Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 PM

19 posts, read 79,826 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking of going back to school and take a post-graduate degree in Accounting or Finance from Berkeley Extension.

Finance Certificate Fall 2009 - UC Berkeley Extension

Background:
I have a Bachelors degree from an unknown university in the east coast, and completed an internship (1 full semester) in a big accounting firm (not big 4) in ATL.
I moved here in the SF Bay area and now working part time in a small company doing admin and basic accounting (AR/AP) role. I just can't find a full time accounting job coz I don’t have an accounting/finance degree.
I’m very interested in pursuing either a CFA or CPA in the future, but for the mean time I just want to take a post grad degree that would boost my resume while searching for a full time finance job.

Is Berkeley Extension certificate worth time/money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i really like certificate programs.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
It does give usable skills as well as some slight "graduate school" cred. Not unlike having a partially completed masters. Of course, one must ask themselves the question, "why not go for a masters?"

Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Is your university accredited? Whether it's unknown or not doesn't matter if it's a legit school.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I'd go for the masters (maybe sf state/sonoma state/usf) if you can't get in Berk...... it would be better than a certificate from Berkeley...A lot of these programs are often employer sponsored... if you are coming up with it oop, I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 PM

197 posts, read 667,308 times
I'm not sure how long the certificate program lasts but 16 units is a good amount of coursework. It's almost worth it to get a masters. If you want less of a commitment then a masters, I'd recommend the CPA or CFA if you have enough coursework in your undergrad major to sit for the CPA exam.

It took me about a year to study for the CPA while working full time. I think that is about average and it can be done more quickly than that if you are consistent. The CPA is more valuable than a certificate - even one from Berkeley.

An MBA from other accredited schools here is good but its not the same as getting one from Berkeley or Stanford. Nearly every school in the Bay Area has an MBA program so there are lot of options.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 21,847 times
I am currently enrolled in the Certificate of Accounting program at UC Berkeley Extension. My goal is to earn the accounting units necessary to qualify for the CPA exam. I already have a business administration degree from Cal Poly, so that requirement is met (24 semester units of business). If someone is achieving this certificate and stopping there, I don't believe an employer would honor the merits. I had to make the choice between Masters in Accounting or CPA, and I chose the latter. It is an extremely marketable title.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
I would agree that a masters degree is preferential. I look at a degree as a milestone, vs a certificate program as a small feather in the cap. I attained a Six Sigma certification, which I would say is on par with an extension certification, but is not the same as my MBA degree.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 20,398 times
I have a question that I cannot find anywhere. I am hoping to take the CPA and
I have a B.A in a non accounting/business major so basically im starting from scratch.
I am planning to enroll in the UCB extension and get a certificate.

Upon completing the certificate, do i need to take more classes for the 24 units on the business side?
I know that this certificate completes the 24 units for Accounting.

So what are the perks of getting a certificate if im going to have to enroll at a community college anyways to finish my 24 business units to even sit at the CPA exam.

This whole time i thought the Accounting certificate was sufficient to sit in for the CPA exam.
WTH!

HELPPPP!!!!!

Old 02-19-2016, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,246 times
I am located in NY and I have BA degree from Brooklyn College and I have 125 credits. I am an IRS Enrolled Agent and I want to do my CPA so I decided to earn accounting credits from UC Berkeley extension. I want to make sure their classes qualify for CPA in NY. If anyone has taken these classes online to qualify for CPA in NY please let me know. I have called school and they asked me to call board of accountancy in NY. the website is very confusing and when I search for the school I don't see it. Please Help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland