Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 50,518 times

Advertisements

Is there a city or town within a 15 or 20 minute BART ride to the City that is appreciably warmer and sunnier than San Francisco?

I will soon relocate to the Bay area from the East Coast. Ideally, I'd like to live in the City, but am concerned that it will be too cold and/or foggy for my taste. I prefer 75 degrees and warmer during the summer with lots of sun. I assume that's not obtainable in San Francisco (please let me know if that's not correct). Pleasanton and Walnut Creek are too far from the City. Is Berkeley significantly warmer/sunnier?

Relatedly, can anyone recommend a good website (or other source of info) concerning the microclimates in the Bay area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:11 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
San Francisco Bay Area, California Climate Summaries

This is a good website that chronicles the monthly averages of random places around the Bay Area.

Keep in mind that unlike most places in the US, the hottest temperatures in California (due to the way the Pacific Currents work) is during August and September. In the Bay Area, its called an "Indian Summer".

Now, its a good thing you mention the microclimates. Due to the very rough topography of the California coast (especially in the Bay Area), it gets much warmer the more inland you get. However, even within those general confines, you still get major variances. Locales along the Pacific Coast (such as Half Moon Bay and Pacifica) will be nearly constantly in the upper-50s, low 60s most of the year, while places along the Bay side will be much warmer (such as Oakland, Alameda, Fremont), and even warmer still in the Tri-Valley area (Dublin, Pleasanton, Danville, Walnut Creek, etc.). Keep in mind that nights around the Bay Area, no matter where you are, are still pretty chilly (mid-high 50s). That used to make me mad when I was up there because I love warm summer nights!

In San Francisco, you can have a 10 degree temperature difference from neighborhood to neighborhood. The Sunset district (facing the Pacific Ocean) will constantly be in the high 50s, low 60s and foggy, while it could be in the high 60s-low 70s and sunny in Downtown San Francisco along the Bay.

However, for temperatures that are 75 and warm, you are looking at places in the South Bay, like San Jose, Santa Clara, etc.
SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

San Jose average highs:
June: 79.2
July: 82.2
August: 81.8

Oakland and Berkeley get close, but they can still be somewhat chilly from time to time. I used to live in Berkeley, and during the Summer it would get foggy/cloudy from time to time. Yet, it was still somewhat warm.:
BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
July: 69.8
August: 70.0
September: 71.8

My personal favorite weather spot, aside from the South Bay (which reminds me A LOT of SoCal), are places like Newark and Fremont, and Union City.
NEWARK, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
June: 74.0
July: 76.8
August: 77.2
September: 77.2

Fremont has its own BART stop, is really multiethnic (in terms of Asian ethnicities; all the Indians, Afghans, Chinese, and Filipinos you could ever want!), and is a really quiet community. I just don't like how there are red light cameras everywhere. However, it will take 35-45 minutes to get to SF, so it may not be that much worth it. However, before my aunt retired, she did the commute from Newark to San Francisco every day (and so did thousands of other people). I really think its an underrated area.

Before all of that, what kind of budget are you looking at? What kind of amenities do you need? That will also help determine where you could live around the Bay Area.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
I'm not sure if BART runs into Marin county but it is just across the Golden Gate bridge and is much warmer on the bay side of the coastal mountains. Places like San Rafael\ San Anselmo\ Fairfax can easily be well above 80F while San Francisco is foggy and 60F. Right on the bay is Sausalito & about halfway between San Francisco's cool marine climate & Marin county's warm\ sunny weather. Same thing down the San Francisco peninsula. You don't have to go very far to be in warm temps. I don't think BART goes beyond the airport but is probably being extended down to San Jose on both the peninsula & east-bay sides of San Francisco bay. Just 10 miles out of the city it is noticeably warmer near the airport\ San Bruno.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'm not sure if BART runs into Marin county but it is just across the Golden Gate bridge and is much warmer on the bay side of the coastal mountains. Places like San Rafael\ San Anselmo\ Fairfax can easily be well above 80F while San Francisco is foggy and 60F. Right on the bay is Sausalito & about halfway between San Francisco's cool marine climate & Marin county's warm\ sunny weather. Same thing down the San Francisco peninsula. You don't have to go very far to be in warm temps. I don't think BART goes beyond the airport but is probably being extended down to San Jose on both the peninsula & east-bay sides of San Francisco bay. Just 10 miles out of the city it is noticeably warmer near the airport\ San Bruno.
No wonder Marin is so expensive. I wish they had a BART tunnel running under golden gate bridge!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yep BART does not go to Marin, we can all thank the Marin NIMBY's for that.

It is warmer in Berkeley/Oakland/Albany etc. than most of SF, but it's "always sunny in the Mission" (truth be told it's just not as foggy in the Mission as other neighborhoods)

It is warmer in the South Bay too, if you are into that sort of thing. blech.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 31,527 times
Yes, the San Ramon Valley, which includes Walnut Creek, Alamo, Danville, San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasanton. Also, check out Pleasant Hill and Concord. However, it would be a 36 minute BART ride from the Walnut Creek station to the SF Embarcadero station. Otherwise, for a closer commute try looking in Lafayette, Orinda or Moraga.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:40 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Windsor is not bad, I think it can get up the 100's in the summer, but it does cool off a lot at night.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 AM

334 posts, read 1,066,796 times
The weather is really nice right now in the east bay....its been in the low 70's during the day with a very hot, bright sun. Supposed to be in the mid 70's all weekend.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Weather was nice the past several days in SF too, mostly in the mid 60's to mid 70's i would guess (this is in Noe Valley, the Mission, the Inner Sunset, and Ingleside, the areas i'm usually in the most these days)...until today that is, as we now have a storm passing through the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland