Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:49 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,879 times

Advertisements

oakland in general sucks... the only thing i like is the raiders other than that i just dont like oakland its my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
oakland in general sucks... the only thing i like is the raiders other than that i just dont like oakland its my opinion
I'd say your opinion sucks, but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 AM

256 posts, read 1,403,879 times
thats fine... you have your opinion i have mine

Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 AM

495 posts, read 1,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneknowsmyname View Post
Sorry, but as a teacher who spends a lot of time helping students learn the difference between fact and opinion, I disagree. Although it is customary on message board to preface one's opinion with the phrase IMO, using that phrase isn't required to signal that one is expressing an opinion. The way a statement is phrased doesn't determine whether it is a fact or an opinion.

The statement "Boston is the largest city in Massachusetts" is a fact because that statement is verifiable and can be proven to be true. On the other hand,
the statement "Boston is a dangerous city" is an opinion because it is what a person believes or thinks, and is not necessarily the truth.

The difference between a fact and an opinion is that a fact is a statement that is verifiable and an opinion is a statement that isn't. If the person commenting about Oakland had stated the number of murders, aggravated assaults, robberies, and automobile thefts that had taken place last year, that would be a factual statement, not because it was true but because the information provided could be verified and shown to be true.

Anytime someone posts a statement on the message board that isn't verifiable, it is simply that person's opinion. Let me add that pointing out the difference between fact and opinion isn't simply my opinion. The distinction between the two terms can be easily verified by looking it up in most English composition textbooks or other reference books.
This reminds me of debates we had in my critical thinking (logic) courses in college. Now it's exacerbated by anon posting on forums, lol. You raise good points, but I have a question? So who's to say the verifying party has the credentials or scientific proof to back up their fact finding approval. They have to be checked out themselves by some other governing body and so on. Where does this "verification" begin and where does it end? Really when you get right down to it humans generally think their opinions are fact because it's their experience and it's what they know. IMO, ha, one of the ways we can learn from one another is to listen to one another. I've gotten caught up in some emotional discussions on here for things I really don't worry too much about when I'm not on the PC. When I actually started to 'listen' to what the person wrote, then I could better understand where they were coming from and it broadened my perspective whether I agreed with them or not.

This is digressing a little from the topic and the original poster's relocation question, but I've been starting to equate what happens on here sometimes as "Forum Rage", similar to Road Rage. I remember watching one of those evening news programs, 20/20 or Nightline, can't remember. Anyway, they were talking about road rage and why it's becoming more prevalent on US roadways. There was a panel of psychiatrists, sociologists, professors, executive traffic admins, etc. The basic question was posed, why do people become enraged while they're driving or take things so personally? They really didn't answer the question specifically, but one of the sociologists said something about when we get behind the wheel of our cars, particularly after a long day at work. #1-we're anonymous and #2 we're usually already stressed. He said some of the nicest folks become very engraged while driving because they can. They're anonymous and more than likely wouldn't call someone a stupid MF in their daily interactions with others, LOL. I thought this was both very funny and very true. I've been there myself. There could be a number of reasons for this phenomenon, but I think he hit the nail on the head with the anonymity correlation. I think being anon on these forums can cause us to really want to get our points across. If we think about it, it can be funny and we laugh at ourswelves because who are we arguing with really? What are we trying to prove and to whom?

Regarding Detroit & Oakland, CA. I have only been to Detroit once in my life for a conference and that was enough, I didn't like it personally. This was back in the early 90's, during the height of car jackings. Which is the birthplace of car jackings in case you didn't know. As far as the crime in general, I think it's everywhere now. To think it's not in your community because it's not broadcast on the evening news or because you have emmaculate, well manicured lawns is futile. You still have to use your common sense wherever you live. As my grandmother used to tell me, walk tall. I've never been mugged, knock on wood, or experienced crime directed at me personally because I walk down the street with the energy of "I wish you would try to (fill in the blank)...". Criminals have a sixth sense about folks who are in their most vulnerable state. So it's also about you and how you carry yourself. If you expect to be the victim of crime, you will be. The same is true for worrying about it incessantly.

Speaking about SF specifically, because in one of the responses it was stated we don't have a crime problem. We do, just pick up your local police blogger which I don't recommend if you want to remain in denial about your area. Most people only think of the western edition, the mission district or Hunter's Point as the hot spots. I heard gunshots every other weeknight near my home in Ocean Beach. Thinking it's firecrackers in Jan or July works, or a car backfiring only goes so far - you know you just heard a gun go off. For example, the neighborhood where I grew up, the Sunset District supposedly one of the safest neighborhoods is starting to see an alarming rise in crime -- petty, property and criminal. During one week last year, in two separate incidents, escaped felons were surrounded by tons of police and it resulted in one police officer being killed. Right in our nice, quiet neighborhood in the Sunset. Which always elicited a wow response from me and friends when I found out about these situations. We had very minimal incidents in that area when I was coming up and I hardly remember seeing a police car patroling. Now you see the police everywhere, which is probably a good thing depending on how you look at it. Whoever commented that Oakland exceeds SF in crime, well it depends. SF has it's share and has doubled it's murder rate this year. So I don't really know how you can compare, it's like apples and oranges, but it's still crime and most of it is drug related.

To the original poster, I recommend just doing as much research as possible, make sure you like the area, visit a few times if you can afford to do this... review your options and explore. The entire Bay Area is pretty expansive and has a place for everyone to suit your lifestyle. Most of all trust your gut, you'll know the best area when get there. Crime is everywhere and so is good, peaceful living.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
Im sorry,
but in another thread you prop up Fremont-puhleeze.

Sorry boo,
Oakland has neighborhoods that are beyond the sophistication, culture and quality of life that Fremont could ever offer. Hell, I dont even think there is one notable restaurant in that entire town....and that sucks.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,441 times
Default North Berkeley and West Oakland

I was moved from El Cerrito to North Berkeley when I was 7. I entered the Berkeley public schools at that time. I was mugged regularly and attacked by black people on my way to school and when returning. I attended school in Oakland soon after that. I remember riding my bike home but could not ride on the sidewalk because the hookers took up so much room on the sidewalk, I had to ride in the street.

Growing up in Oakland, I learned to hate and fear black people because of all the racial hatred there. I have never experienced such hate as I did from the blacks where we grew up. Likewise, we were taught to fear black people because of their actions.

I have since moved to Seattle. I have moved my sister here and my brother has moved to Germany. We have no fond memories of Oakland. Actually, my only regret is that my parents raised us there. It was hell. I go back to visit my parents on occasion and my only reaction is I can't believe we grew up in such an awful place. No place for children or for a family.

We are all so grateful we don't live there any more. There is so much more racial harmony here in Seattle. And we don't have the horrible racial disparity. Black people work here and have good jobs and are part of the thriving economy. We are all just people. Not us against them.

I don't know how anybody lives in Oakland. It is truly a sick existense for adults and especially for children. My only advice to anyone that lives there is, "Move." Just as soon as you can. What a horrible existense. There are other states and other cities where life isn't so horrible.

And don't use the excuse my parents used that the jobs are in Oakland. We have lots of good jobs here and the people are still civilized. You can have lots of jobs and not live in the murder/rape/drug capital of the United States. It is possible. Believe me!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:54 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG LINTON View Post
I was moved from El Cerrito to North Berkeley when I was 7. I entered the Berkeley public schools at that time. I was mugged regularly and attacked by black people on my way to school and when returning. I attended school in Oakland soon after that. I remember riding my bike home but could not ride on the sidewalk because the hookers took up so much room on the sidewalk, I had to ride in the street.

Growing up in Oakland, I learned to hate and fear black people because of all the racial hatred there. I have never experienced such hate as I did from the blacks where we grew up. Likewise, we were taught to fear black people because of their actions.

I have since moved to Seattle. I have moved my sister here and my brother has moved to Germany. We have no fond memories of Oakland. Actually, my only regret is that my parents raised us there. It was hell. I go back to visit my parents on occasion and my only reaction is I can't believe we grew up in such an awful place. No place for children or for a family.

We are all so grateful we don't live there any more. There is so much more racial harmony here in Seattle. And we don't have the horrible racial disparity. Black people work here and have good jobs and are part of the thriving economy. We are all just people. Not us against them.

I don't know how anybody lives in Oakland. It is truly a sick existense for adults and especially for children. My only advice to anyone that lives there is, "Move." Just as soon as you can. What a horrible existense. There are other states and other cities where life isn't so horrible.

And don't use the excuse my parents used that the jobs are in Oakland. We have lots of good jobs here and the people are still civilized. You can have lots of jobs and not live in the murder/rape/drug capital of the United States. It is possible. Believe me!!!
LOL

I had a great upbringing in Oakland-am damn proud to have been raised there, still hold that place near and dear to my heart and would have no hesitation whatsoever to move back.

Painting the entire city in sweeping generalizations only exposes your total ignorance of Oakland and to be honest, its your loss-that is, if what you say is actually true, though I doubt it.

But it doesnt matter what outside haters say, cause like the thousands of people who really, KNOW that city and what its really like,

Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
if you don't live in the hills oakland can be a tough place to grow up.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Default Everyone has an Opinion about Oakland...

My parents moved from the Burbs to Oakland in 1969... I can still remember our suburban neighbors giving my Dad hell for moving the family to Oakland...

My Father and Grandparents were Born in Oakland... so for Dad it was just going home.

Over the years, I have kept in touch with some in the old neighborhood and many did not do well...

On the other hand, over 94% of my inner city east Oakland Catholic High School continued with their education.

For my folks, the choice was simple, they could afford twice the home by buying in Oakland and Dad would not have to commute. In 1969, we were the last White family to move into the neighborhood at a time when white families were fleeing... The Black Panthers, Martin Luther King Riots, Hells Angles, etc...

Our home has never been broken into, our cars have never been vandalized and our neighbors are the kind that anybody would love to have... Oakland Public School Teachers, Letter Carriers, Telephone Operator, Maintenance Mechanic, LVN and a Safeway Store warehouse stocker... every one's parents had a job and all the kids turned out well and yes, I did say parents as in mother and father... we also watched out for each other and got on the phone with other neighbors if we saw a suspicious car or activity.

My Car has been broken into twice in San Leandro and once in San Francisco and once in Berkeley... but NEVER in Oakland...

If I could point to one thing that made our neighborhood a nice place is that the parents were not afraid to get involved and speak-up or call the police when something looked suspicious... this is in contrast to neighborhoods where neighbors don't know neighbors and no one wants to get involved.

I took a lot of flak in College when it was learned that my family lived in Oakland... I had a girlfriend whose parents refused to let her drive to Oakland until we had a family dinner and her parents met some of our neighbors... perceptions can be reality for some.

Yes, a lot of fear comes about from ignorance.... and if your only opinion of Oakland is from driving down the freeway or listening to the news... I can see why. A look at the OPD crime stats will show that crime is concentrated.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG LINTON View Post

There's no possible way that this is exclusive to some neighborhoods as opposed to the entire city? My friend lives at Telegraph/MacArthur and he's had zero problems in what appears to be a majority-black neighborhood. We walk all around the place to stores, restaurants, bars, etc. Downtown is much the same. I see many black people and they're not mugging and beating me (I know you're shocked). Perhaps I just have the benefit of viewing the place as a sensible adult and not an angsty child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland