Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 PM

153 posts, read 381,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Maybe some day! But careers in the sciences don't pay too well. The CalTech students have their own olive grove & press. The annual egg drop and science competitions are the "sports" at Caltech
That depends on what professions you compare it to. I'm guessing you go to the school on Colorado, then? And the Caltech gym is a joke. Especially the swimming pool (or lack thereof, reminds me of a local rec center)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
That depends on what professions you compare it to. I'm guessing you go to the school on Colorado, then? And the Caltech gym is a joke. Especially the swimming pool (or lack thereof, reminds me of a local rec center)
Don't get me wrong, the Caltech campus is great and easy by bike. Pasadena City College is close-by as well. Even though it is only a 2 year college it's sports programs are pretty impressive. Caltech is probably the premiere science university in California and one of the most prestigious schools of its kind in the nation.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 PM

153 posts, read 381,742 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the Caltech campus is great and easy by bike. Pasadena City College is close-by as well. Even though it is only a 2 year college it's sports programs are pretty impressive. Caltech is probably the premiere science university in California and one of the most prestigious schools of its kind in the nation.
No need to praise Caltech in front of me, I've literally grown up with it and have worked with faculty there. I know how good it is, and I've biked on the campus myself. Do you go to PCC, then?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
As an occasional troll on California topics, I weigh in primarily when I think the locals are throwing their weight around (the Arizona issue) and basking in their own self-importance, or their tool politicians are pandering as they fingerwag at other states. Other than that, Californians are no better or worse than anyone else. With 38 million people, no stereotype could possibly be meaningful. You are talking about a state with ten times the population of Ireland. I wish you the best with the economy and all. A lot of people are hurting pretty bad. Like everywhere else, a few sleazeballs got the goldmine while the rest of the state got the shaft.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
These endless attacks on California from out-of-state posters doesn't occur in the other states forums. It feels like some people absolutely hate San Francisco\ LA\ San Diego\ all of California & all Californians!
It happens in the Seattle forum, more so than the San Diego one.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
As an occasional troll on California topics, I weigh in primarily when I think the locals are throwing their weight around (the Arizona issue) and basking in their own self-importance, or their tool politicians are pandering as they fingerwag at other states. Other than that, Californians are no better or worse than anyone else. With 38 million people, no stereotype could possibly be meaningful. You are talking about a state with ten times the population of Ireland. I wish you the best with the economy and all. A lot of people are hurting pretty bad. Like everywhere else, a few sleazeballs got the goldmine while the rest of the state got the shaft.
Oh, Fiddle, you're hardly a troll. A troll doesn't give well thought out opinions or ask them, they just say nasty horrid things, start fights and stand by and watch the carnage.

For my money, trolls are bad, but just as bad as the people that are unabashed cheerleaders who can't abide anyone saying anything negative about any given area and will fight to the death when you do.

There's good and bad every where. No one place is heaven on earth -- at least not heaven on earth for everyone. And both trolls and cheerleaders don't bring much discussion to the table...

Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 AM

157 posts, read 332,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh, Fiddle, you're hardly a troll. A troll doesn't give well thought out opinions or ask them, they just say nasty horrid things, start fights and stand by and watch the carnage.

For my money, trolls are bad, but just as bad as the people that are unabashed cheerleaders who can't abide anyone saying anything negative about any given area and will fight to the death when you do.

There's good and bad every where. No one place is heaven on earth -- at least not heaven on earth for everyone. And both trolls and cheerleaders don't bring much discussion to the table...
So true!!! +1! I give you 3 if I could There is no perfect place to please everyone in the population. Someone will always find something not to like.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
I agree, there are a ton of trolls lately.

Some recent gems:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMensha
You can get an FHA loan and pay more than 3.5% down. The advantage of an FHA loan is that there is no Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) which should lower your monthly payment. Shop around, for the best rate.
Obviously false. Probably flame baiting, if not ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown
The reason the A's generate so little now is becuase they can't draw an audience. IF they are pulling in 30K + per game with a new stadium that will bring in plenty of revenue. I love sports and having a sports team here. You obviously don't, that's your choice, but to me and other fans, paying a few more dollars in taxes is not a big deal to have a major sports team here.

It's a chain reaction and would rejuvenate Jack London square & Oakland, create jobs, and pay for itself in a few years.
Obviously false. More flame baiting, but also ignorance.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
There's one right now on this thread about SF Bay Area having the most hybrids. The trolls don't even stay on topic. Link: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...rid-car-2.html

Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
"Yesssssssss" says Golum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland