Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,521,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
News flash, genius:

2010 so far has consisted of the 26 first days of the month of January. Which is winter. And winter in SF is rainy and cloudy. Get back to us in a year, and then we'll see how many sunny days there have been.

Also, i work outside (landscaper/gardener, yet another reason why i definitely know what i'm talking about in regards to SF's weather...and Jman is right). We've had sun even in the middle of all these thunderstorms. I was getting rained and hailed on in the Sunset district last Saturday, and then an hour later it was sunny and warm for 30 minutes, before more storm clouds rolled in.
I totally concur with your observations but disagree with the spin you put on the facts. jman was suggesting that SF gets clear sunny days during the winter rain and summer fog season. But it is never for the whole day. In winter you can get at most few hours of sun here and there and in summer you get more sun when fog is not around. In any case, if your definition of sunny day is 30 min of sun in a 24 day, then yes SF is sunny by those standards- But most normal people would call it a cloudy day if the sun barely shows up for 1 hour in the whole day. I will call it a sunny day only when the sun shines from sunrise to sunset.

Most people are outside only during their commute on a weekday. And if it is foggy during morning/evening commute and if they work indoor, that means they will just see a foggy day and no sun! Don't you notice how gloomy and sad people look here, which I guess is partly due to the weather! People who like sunny So Cal style weather will need to take anti-depressants here-

The only time SF gets few consecutive clear sunny days for the entire length of the day (i.e. like LA weather) is during the two months or so of Indian summer (september/october). So the bottomline is, saying the SF has 265 sunny days a year is terribly misleading and another example of illogical bragging about the city!

I don't judge a city by how good the weather is but if the weather sucks then it sucks, no matter how much spin you put on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,116,996 times
I believe there is a specific set of criteria for a day being deemed sunny for purposes of statistics. Has to be sunny for a majority of daylight hours (I'm not sure of the exact criteria). The day won't be counted as sunny if there is sun for only a couple hours. As has been said countless times before, that varies pretty widely by area within the city during spring and summer. All of the "Avenues"-Inner/Outer Richmond and Inner/Outer Sunset-are known to be distinctly more overcast than the rest of the city.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,142,355 times
Hunter's Point has the best weather in SF. The rest of the city is too cool for my tastes.... but then again Hunter's Point is just bad for your safety.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,482,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
> Oh yeah? Do you recall a single sunny day in 2010 so far? I remember only one day that had couple of hours suuny+cloud mix! My observation is based on Sunset, Mission and Mission bay. But maybe you were sunbathing all along in some nice secret spot that the rest of the city is not aware of - You should simply stop misleading people here. If the weather is not pleasant it is not the fault of the city. So don't take it personally.
Wow, you continue to surprise me with how you keep finding mundane concepts to prove to be too advanced for you. Did I say there had been any sunny days so far this year?? Its the heart of winter - which is the heart of our rainy season - right now. Did January 1-26 count as the entirety of the "4 months of cold and rain" that you claimed constituted SF's weather until the next falsehood you claimed of there being 6 straight months of cold/fog? These were your words:

Quote:
SF weather has 3 seasons: 4 months of cold and rain, 6 months of cool and fog, and 2 months of warm/mild.
So unless your understanding of 4 months amounts to 26 days, I have no idea why you even asked that question. Was there any point when I said January was a sunny month here? You should really stop speaking on what you know nothing about. And in doing so, it is YOU who would be misleading people if anyone actually took you seriously. But a simple run through of a few of your posts should negate anyone doing that in the first place.

And seeing as your comedically incorrect assessment of our weather is based on 3 out of 50-70 neighborhoods that exist in a city that is famous for having microclimates, its laughable that your only basis for recapping a yearly rundown of SF's weather year-in and year-out consists of less than 3 months experience in 3 cherry-picked neighborhoods. LOL. Nice try, but you keep proving to be a know-nothing who KNOWS NOTHING!

As for the weather here being unpleasant, its not at all IMO. I'm not from some Sunbelt city that has no variation in weather, so SF's weather is fine in my eyes. I think it actually adds to the City's quirky nature. And I don't have beef with anyone not liking it. The one and only issue here is that you fail (as always) to describe it realistically. The weather patterns you gave are not constant and you did exaggerate. So you are now being corrected by people who know the reality. Misleading people is what you are attempting to do by not telling it truthfully. Rah told things truthfully; you should try and learn from him. Unless you enjoy always making a fool of yourself (which for whatever reason you really seem to).

Oh, and kudos to you on your sudden mastery of the quote feature! Its about freakin time lol.

Last edited by jman650; 01-27-2010 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
jman was suggesting that SF gets clear sunny days during the winter rain and summer fog season. But it is never for the whole day. In winter you can get at most few hours of sun here and there and in summer you get more sun when fog is not around.
Again, oh he-who-has-no-clue , the rainy winter has a little-known season that follows it before the "summer fog season" you may not have heard about called SPRING. During SPRING there are both rainy/cloudy days and sunny days with light clouds. Furthermore, when the warm summer weather begins, most of the time the fog season does not start right away. So what you keep failing to grasp is that the weather patterns you've described are not CONSTANT, and there are sunny days that do exist throughout the City more often than the 2 short months of Indian Summer.

Additionally, the "summer fog season" does not equate a 6 month period of constant fog for the entire City of San Francisco. There are plenty of days where there won't be fog over much (or at times any) of the City. And there are also many days where there will only be fog in the early morning and after dark. You will eventually discover this (although I imagine as long as you're here the City of SF will likely be cursed with the dark cloud that brought you here in the first place ).

Sunset and Richmond (aka The Avenues) get more fog than the rest of San Francisco. So even when west SF and Brisbane have fog, other sides of SF like downtown and the Marina can be warm and sunny. Hunters Point and Potrero Hill rarely ever get fog. Does this make it sound like the description of SF ONLY having 3 seasons, one of which being 6 straight months of cold and fog, would be correct?? Are you beginning to see why no one's agreeing with you here?

And where did you get that "it is NEVER for the whole day??" How could you possibly know? You just got here, newb.

Why don't you try actually listening to someone who knows instead of just taking out your a$$? How are you going to try and argue with people who have lived here for decades when you've only been here a couple of months?? LMAO you're so far beyond ridiculous I don't even have a word for it!

Quote:
Don't you notice how gloomy and sad people look here, which I guess is partly due to the weather!
I'd be willing to bet these sad and gloomy people you're describing became that way after being in your presence. You don't exactly bring out the "sunshine" in people with your negative perspective and constant badgering/picking apart of everything here. Just fyi.

Quote:
The only time SF gets few consecutive clear sunny days for the entire length of the day (i.e. like LA weather) is during the two months or so of Indian summer (september/october). So the bottomline is, saying the SF has 265 sunny days a year is terribly misleading and another example of illogical bragging about the city!
And here you go again with your irrational, illogical perspective. Your first statement in bold here is again wrong, as there are days that are either clear and sunny or only partially cloudy (aka sunny enough in the opinion of the general populace to be called "sunny days") during the Spring and Summer months. There are also sunny days during the Fall season, you know as in AFTER Indian Summer yet before Winter.

You're being much more misleading here by disallowing SF ANY clear/sunny days throughout the year save tiny little stretches during our hottest season. If someone moved out here to North Beach or the Bayview and read your description of less than 60 days of sun here they'd see how completely false you were in your assessment. And the dumbest part is you are arguing this without ever having witnessed it yourself to formulate your own opinion!

And who here was doing any "bragging about the City" by trying to correct false info about our weather?? No one here is under the illusion that this is LA, genius. Nor do any SF natives (at least that I know of) want it to be. Unlike you, we are well aware of how our weather actually is. Its different, and it is not everyone's cup of tea. But there are plenty of people who do like it, cool and foggy as it is. SF's weather is the reason that other parts of the Bay have some of the most desirable weather in the US (or even world) by many people's accounts. It has nothing to do with "bragging;" it has to do with the fact that you are painting a picture that is simply unrealistic. Notice how you keep coming up short when trying to quote us on the claims you are making, so you keep resorting to spinning our words to have some different meaning? How are you not catching on to this yet?

You chose to live in the SF neighborhood that gets the worst weather of any in the entire City, and coming from TX you should have known better. The Sunset is well-known to have miserable weather. But the City varies from hood to hood, and your comments that largely apply to the Sunset do not often or always apply to many other parts of SF. Look at the variation in the topography here. It shouldn't be so difficult for you to grasp this.

I think you're just trying to hate, like usual. But you're not understanding that our weather is not a source of shame for us. It is what it is, and most of us see no reason to ****** about it. I don't in any way feel SF is at a loss b/c of its weather; I feel quite to the contrary. But don't expect people to agree with you when you are exaggerating and not telling things truthfully.

Last edited by jman650; 01-27-2010 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I believe there is a specific set of criteria for a day being deemed sunny for purposes of statistics. Has to be sunny for a majority of daylight hours (I'm not sure of the exact criteria). The day won't be counted as sunny if there is sun for only a couple hours. As has been said countless times before, that varies pretty widely by area within the city during spring and summer. All of the "Avenues"-Inner/Outer Richmond and Inner/Outer Sunset-are known to be distinctly more overcast than the rest of the city.
This sums it all up perfectly. +1

Old 01-27-2010, 03:31 PM

LOL my browser accidentally scrolled down when I tried to rep you ^^ and ended up repping andy's idiotic post. So sorry for the confusion andy, but you didn't just find someone agreeing with your nonsense here lol .

Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
And seeing as your comedically incorrect assessment of our weather is based on 3 out of 50-70 neighborhoods that exist in a city that is famous for having microclimates, its laughable that your only basis for recapping a yearly rundown of SF's weather year-in and year-out consists of less than 3 months experience in 3 cherry-picked neighborhoods. LOL. Nice try, but you keep proving to be a know-nothing who KNOWS NOTHING!
And despite living here for ever you don't seem to know much about the city layout do you? In terms of land area sunset and richmond districts are the largest districts and together they are at least 1/3 of SF land area (better learn to use google map). You probably also know that the area around SFSU/Stonestown/Lake Merced gets very foggy as well. Even Haight and Panhandle gets a lot of fog and so does Presidio.

So when you say sunset and richmond are just two out of 50 (I don't care even its 500) neighborhoods you are grossly misleading people. The foggy neighborhoods comprise about half of the city and you can't just ignore half of the city like that! So statistically speaking you should divide your estimate of number of sunny days by 2 to give a more realistic idea of what the weather is actually like. You see, the famous microclimate works both ways and you should stop cherry picking the data-

Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,245,693 times
^just stop trying.

First you say the Sunset and Richmond comprise a third of the city. then you say half the city is foggy all the time. Well guess what? Either way that leaves 2/3 to 1/2 of the city that ISN'T foggy all the time (on the contrary, more often than not there's no fog in those parts of the city...and once again, even the Richmond and Sunset aren't foggy all the time), and that hardly qualifies SF as the perpetually fog-enshrouded block of ice that you keep trying to make it out out be.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
and that hardly qualifies SF as the perpetually fog-enshrouded block of ice that you keep trying to make it out out be.
Don't put word in my mouth ! I never said that is always foggy but anyone who lives here knows very well that saying SF is 265 sunny days is utterly ludicrous ! So why the inane propaganda? Why mislead people?

FYI, in August of 2009 there was a period of 3 days where the entire city (including Potrero hill) was covered in fog..But I guess you would count that sunny because there was bright sun shining above the 1000 feet layer of fog Or maybe you are confused between daylight and direct sun!

So here is the real data:
Sunniest US Cities - Current Results

SF has 160 clear days but only 66% sunshine, which translates to effectively 105 days of sun! Even the 66% sounds like it was estimate downtown, not the western part of the city!

Now please man up (or woman-) and tell everyone how many times have you seen a real sunrise (or sunset) on the horizon from SF? If you live here you pretty much miss two of the best moments of the day because of the fog/marine layer. Sunset district is a terrible misnomer because you rarely see the sunset here-

My goal is simply to educate people who do not live here and might buy into the exaggerations about how sunny SF is. Once again, I don't judge a city by the weather so why become so defensive? Except SF, Bay area has excellent weather and it is fairly easy to get out of SF because of its tiny size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland