Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:44 PM

109 posts, read 382,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Where you live in SF has no relation to what school is assigned to you,it is based on the diversity index.

The intricacies of selecting an S.F. public school

There are 3 middle schools worth considering,Presidio,A. P. Giannini and Hoover. I would book school visits which they do in Nov. and Dec. in preparation for enrollment choices.

http://portal.sfusd.edu/data/EPC/Enr...de_English.pdf

For a fast commute via train to the financial district + some greenery look in the Forest Hill area.
Thanks for your input and links! I'll definitely take a look. I would rather try and get my daughter in public school if possible. She's not exactly an A student (depending on subject), so it might be better for her to be in public. Plus, I hear the costs are extremely expensive.

Thanks for the middle school references!

And I will add Forest Hill to my list as well - thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 05:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
Nanny shares just mean that instead of going to a daycare, or instead of hiring your own nanny, you go in with one or two other parents and hire one nanny for several kids. I haven't done it, but it seems to be really popular in SF. I'm assuming some of that is due to the difficulty finding a good, convenient daycare that has spaces available for young kids. Also, the costs make it pretty reasonable (all relatively speaking!); you pay a little more per hour for more kids, but when you split it three ways it's not so bad. Usually either one parent hosts it at their house or they rotate, and the Richmond (or lots of areas of SF, for that matter) have lots of places to go during the day. You see a lot of nannies at the playgrounds, library, storytimes, etc.

The Richmond has some daycares with good reputations, too, but I don't have any personal experience with any of them or know what the waiting list situation is like.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:01 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Go to the Presidio web site and press Leasing. You can live on the grounds at a reduced rate if you work there. There should also be daycare available on site

Old 11-07-2009, 06:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggarelli View Post
Thank you - it's good to hear from other parents doing what we're thinking of doing. Thanks for the info on the Golden Gate Mothers Club - I'll have to check it out.

What is a nanny share program?

20 minutes on a bus would be great. I commute 15 minutes now, so it would be wonderful to have something similar.

Yes, we looked at the Presidio website, but it looks like the cheaper rentals are for the low-income people. It looks like they have a Presidio employee preference, but not sure if the rent is any lower. Seems like to get 2000+ sq ft at the Presidio, you'd have to pay at least $4k. But, we'll give them a call to confirm that is the case. When I originally wanted to buy in SF a few years ago, we went to the Presidio, but they only offered rentals. It's absolutely beautiful there though and we would love it if we could live there. But, I guess at least we have some options with that, Richmond district, Sunset district, and the Mt. Davidson area.

Thanks so much for your input!
Yes you can't buy in the National Park, The Apartments at Baker Beach were nice and ran about $1,900 if you worked in the Park. The housing at the top of that hill was even nicer but no Ocean View. I rented on 21st Ave near Geary for $2150, I had 2 Bdrms and 2 baths AND 2 Parking Spaces. Before that I was out on 43rd Ave near Clement, same thing with an Ocean View for $2,500.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Nanny shares just mean that instead of going to a daycare, or instead of hiring your own nanny, you go in with one or two other parents and hire one nanny for several kids. I haven't done it, but it seems to be really popular in SF. I'm assuming some of that is due to the difficulty finding a good, convenient daycare that has spaces available for young kids. Also, the costs make it pretty reasonable (all relatively speaking!); you pay a little more per hour for more kids, but when you split it three ways it's not so bad. Usually either one parent hosts it at their house or they rotate, and the Richmond (or lots of areas of SF, for that matter) have lots of places to go during the day. You see a lot of nannies at the playgrounds, library, storytimes, etc.

The Richmond has some daycares with good reputations, too, but I don't have any personal experience with any of them or know what the waiting list situation is like.
Thanks Uptown - that is great information!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Go to the Presidio web site and press Leasing. You can live on the grounds at a reduced rate if you work there. There should also be daycare available on site
Thanks Boompa. I sent an e-mail to the leasing office to get more information on discounts if you work on the grounds.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Yes you can't buy in the National Park, The Apartments at Baker Beach were nice and ran about $1,900 if you worked in the Park. The housing at the top of that hill was even nicer but no Ocean View. I rented on 21st Ave near Geary for $2150, I had 2 Bdrms and 2 baths AND 2 Parking Spaces. Before that I was out on 43rd Ave near Clement, same thing with an Ocean View for $2,500.
Yeah, it'd be fine without the ocean view. I think my main concern is getting a closer commute to our jobs, being able to get at least 2400 sq ft for about $3500, daycare that is not more expensive than what we are paying now, and getting my oldest daughter into a decent public school where she will feel safe.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,212 times
You folks are fun. Glad you're staying segregated in your little enclave of alternate reality and not polluting the rest of the country.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
You folks are fun. Glad you're staying segregated in your little enclave of alternate reality and not polluting the rest of the country.
Excuse me, but I'm actually a conservative and have voted that way in every election. And I know quite a few conservatives who live in the City just so that they have the easier commute. So, don't you dare call me a liberal. It doesn't matter if I live in the East Bay or in the City, because you know what - I'm out-numbered anyway. If I wanted to be surrounded by the same politics, I'd live in a "blue state." But, I honestly gave up on politics, and at any rate, since both my husband and I are in the tech sectors, we go where most of the tech jobs are (i.e. SF). In this economy, I'm thankful that SF is still hiring.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,212 times
If you and your husband are conservatives prepared for the worst experience of your life moving to the City, the "bluest" of all nanny-state cities in the USA. I still think you've got your priorities wrong even if you don't want to hear that. Raising children via childcare is a terrible thing. Who's more important in your lives, you or your children? Making money isn't the most important thing a parent can do, raising their children is.

It's a lovely city to visit but a horrible one to live in unless you are in line with what people like Gavin Newsome espouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland