,447 times
Quote:
My wife wants Cal. , and about the only place to consider is the Bay area,as we don't want to get smoked out , have 10 million cars near us, or high u.v. My research shows places to feel good living in, may be Napa, or Senoma ctys.,and Mendocino and Monterey look good. We want QUALITY OF LIFE. Your posts about money cause stress, and that is not healthy. Thousand Oaks and Palo Alto also made the nice list. How they keep the people from E. Palo Alto out only you know. Oakland is in the top 5 in the U.S. for assaults, roberries etc. per Forbes. Can I have places. We have an 11 yr old girl. thanks....
How many million have you toward a house. Forget Forbes, most of his "lists are made up by first year journalism students who have never been tyo the places they write about.

Try Zillow or Trulia for zip code 94592, it's an island so you won't have too much traffic

Good Luck

Old 11-26-2009, 03:19 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Go farther north and you will find things more affordable in some of the smaller towns. CA is NOT all rich people and nobody I know makes $750k a year. $300k yes, and usually that's dual incomes and that is what it takes for the better areas in The Bay. But that's not the only place worth living in the state and you can absolutely live here, and live well, for far less.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Nicer places

thanks Midwestern and Ceece ....Having nothing to do as usual, I did research and Napa has affordable houses. I should not spill the beans, but on Trulia ,Realtor.com and Zillow I found 3bdm 2 ba. 1800 sq.ft. around Lake Berryessen,affordable ! Try to get that in S.F., and the quality of life is less taxing I expect. I found the Forbes Traveler article "Pretties Cities", and Monterey is on the list in Cal. along with Crescent City and Cambria. It must be rainy up there so the towns are small. I do have some money ,as I am not 25, and hopefully the moderator won't protest if I mention other places on that list are Sedona, Savannah, Lake Placid and Burlington.
Cheers all.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,283,842 times
Quote:
It must be rainy up there so the towns are small. I do have some money ,as I am not 25, and hopefully the moderator won't protest if I mention other places on that list are Sedona, Savannah, Lake Placid and Burlington.
Cheers all.
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland