Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,872 times

Advertisements

Hey all

My name is Phil and I'm a 21 year old Architecture student from Cork, Ireland and I have booked flights and a J-1 work-visa to work in San Francisco this summer. I'm arriving on the 23rd of May and leaving on the 1st September.

I cannot wait to get over to the states and have a brilliant summer. We are planning to live in Berkeley and commute to the city if needs be for work, which brings me to the reason for my post.

I am desperately looking to sort out a job before I go state-side as it would give me much better peace of mind. I have lots of previous work experience ranging from supermarkets to bookstore sales assistant to office clerical work and a typing speed of over 80WPM.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that would be hiring summer-staff in the San Fran/Berkeley area or maybe if you know someone personally who is looking for reliable friendly staff with the added bonus of the Irish accent

I can send my C.V and references without a problem and I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks alot for taking the time to read guys, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Bump

Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
I honestly don't think you'll be able to find work prior to moving out...the economy here is almost as bad as Ireland's is right now.

Do you go to UCC? Perhaps you can talk to a career counselor there for ideas or opportunities that they might know of?

My best advice would be to come out with plenty of money to get you through your time here...then look for something after you arrive. Check out craigslist for an ideas for opportunities in/out of your field. Unfortunately even low level retail, restaurant/cafe work is probably not even great right now. The Irish accent might not help with the job situation, but it'll certainly help in the romance department! (just ask my husband! )

Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,990 times
Default Similar situation!

Hey! I'm heading over to SF too with a gang, we're all from Ireland. I'm hearing a lot of conflicting stories about SF and the situation there, I have started applying for different jobs already but mostly in the retail, admin and hospitality industry, although there arent that many that seem to be going at the moment, we're hoping this will change coming into the summer season. My brother lives in SF permanently and although this may contradict the previous post and although I dont have as much knowledge as an SF resident, I reckon work is there to be gotten to be honest from what i'm hearing from a few reliable sources and employers I know over there. I think your best bet will to try as much as you can before you go to get something sorted, but it may prove difficult, and if not go over and see how you get on, California is a big place with loads of opportunities especially during the summer. Moving on to some where like San Diego or Santa Barbra, may also turn out to be a good option.

Either way I'm sure us Irish will live it up this summer!

Enjoy.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Hit up the temp agencies when you get here. Good luck and have fun! My daughter went to Ireland last summer and had a blast, but didn't need to find a job since it was a study abroad thing.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Yeah I go to UCC, I might ask a career advisor alright if they have any ideas.

I had imagined it would be quite hard alright to find something before I go over but since my money situation isn't so good I'd really like to sort something first!

Thanks alot for all you're help And BUMP! ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland