Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times

Advertisements

Today, it's actually colder and wetter in SD than SF, so at least don't complain today!

As for liking either/or, why can't people love both places? To me, La Jolla AND SF are both heaven on Earth. Two of the best and most scenic places on the planet. Someone said the restaurants in SF cater exclusively to tourists. Anyone who thinks that must never leave Fisherman's Wharf. SF and NYC are the top two food cities in the nation -- NYC wins on talent, but SF wins on access to year-round produce and seafood, and New Orleans is right behind them in food status. Dining out is one of the best things in SF, and one of the things it's most famous for among tourists and locals alike. Seriously, La Jolla has very few good restaurants, barring the Sky Room (stuffy and old) and Nine-Ten (decent). It's a small village for crying out loud. This whole comparison is really weird to begin with. It would make more sense to compare La Jolla with, say, Sausalito, which is more similar in style and location. In that comparison, La Jolla would win hands-down. But at least that comparison would make sense. Comparing LJ and SF is like comparing an SUV with a sportscar. They're incomparable to one another.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USEU9 View Post
Why is a city with such high taxes, and a relatively low population so filthy?

Also run down, dingy, smelly, dangeous and run by the homeless.

I've travelled a lot, moved here from La Jolla, and this is not a sophisticated city at all.

And for the love of God; the weather here is awful. I miss the "sexy" hot summers in SoCal. Sick of the nasty weather here and wearing a light jacket in the summer. Yuck.

This place is not fabulous at all.

(and I like cities... I've been to New York, Paris, London, Barcelona, and this tasteless city is a joke compared to those)

I miss La jolla so much
oh good lordy, another one of these drive by posts of turdish drivel.....

Then by ALL means get your a s s back to bland, lily white, LaJolla!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
san francisco is a great city if you are wealthy(or live in a wealthy area).when my friends who lived in the mission would visit me in pacific hts they would comment on how clean the streets were compared to the mission.my friend called the city to complain about the trash but he said they hung up when he said he lived in the mission.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
City of SF is a commie slum, as is NYC, but SF is a hell of a lot cheaper and has lower income taxes
SF and SV have world's best weather for those who drive everywhere and wear suit jackets to office/dinner...and have modern HVAC in offices/houses/cars, etc
Can easily drive around SF unlike NYC as have spacious garages and valet parking everywhere that matters: quintessential CA car culture, like LA

SD is Qualcomm town; not sure what else of an economy exists in the little town....and aside from In-N-Out Burger not much edible food, even in LJ/RSF...and burgers get old fast, no matter how good
What? No bizarre random comments about hedge funds Greenwhich CT,NYC, Palo Alto and Silicon Valley?

Oh, wait I take it back, you do reference suit jacket wearing people (who the heck are those guys in Sf again?) oops, my bad, it's your "hedge fund" guys you always post about.

Seriously, where the heck do you live anyway? It sure isn't SF.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
san francisco is a great city if you are wealthy(or live in a wealthy area).when my friends who lived in the mission would visit me in pacific hts they would comment on how clean the streets were compared to the mission.my friend called the city to complain about the trash but he said they hung up when he said he lived in the mission.
I like the Mission much more than Pacific Heights.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I heard that some of the programs used in the city has actually helped the homelessness problem. And now this whole "sit-lie" thing looks like it could help. I don't really know too much about it though, but it seemed to work in Seattle according to the article I read.
I hope it does. We'll see if some loud mouthed interest group doesn't come in and try to destroy it. And ultimately, I think these folks need some mandatory drug rehab or mental health services. All the mental health system does in many areas is admit people when they've totally messed themselves up then discharge them. Doesn't really do anything in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I think highly of this city, and I always have since even before I moved here. I don't know if that's a bad thing or not . I can see it if too many people let it go to their head that they live in the uber-cool SF how that could lead to snobbery. I personally think SF is uber-cool, but I don't let it go to my head .
Some people do let it go to their heads, at least some San Franciscans I am aquainted with. There's this kind of attitude that they're smarter and more sophisticated and that people in most of the rest of the country are dumb rednecks. Sometimes it's a very blatant thing, and sometimes it's more subtle.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I can totally understand how the OP feels. It is shocking when you suddenly move to third world conditions from a more civilized place! I would also add that SF has some of the ugliest, junkiest overpriced housing without much appliances/amenities. This place is seriously stuck in the past and the most annoying fact is that many residents feel they are living in some kind of heaven.
You can thank the rent control laws for the lack of amenities. That's what landlords do when they can't raise the rent.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:03 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
ZOMG people.

You haven't realized it??! This is a troll!!!

First and only post was purposely made to 'stir up' the masses.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 PM

206 posts, read 416,695 times
San Francisco is a dump! Did you live, work and never step out of the Tenderloin?

Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,549 times
SF has some positive aspects like dining, tons of luxury shopping within walking distance (while the same experience can also be had in Beverly Hills in a much cleaner, less crowded environment with no homeless), and a few nice views...particularly in the Marina district and Pacific Heights. The bay and GGB views are lovely.

Coming from SoCal, it is a huge adjustment due to the weather, crime, run down buildings, lack of cleanliness in most parts of the city, and homeless problem. I cannot think of one city south of Monterey with a homeless, crime. and crumbling, decaying infrastructure on the level of San Francisco. My dad was shocked how filthy the BART trains were...particularly the brown filth caked on the windows. He said riding BART felt like being in communist Russia.

These issues are so unfortunate because SF could truly be a world class city if the city govt. got their heads out of their you know what's and started to address these issues. Unfortunately...much of SF population is transient or very wealthy people who live insular, so there is no investment into the community by the people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland