Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 AM

593 posts, read 1,762,297 times

Advertisements

For those familiar with both, how would you compare these two neighborhoods?

In terms of:

commercial activity
housing stock
public transit
nightlife
nearby neighborhoods

I lived in SF for years, but have to admit I never really got to know these two neighborhoods very well. Im now trying to advise a friend who is moving there, and has narrowed it down to these two.....

Besides the categories above, how would you generally compare and describe these neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
For those familiar with both, how would you compare these two neighborhoods?

In terms of:

commercial activity
housing stock
public transit
nightlife
nearby neighborhoods

I lived in SF for years, but have to admit I never really got to know these two neighborhoods very well. Im now trying to advise a friend who is moving there, and has narrowed it down to these two.....

Besides the categories above, how would you generally compare and describe these neighborhoods?

Thanks!
I'm very familiar with both neighborhoods, so here's my take:

commercial activity
-bernal heights: Cortland Street is the main commercial strip. It's your typical residential commercial area, with coffee shops, restaurants, corner stores, a library, a video store, a few shops, etc
-Inner Sunset: Irving Street and 9th avenue between Judah and Lincoln are the commercial streets. Pretty much the same type of stuff as in Bernal Heights, but a good deal more of it.
housing stock
there are more apartments in the Inner Sunset vs. Bernal heights, which is largely single family homes. Bernal heights also posses some housing projects off of Holly Park circle and down at the bottom of the hill along Alemany Blvd (the Holly Park circle projects aren't too bad, but the Alemany ones are).
public transit
both have a few bus lines running through them. Bernal Heights has the 24 and 14 bus lines which run 24 hours, and the Inner sunset has the N train line, which also runs 24 hours, so good transit for both.
nightlife
Plenty of bars in both, and that's the extent of nightilfe in each that i'm aware of.
nearby neighborhoods
-bordering the inner Sunset: Outer Sunset, Cole valley, Golden Gate Park/the Richmond, the Haight, Golden Gate Heights, Forest Hill.
-Bordering Bernal Heights: The Mission, the Bayview/Hunters Point, Portola, the Excelsior, Glen Park, Potrero Hill.

some more info:

Bernal heights is more white, latino and black, and the inner sunset is more asian and white. Bernal Heights is less densely populated/is smaller, has a mix of middle and working class, some yuppie types, and some impoverished people too (the projects). Bernal heights also has lots of kids and families, and a big lesbian community from what i hear (not like it's overrun with lesbians haha, but there are some lesbian bars and such). Bernal Heights has more of an "edge" and while i don't have stats, it's pretty much certain to have a good deal more violent crime overall than the inner sunset (because of the projects and proximity to some of SF's worst areas, etc...it's only natural). I'm not saying there's crime to the extent that one should be scared to be in Bernal Heights, but just be aware of where the projects are, and keep your eyes open when near them, or at night. I've personally been attempted mugged in Bernal heights once (yes, two blocks from the projects). It's in general a pretty quiet and family-friendly hood though.

In terms of price neither are wholly expensive or cheap, but i'd say the inner Sunset is a little more expensive overall. Both posses more affluent parts and cheaper parts, with the cheapest prices likely being found in Bernal heights, getting cheaper the farther south in the hood you go (you guessed it, the projects are in the south end), as well as being cheaper right on the border with the mission.

while both aren't the most well-known areas, Bernal Heights is more off the beaten path. The inner sunset is right next to the 9th Ave. entrance to Golden Gate Park, so there are usually a good deal of tourists wandering around. Tourists are basically unheard of in Bernal Heights, on the other hand.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:34 PM

70 posts, read 179,758 times
Inner Sunset has a LOT more going on in terms of shops and restaurants. Also, you've got Golden Gate Park right there, and Haight/Cole Valley are nearby. It's also much more accessible via public transportation. It's foggy, colder, and mostly flat.

Bernal Heights has a small business district (just a few blocks) and is mostly residential. The surrounding areas are a bit rundown with a working class vibe. Close to Saturday Farmer's Market and freeway. Sunny. Hilly. Active neighborhood association. More crime than the Sunset.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM

593 posts, read 1,762,297 times
Thanks!

It sounds like Bernal Heights is edgier--but which neighborhood is more vibrant and trendier? Which has more character?

Also, how far is the light rail station from Bernal Heights?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:26 PM

I would not describe either Bernal Heights or the Inner Sunset as either "edgy" or "trendy". Inner Sunset is definitely more vibrant. There isn't much going on in Bernal Heights. They each have their own character. If you want to live in a place with a decent selection of bars, restaurants, and shops that you can walk to, a nice big park, and good public transportation, then Inner Sunset is best. If you are a homebody who wants to live in a quiet, sunny, hilly area with a tight-knit neighborhood, then Bernal Heights is better.

If it was me, I'd pick Inner Sunset. I've lived there and loved it.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faville View Post
I would not describe either Bernal Heights or the Inner Sunset as either "edgy" or "trendy". Inner Sunset is definitely more vibrant. There isn't much going on in Bernal Heights. They each have their own character. If you want to live in a place with a decent selection of bars, restaurants, and shops that you can walk to, a nice big park, and good public transportation, then Inner Sunset is best. If you are a homebody who wants to live in a quiet, sunny, hilly area with a tight-knit neighborhood, then Bernal Heights is better.

I agree with everything you said, but if you believe there's no edge at all to Bernal heights, than you don't really know Bernal heights. Also, the public transportation thing is more or less equal in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 PM

I think I do know Bernal. I've lived nearby, in the Mission, for 10 years and I go there often, because I have friends who live there. To me it does not seem edgy. It is a quiet, family oriented neighborhood
with mostly single family homes and a very small business strip. Yes, there are some funky little places in the strip, but nothing I'd call cutting edge. There is only one bus line that goes through the neighborhood, the 24 Divisadero (ok, the 67 too-- but how often does that thing run?). The Inner Sunset has light rail (the N Judah) as well as bus lines that run to and from downtown.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 PM

62 posts, read 395,267 times
Quote:
There is only one bus line that goes through the neighborhood, the 24 Divisadero (ok, the 67 too-- but how often does that thing run?). The Inner Sunset has light rail (the N Judah) as well as bus lines that run to and from downtown.
Agreed. Public transit in some (most?) areas of Bernal Heights is pretty minimal. The 24 is about it, unless you are close to Mission St. I think I only ever took the 67 a few times -- it never runs when you need it. Most people I knew when I lived there had cars. Bear in mind, too, that the neighborhood is on a hill, so can be harder to traverse than your average map conveys.

Inner Sunset definitely feels more like part of San Francisco, if that makes any sense. Bernal Heights feels like its own little world.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:33 AM

26 posts, read 72,149 times
I'm not the original poster (obviously) but I really appreciate this information. I'll be visiting San Francisco in July, and Inner Sunset is close to where I'll be, anyway, so it helps to know a bit about it. Thanks, all!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM

902 posts, read 2,787,928 times
Quote:

I think by "edgy" rah meant, shady. As in Bernal Heights can be a sketchier neighborhood with more crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland