Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 PM

334 posts, read 1,067,453 times

Advertisements

Another thing that really shocks me is the crime on public transport. There are always people getting into fights etc. on busses and BART.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:18 AM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times
So...should I be out and out afraid for moving to SF!? It sounds like I WILL get robbed or murdered at some point...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
^

No you won't. There are 800,000 people here. Have we all been robbed and murdered too? Seriously...

Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
When we moved to SF, (to Noe Valley, a supposedly very upscale suburb w/ average homeprices in the millions) our car was both broken into and keyed while parked in front of our house. We were also in a taxi before moving here and someone pulled A GUN on our cab driver. Scared the HELL out of me. My pilates teacher was robbed at knifepoint walking home in broad daylight.
How do you confuse a neighborhood in the center of the City, not even far from downtown, as being a suburb? How small are you under the impression the City of SF actually is? A square mile or two around Union Square and the TL? Do you even know what a suburb is? For some reason quite a few people on this site have their definition of that term confused.

And were you seriously oblivious enough when you moved here not to know that Noe Valley borders the Mission? Its kind of obvious that SOME crime is going to exist in a NEIGHBORHOOD that sits right next to what is essentially the gang stronghold of the City.

Quote:
Don't plan on keeping anything very nice in San Francisco. You will run the risk of it being stolen or vandalized.
Why stop there? I don't think anyone should ever own anything nice anywhere. That way nobody can EVER take it or vandalize it! Better safe than sorry, I always say! Don't plan on keeping anything very nice in North America (not even in Greenland!), so you never have to worry! Gimme a break.

Quote:
There is a LOT of theft and violent crime in San Francisco. The homeless and drug addicts is not only a huge problem, but completely out in the open the largest shopping and tourist district in California (Union Square) or possibly the country, and its just disgusting. It is not just in the ghettoey parts of Oakland as the SF Chronicle would like people to believe.

Another thing that really shocks me is the crime on public transport. There are always people getting into fights etc. on busses and BART.
Yeah, and in SF its really scary at all hours of the daytime when you walk on the streets, there's always this black guy (sometimes several) that follows you around on the ground wherever you go! He'll show up and sometimes get taller, sometimes shorter, and he'll disappear and then all of a sudden he's right with you again! I've even seen him at night when I walk by street lights! I have no idea how many of them there are, but they're everywhere in SF! And I hear if you get caught alone by one he'll beat, rob and rape you before he skins you alive and eats you! SF is such an awful, horrible, terrifying place! Luckily there are no other cities around that have any of these problems.

You should head back to your crime-free haven of LOS ANGELES (LMAO), stat!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:17 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
She saw their pictures in the newspaper in an article about the Novato murder, and instantly recognized them as two of the guys who were in the group that jumped her.
That's nuts! Glad to hear your mom got away from those dicks.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,918 times
.............Just avoid the Tenderloin........Avoid the Tenderloin!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:18 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
I like SF for its beauty and bigger city feel but I know what that brings. It brings crimes and the people who prey on innocent victims. These are usually crimes of opportunity in most areas.

I have never been a victim of crime in SF but I am pretty savvy when it comes to not being a victim.

My other half will not go to SF especially without me because of the "ghetto" element. Yes there is a very big one...(sorry if you don't agree)

I am not worried about being murdered or shot over a drug deal gone bad or because of a gang issue. I do worry about being a victim of a robbery or my vehicle being burglarized.

I think SF is very livable but you have to be real about what to expect.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
SF is livable, you just have to be a street savvy person, who can read a city atmosphere very well. And childless :+

Old 01-14-2010, 01:13 AM

3 posts, read 9,001 times
Im 14 And Live In San francisco The mission **** happens lived here my whole life
Places to be cautious The Mission Hunters point very spread out really bad rep for not much
thats pretty much it

A few facts per capita san francisco has more crime then La san diego houston Atlanta nyc
that means if San francisco was as big as those cities there would be a higher homicide rate

If Your Not very street wise dont goto Sf Its a very dense city it has very random acts of violence primarily in The mission Mainly Colors Dont wear red from 20th down dont wear blue 20th and up
People are usally very freindly in the mission if you dont wear blue or red thats good

as for hunters point Where i goto school I am a Latino-White male About 5,9
I kno kids in hunters point who always have a gun same with kids from the mission the diffrence is HP has A really bad rep and Hp has thugs not gang bangers thats the mission that has gangbangers

To Conclude Stop bashing the tenderloin it doesnt have a high crime rate
Dont go to hunters point if you are kinda flashy
abide by the colors rule in the mission you should be fine

Places to stay away in The mission

York street
alabama st.
shotwell st
24th mission
16 mission
18 mission
17 valencia

Hunters point is very spread out so places to avoid

Lakeview
Sunnydale
3rd an paluoe
oakdale
dubblerock

Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
Some of the posters here are hilarious. San Francisco is a city. Cities have crime. Get used to it. If you'd rather live in the burbs, move.

Compared to most cities in the midwest or on the east coast, San Francisco is very safe. Try Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, etc. Those cities have real crime problems. One of San Francisco's ghettos, the Western Addition, is filled with beautiful victorians, Alamo Square, and many high class people.

I live in the Mission, which many people consider to be very unsafe. I've never once felt threatened or unsafe in this neighborhood. You need to be street smart and confident. Don't look like a victim and you most likely won't be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland