Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:19 PM

131 posts, read 278,858 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I just accepted a 13 week travel nursing position at Monterey Community. I am very curious and excited about any and all information shared, should you be so willing!!! Tell me whatever you'd like, and any emphasis in the following areas would be greatly appreciated, as well!!! Keep in mind I'm a 29 y.o. single female. I love the outdoors, love music, reading, easy going, casual type...not a Gucci kind of girl!!

---Where to live??? Any cool apartment/condos to recommend. Budget of around $1500/month. Def would like to be cheaper, though, if possible.

---General info about the area. Is it all generrally safe?? Any areas to be avoided?? Types of people inhabiting the town, would it be better to live in PG??? Night life? Not to be missed restaurants, coffee shops, bars??

---Must see neighboring sites/day trips?? How 'bout those hot springs I'm reading about??? Nearby???

---Plan on hitting the gym pretty hard, joining some exercise classes or getting into Yoga...any recommendations??

---And lastly, how's the hospital's reputation????

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATE!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,330,425 times
The Monterey peninsula is an awesome place to be. Consider yourself lucky to have that assignment. It's not so big that you won't be able to find all the good spots just by driving around a bit. Be sure to take a trip down to Nepenthe and have lunch in a beautiful spot overlooking the Pacific and then to Big Sur. It's all good!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,412,357 times
I lot of the people on this thread will be envious of you. Ocean Drive in Carmel is great. I would check out Hogs Breath Inn and Forge in the Forest. Remember that Clint Eastwood was the mayor of Carmel years and years ago. He still lives there, I believe. The 17 mile drive is a must for the kodak moments if nothing else.

Mission Carmel is nice stop for a taste of the history of California. Point Lobos is a great state park. Of course the Monterey Aquarium is outstanding.

If you can't find affordable housing in Monterey, you can always check Seaside.

Lucky you! Carmel is one of my favorite places!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM

If you like it a little sunnier, warmer and more rural feeling, Carmel Valley is also really nice. The only problem you're going to have will be leaving after your 13 weeks are up.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM

131 posts, read 278,858 times
I'm getting even more excited! Thanks for the feedback. I love it!

Just realized I posted in SF forum....anyone know how to move it?? Sorry!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM

I don't know how to move a thread, but I doubt that you are going to get any better response on the San Jose board.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Be sure to take a cruise of Monterey Bay to see a lot of the sea life out there. If you're there at the right time you can see the grey whales swimming through.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM

Here is a website to check out apartments. Go to the floorplan section to see monthly prices.

Monterey Apartments for Rent - Monterey Apartments Reviews and Ratings

You will have to check to see if they would allow short term renters.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 PM

18 posts, read 60,293 times
Hi again!!! How would it be to live in Pebble Beach???? Would it be too "mature" and slow??

Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 PM

I think that Pebble Beach would be even more expensive than the surrounding areas. Besides the country club, I don't think that there is anything there besides a small shopping center. It is pretty much part of the 17 mile drive. I think you would just have "mature and slow" country club people with old money. I think you would be much better of in Carmel or Monterey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland