Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 PM

25 posts, read 98,148 times

Advertisements

I have a really good Job opportunity in SF. While I have visited a number of times and really like the city, I have no idea where I would live and I am looking for some advice. Here is some info about me and the job.

Job
* The job is located in Downtown SF, right next to AT&T park

Me
* Early thirties, married, looking to start a family in the next 1 - 3 years
* Really like the outdoors
* not too into the bar scene but we do enjoy restaurants, cafes, and having a drink from time to time.
* Looking to find a place where we can establish roots for the next 5+ years

What we are looking for in a neighborhood

* In the short term we will rent. We can afford $2500 - $3000 per month and would like to find something with 2 -3 bedrooms and a garage (little backyard would be nice but not required)
* In the longer term we would like to buy in the area we are renting
* Safe area (see just about to start a family)
* good schools
* cafe's / restaurants within walking distance
* pet / dog friendly areas (see also quick access to parks)
* A maximum commute (car or public transport) of about 30 minutes
* access to public transportation is a plus

that's about it... we are open to being in the city or in the burbs. However we are pretty firm about the commute being 30 minutes or less

thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Anywhere else!

Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM

wow.... um... ok. Not sure what i said to get that response

Old 05-08-2010, 04:17 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,506 times
Edited because I read the last sentence of your post after posting - there are lots of areas in 30 minute range of the city, do you have an area of which area you might be looking for (North Bay, South Bay, East Bay, etc)? Would you stay there for awhile, or would you be open to move? Some places may be great for young kids, but not as great for high schools, and vice versa.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenine View Post
wow.... um... ok. Not sure what i said to get that response
It wasn't you. It's me being tongue-in-cheek contrary. That's all.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Edited because I read the last sentence of your post after posting - there are lots of areas in 30 minute range of the city, do you have an area of which area you might be looking for (North Bay, South Bay, East Bay, etc)? Would you stay there for awhile, or would you be open to move? Some places may be great for young kids, but not as great for high schools, and vice versa.
After doing a little bit of reading I think my areas of interest would be as follows.

1. North Bay (sounds right up my alley but am curious about the commute)
2. The City (I am open to actually living in SF)
3. East Bay
4. South Bay

With regards to moving, that is definitely an option at some point. Right now we are planning for at least the next 5 years but would be open to move after that.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 AM

74 posts, read 149,670 times
In terms of the East Bay, it sounds the area near Solano in Albany/North Berkeley would be the best fit. It's an easy commute via BART, walkable to shops/cafes, dog friendly, with a number of great off leash options nearby (Point Isabel, Cesar Chavez and Tilden Parks). It's not hipster trendy, but more "I used to be hip, but now I'm making money and living comfortably" trendy. It might be hard to find a place to rent though, especially with a dog.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenine View Post
After doing a little bit of reading I think my areas of interest would be as follows.

1. North Bay (sounds right up my alley but am curious about the commute)
2. The City (I am open to actually living in SF)
3. East Bay
4. South Bay

With regards to moving, that is definitely an option at some point. Right now we are planning for at least the next 5 years but would be open to move after that.
For long-term, I'd suggest Burlingame on the Peninsula or Lafayette in the East Bay - nice downtowns with shops and restaurants, good schools, lots of similar young couples starting families.

Other options would be Montclair in Oakland - cute downtown area with shops and good elementary schools, not as sure about the high schools though. In the North Bay, there's not a lot within 30 minutes of the city - Sausalito is close, and very nice, but not that lively. San Rafael may be longer than 30 minutes; 101/GG bridge traffic can be unpredictable, but it has a very bustling little downtown, almost too bustling at times. Belmont or San Carlos on the Peninsula are also options. In the city itself, you could check out some of the quieter neighborhoods - Pacific Heights or the Presidio. You may also want to look into Orinda, has a BART station and is close to Berkeley/lots of parks, though downtown is on the sleepier side.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,728,065 times
I would go with anything on the peninsula, such as Millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont or San Carlos - all strictly suburbia. Caltrain caltrain.com - General Info: System Map goes from all these towns into SF. The SF Caltrain station is 2 blocks from AT&T park. You don't want to drive into the city as parking is very difficult and/or expensive. Caltrain offers monthly passes for unlimited rides which is cheaper than paying for each ride.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
In the city I love the Richmond for families (and with easy access to Golden Gate Park and the Presidio -- very kid and dog friendly!), but you might want to be on the side of town closer to your work. Noe Valley is very popular with the stroller crowd; Bernal Heights is a little cheaper but also kid-friendly, and both are much closer to work.

The one thing to note about SF Public Schools, although this might not be the case by the time you have kids old enough to attend, is that they currently have a very complicated assignment/lottery system. I believe they're working to change it to make it a little more family-friendly, or at least make it more neighborhood-school friendly. Still, there are many very good schools in the city, and many parents are choosing to actually stay in the city to raise kids. Those who can afford it, anyway, especially if you want to buy.

I think if I were you I'd stick with a closer-in city neighborhood for now, and if down the road you want to buy then move then. I do understand the wanting to put down roots thing, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland