Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons why I chose to make SF my home is that it seems easier to stay in shape and eat healthy here. I have been living here for 3 months now and have lost 5-7 pounds without too much effort. According to these statistics on adult obesity in California, SF has a 16% obesity rate compared to 20% for Los Angeles and 22% for San Diego (which is where I just moved from). stats here Here are the reasons why I think SF makes it easier to stay fit:

1. more healthy heating options - restaurants usually offer healthier versions of their entrees using white meat instead of red meat and more options for vegetarians, vegans, and organics. most entrees at restaurants seem less greasy than can be found elsewhere and portions are not as huge. less fast food chains and more mom and pop, cafe, bistro type of restaurants.

2. a less car dependent lifestyle - promotes walking which helps to keep metabolism up and burn calories. also biking is easier with more bike lanes being put in. more people doing more of these things makes it easier to join in and not feel like the only dork riding around on his 80's bicycle.

3. excellent air quality - i think this isn't directly related to obesity, or maybe it is... it is easier to breath less smoggy, fresher air and maybe that allows people to endure longer doing physical activities. SF is known to have a high level of air quality and that does wonders for complexion too.

4. overall active lifestyle - there are lots of beautiful and scenic places for jogging, biking, and outdoor activities. lots of festivals and events regularly going on which get people off their couches and out and about for more active lifestyles.

5. easy access to grocery stores and farmers markets which sell healthy food products - trader joes is not but 1.2 miles from where i live, whole foods even less than that. it is easy to bike over and pick up some organic fruit, a box of heart-healthy trader joes oatmeal, cereal containing flax and omega-3s, whole wheat bread- all these help comprise a healthier diet which in turn makes it easier to digest food, maintain metabolism, and keeps the weight down.

My experience has been that it easier to stay fit in SF. Just going around you can visibly see there are less obese people than in San Diego or Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
According to these statistics on adult obesity in California, SF has a 16% obesity rate compared to 20% for Los Angeles and 22% for San Diego (which is where I just moved from). stats here
These are county statistics which are meaningless for comparison purposes. San Diego County is 4200 sq. mi. and includes every community in the area like Oceanside,Fallbrook and Alpine. SF County is only 46.7 sq. mi. and includes the city of SF only. Toss in places like Concord,Vacaville and Fairfield and the SF stats will probably average out to a similar number.

Quote:

5. easy access to grocery stores and farmers markets which sell healthy food products - trader joes is not but 1.2 miles from where i live, whole foods even less than that. it is easy to bike over and pick up some organic fruit, a box of heart-healthy trader joes oatmeal, cereal containing flax and omega-3s, whole wheat bread- all these help comprise a healthier diet which in turn makes it easier to digest food, maintain metabolism, and keeps the weight down.

My experience has been that it easier to stay fit in SF. Just going around you can visibly see there are less obese people than in San Diego or Los Angeles.
San Diego has a much,much better selection of health food stores than SF. Of course they have Whole Foods and Trader's Joes just like SF and many other places. In addition they have the fabulous Henry's Farmers Markets,nothing like that in SF. San Diego also has Jimbos Health Food stores which are fantastic. New Leaf Community Markets may be comparable but they are based in Santa Cruz and the nearest one to SF is in Half Moon Bay. SF has Rainbow Grocery and San Diego has People's Organic Coop,these are probably a toss up with the preference going to People's since they have a cafe and are in Ocean Beach. Rainbow is almost under a freeway overpass,not the healthiest spot for an organic store.

Last edited by capoeira; 05-13-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,852 times
Not sure about the stats and all, but I know I've lost weight since moving here. About 12 pounds. It's because I'm more active and I walk everywhere, which I love. Walkability is one of the best things about living in a dense city in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Not sure about the stats and all, but I know I've lost weight since moving here. About 12 pounds. It's because I'm more active and I walk everywhere, which I love. Walkability is one of the best things about living in a dense city in my opinion.
Wow, nice that you lost 12 pounds! What time frame did this occur? I hope I can lose that much too as time goes on.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
...ok.

You don't need to live in a particular city to get fit. Its all about diet and a decent amount of exercise. Yea, you will walk more in S.F. but if your breakfast consist of donuts, lattes, and a croissant...you will remain fat no matter what.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
These are county statistics which are meaningless for comparison purposes. San Diego County is 4200 sq. mi. and includes every community in the area like Oceanside,Fallbrook and Alpine. SF County is only 46.7 sq. mi. and includes the city of SF only. Toss in places like Concord,Vacaville and Fairfield and the SF stats will probably average out to a similar number.

San Diego has a much,much better selection of health food stores than SF. Of course they have Whole Foods and Trader's Joes just like SF and many other places. In addition they have the fabulous Henry's Farmers Markets,nothing like that in SF. San Diego also has Jimbos Health Food stores which are fantastic. New Leaf Community Markets may be comparable but they are based in Santa Cruz and the nearest one to SF is in Half Moon Bay. SF has Rainbow Grocery and San Diego has People's Organic Coop,these are probably a toss up with the preference going to People's since they have a cafe and are in Ocean Beach. Rainbow is almost under a freeway overpass,not the healthiest spot for an organic store.
I used to love shopping at Henry's Farmers Market too when I lived in San Diego. Too bad they don't have it here. I am now enjoying the local weekly community farmers market that is a 5 minute walk from my home in addition to the usual Trader Joes and Whole Foods which are about 20 minutes walk from my home.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Wow, nice that you lost 12 pounds! What time frame did this occur? I hope I can lose that much too as time goes on.
Thanks! I've been here about 6 months now.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
...ok.

You don't need to live in a particular city to get fit. Its all about diet and a decent amount of exercise. Yea, you will walk more in S.F. but if your breakfast consist of donuts, lattes, and a croissant...you will remain fat no matter what.
Very true. All I'm saying is that SF makes it easier to be active. If I want to go do something, I walk there. I don't get in a car and drive because I don't need to. It's just a different lifestyle, one that I prefer, and being in better shape is an added plus.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
...ok.

Yes, someone like that would remain fat but they would still be less fat than if they were living in a city where they would have to drive everywhere. Walking daily can help a lot with keeping the metabolism rate up in addition to burning calories. SF makes it easy to walk more and drive less.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:09 AM

153 posts, read 381,742 times
The Fattest Cities - MSN Health & Fitness - Weight Loss (http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100257787 - broken link)
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 25 Skinniest

SF seems to be one of the fittest, if not the fittest city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland