Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
You consider earthquakes to be a treat? Very odd.

How long have you lived on Earth? Ever look at those inky folded-up things called "newspapers?" They often clue people in when there's been a bad natural disaster. Maybe if you try moving into society and renounce your cave dwelling you can get caught up on how regular "bad earthquakes" occur in San Francisco.

Oh but don't worry about Portola Valley. Its the one town that's completely immune to quakes. They just roll right along around its borders and wreak havoc on its neighbors like Woodside and Los Altos Hills. Stay away from those two b/c its residents have about 8 of their homes flattened per week.

A few other responses to your post:
-The crime in the Bay Area is mostly concentrated in Portola Valley and our other affluent areas, so you should probably STAY AWAY. But if you do come out this way, try North Richmond. Its got a really nice family vibe and they're generally welcoming to strangers.

-Yep, everyone takes drugs here, priests and surgeons alike. Soccer moms are among the heaviest users, which actually drives our street value of cocaine through the roof. Even though its been legalized. One problem is our police keep pulling over people at random and strip searching them b/c many of the cops are heavy LSD users. One of the strangest sights here are our SPCA's and veterinarians; they commonly use "angel dust," or PCP, and they can be really aggressive if you want to get your pet taken care of. So beware.

-Yes, there's almost nothing but gay people here. Its awful. I don't even know how our population keeps increasing considering we have a 75%+ gay population; I guess the straights, or "breeders" as we're called, are just very fertile and active. Of course our population is also 60% homeless while at the same time 90% yuppie, 85% white and 70% Chinese, so go figure. Our percentages are weird out here. It must be all the liberal hippie beatniks that take our census.

-And just an added bonus, to give some insight provided by transplants who don't actually live here (go figure), everyone in SF is depressed and looks like a zombie. Except for the gay homeless hippie Chinese and White druggie yuppies who count for 450% or so of our population. But aside from them we look like the walking dead. Oh and SF is built like a 3rd world country too.

Okay I've replied to you regarding some of our "problems" - particularly the yucky gays...EEEWWWWWWW. They are SUCH a problem. When you come here and run into them you should tell them that God doesn't love them for doing what they do. Maybe that'll turn things around and fix the "problem."

So, the good things about SF? Rice-a-roni. Its amazing, and its the only thing we're known for far and wide. Oh and there's a couple cool hills.

But our weather here is terrible. People from Texas get hypothermia when they experience our cold, cold, cold weather (in the summer no less!), and it never gets above 25 degrees year round. The last time SF saw sunlight was in the late 1960's around the "Summer of Love." But that's when it became mandatory for SF's residents to become drug users, so no one remembers anyway.

I just about passed out after reading this. One of the best responses I've seen to this type of post yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Unfortunately, LA is no safer from earthquakes than the Bay Area. Both regions have a network of active fault lines that can and have produced violent earthquakes but the last major quake in the Bay Area was over 20 yrs ago. Aside from a very strong earthquake in the early 1800's the worst earthquake in California was in 1906 and did do a lot of damage. But building codes are very strict in California and the kind of earthquake that devastated Haiti this year would never cause such destruction in California.
Don't forget the one in the mid-1800's too. Until 1906 it was known as the great SF quake. 1864 I believe is when it was.

And yes no place in California is truly safe from earthquakes. Some are just more prone than others:

La Basin
SF Bay Area
Imperial/Cochella Valley
Owens Valley

those are the most seismically active but as cal sur said, the state is criss crossed by faults.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:06 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:

How long have you lived on Earth? Ever look at those inky folded-up things called "newspapers?" They often clue people in when there's been a bad natural disaster. Maybe if you try moving into society and renounce your cave dwelling you can get caught up on how regular "bad earthquakes" occur in San Francisco.

Oh but don't worry about Portola Valley. Its the one town that's completely immune to quakes. They just roll right along around its borders and wreak havoc on its neighbors like Woodside and Los Altos Hills. Stay away from those two b/c its residents have about 8 of their homes flattened per week.

-The crime in the Bay Area is mostly concentrated in Portola Valley and our other affluent areas, so you should probably STAY AWAY. But if you do come out this way, try North Richmond. Its got a really nice family vibe and they're generally welcoming to strangers.

-Yep, everyone takes drugs here, priests and surgeons alike. Soccer moms are among the heaviest users, which actually drives our street value of cocaine through the roof. Even though its been legalized. One problem is our police keep pulling over people at random and strip searching them b/c many of the cops are heavy LSD users. One of the strangest sights here are our SPCA's and veterinarians; they commonly use "angel dust," or PCP, and they can be really aggressive if you want to get your pet taken care of. So beware.

-Yes, there's almost nothing but gay people here. Its awful. I don't even know how our population keeps increasing considering we have a 75%+ gay population; I guess the straights, or "breeders" as we're called, are just very fertile and active. Of course our population is also 60% homeless while at the same time 90% yuppie, 85% white and 70% Chinese, so go figure. Our percentages are weird out here. It must be all the liberal hippie beatniks that take our census.

-And just an added bonus, to give some insight provided by transplants who don't actually live here (go figure), everyone in SF is depressed and looks like a zombie. Except for the gay homeless hippie Chinese and White druggie yuppies who count for 450% or so of our population. But aside from them we look like the walking dead. Oh and SF is built like a 3rd world country too.

Okay I've replied to you regarding some of our "problems" - particularly the yucky gays...EEEWWWWWWW. They are SUCH a problem. When you come here and run into them you should tell them that God doesn't love them for doing what they do. Maybe that'll turn things around and fix the "problem."

So, the good things about SF? Rice-a-roni. Its amazing, and its the only thing we're known for far and wide. Oh and there's a couple cool hills.

But our weather here is terrible. People from Texas get hypothermia when they experience our cold, cold, cold weather (in the summer no less!), and it never gets above 25 degrees year round. The last time SF saw sunlight was in the late 1960's around the "Summer of Love." But that's when it became mandatory for SF's residents to become drug users, so no one remembers anyway.
Oh, c'mon, give the kid a break. There are lots of communities in the U.S. with lots less crime than SFO and if you can't ask whatever questions you have, here, where can you ask them? Don't be so snarky...

Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,961 times
Quote:

Mad respect, that was an absolute riot to read.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Oh, c'mon, give the kid a break. There are lots of communities in the U.S. with lots less crime than SFO and if you can't ask whatever questions you have, here, where can you ask them? Don't be so snarky...
I'm just kinda over all the endless trolling that has been plaguing this forum for quite some time now, and the OP reeked of it. Does EVERYONE take drugs? C'mon. Are there a lot of gays here? Who doesn't know the answer to that? And then referring to gays as a "problem." That post was completely idiotic and appeared to me to not be at all well-intentioned. IMO it deserved every bit of that snarkiness and then some.

The crime point could have been an honest question in itself and I wouldn't have reacted like that if it were. But coupled with the other questions it looked more to me like it was only brought up to stir the pot.

Last edited by jman650; 05-31-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Mad respect, that was an absolute riot to read.
Haha thanks!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 PM

230 posts, read 623,534 times
That's quite a post you've written. Hmmmm.....

Regarding earthquakes: I'm not sure where you're moving from, did someone mention Texas? "Safe from earthquakes." Do you mean safe as in you'd never feel them? Or do you mean safe as in they won't kill you? Big difference. Earthquakes happen, so if you want to avoid them, then California is not the place for you. If you are worried about being harmed by one, I have to say that I lived in California for 44 years and went through many of them, some huge ones, and never got hurt. Never known anyone who got hurt in an earthquake. I'd take one of those over a tornado or flood any day. No contest.

The other questions you've asked seem a bit... pointed. It's as if you don't like the Bay area already, it's as if you have a stereotype in your mind and you're asking people to disprove it.

If gays are a problem for you (as you included them in the problem category for some strange reason,) then you'd want to stay out of big cities in general, and especially areas where people are progressive, and have open minds.

Are you being forced to move to the Bay area? Just curious if you're being transferred, because it just seems like your heart isn't in it.

And yes, some people find the weather in San Francisco to be too chilly and foggy for their taste. And yes, there is crime (it's a big city.) And no, not EVERYONE is on drugs.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:07 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:
I'm just kinda over all the endless trolling that has been plaguing this forum for quite some time now, and the OP reeked of it. Does EVERYONE take drugs? C'mon. Are there a lot of gays here? Who doesn't know the answer to that? And then referring to gays as a "problem." That post was completely idiotic and appeared to me to not be at all well-intentioned. IMO it deserved every bit of that snarkiness and then some.

The crime point could have been an honest question in itself and I wouldn't have reacted like that if it were. But coupled with the other questions it looked more to me like it was only brought up to stir the pot.
Hmmmmm. Yeah, maybe you're right. OP hasn't been back. Guess I just pictured some young, fresh faced kid from Mayberry asking questions about the "big city!" I'm gullible I guess.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Hmmmmm. Yeah, maybe you're right. OP hasn't been back. Guess I just pictured some young, fresh faced kid from Mayberry asking questions about the "big city!" I'm gullible I guess.
Naw, you were just operating as though people were simply asking questions, whereas I'm pretty jaded after having spent a good amount of time in this forum. Nothing wrong with seeing the good in people.

I just wish the negativity of some wasn't so abundant and we could all just take simple, semi-ignorant questions such as these from the OP at face value. You had the mindset that I wish everyone could have. But unfortunately the troll bombardment has turned this into a place where you can pretty much just assume the worst.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM

92 posts, read 368,049 times
Ok the title was a typo
Can a mod please change that
Also, I didnt mean to say homosexuality is a problem
One of my best friends is gay
Also, the other two things(drugs and crime) well I definately dont take that back
They are two things I just hate
and I dont want to go to a place with a reputation for these
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland