Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times

Advertisements

I visited SF back in 2002, immensely enjoyed my stay, and made the decision that I wanted to live in SF someday. After many years, I finally made the move to SF and arrived in February of this year. I can tell the city has changed since when I visited in 02, but I cannot put my finger on exactly how. Although it seems a little different from before, I still love this city, am greatly enjoying it, and already feel at home.

I am interesting in getting your thoughts on how SF has changed and what you think SF will be like in the next 10 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Hey mini, long time no see around here.

I cannot quite put my finger on it either. I think there are a lot more transplants now than there used to be. This has perhaps changed the vibe in the city a bit. I also noticed this in Berkeley when I go back.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hey mini, long time no see around here.

I cannot quite put my finger on it either. I think there are a lot more transplants now than there used to be. This has perhaps changed the vibe in the city a bit. I also noticed this in Berkeley when I go back.
Hi Gentoo! Nice to see your post. Yeah, it does seem quite transplant-ish here. I wasn't sure if it was like that before- but the vibe does seem a little different than back in the early 00s. I was over on Union Street for the festival the other day and for a few moments, I didn't feel like I was in SF. There were lots of people who fit the Marina stereotype that people talk about on here- they didn't seem like SF natives, they were quite rowdy and intoxicated, seemed quite the opposite of what I would think of as the SF personality. And they actually kind of reminded me of SD!!

That was just for that day over on that part of town at that event, but I like where I am staying in SOMA and I think it still has much of that vibe to it that I liked back when I visited.

I haven't had a chance to explore Berkeley yet. Guess more and more young people want to move to the city. Here is an article I thought was interesting:

Bright Flight: Affluent Leaving Suburbs, Moving to Cities - The Juggle - WSJ

Last edited by mini_cute; 06-07-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
There were lots of people who fit the Marina stereotype that people talk about on here- they didn't seem like SF natives, they were quite rowdy and intoxicated, seemed quite the opposite of what I would think of as the SF personality. And they actually kind of reminded me of SD!!
It does of have that SD type feeling now which is why I don't like SF as much as I used to. I still like it but not as much as before.

Yeah when you can, check out Berkeley. The city does still seem to have this energetic pulse especially at night in the downtown area but I have no idea where that comes from. There's not much going on there.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I was over on Union Street for the festival the other day and for a few moments, I didn't feel like I was in SF. There were lots of people who fit the Marina stereotype that people talk about on here- they didn't seem like SF natives, they were quite rowdy and intoxicated, seemed quite the opposite of what I would think of as the SF personality.
I completely agree with you! The people over there were dressed attractively, didn't smell bad, there were very friendly/welcoming and looked like they were having a good time. The vibe was very positive and high energy! And yes they were intoxicated as opposed to being high and wandering around like a zombie. For me it was a refreshing change!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I completely agree with you! The people over there were dressed attractively, didn't smell bad, there were very friendly/welcoming and looked like they were having a good time. The vibe was very positive and high energy! And yes they were intoxicated as opposed to being high and wandering around like a zombie. For me it was a refreshing change!
Long live the trolls

Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Long live the trolls
Why the animosity Gentoo?? At least I hope you will agree that Marina is one of the more civilized neighborhoods in SF where normal people live.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Why the animosity Gentoo?? At least I hope you will agree that Marina is one of the more civilized neighborhoods in SF where normal people live.
Why the animosity?

Quote:
where normal people live
That's why

Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
That is an interesting hobby to have- city data troll...

Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Why the animosity?

That's why
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That clown asked "why the animosity??" The biggest jerkoff to ever troll the SF forum is taken aback by someone responding to his comments negatively? LOLOLOL woooooooww what a sad, sad case that dude is! I hate to give him credit for anything, but he really does deserve the crown for the longest reign in the SF forum of being the least popular dude here. I pray he never procreates!

And LOL @ the Marina of all places being where he considers the people to be "normal." That says a lot about what type of addition this clown is to SF, if he's ever even been here yet in reality. (I'm still not convinced one way or another - on the one hand he only knows what can be read online and makes errors left and right, and on the other he lies and exaggerates ceaselessly, but could possibly be out here and just choosing to ignore the truth. Either way his posts are 99% bogus.) The soulless yuppies who have infested our once-awesome city (its still pretty great, but not anywhere near the level it used to be IMO) embody most of what I detest about the current state of the City. This negative douche lord considering that type to be "normal" fully highlights why he clashes with everyone here. Him and HSW should hook up and grab some drinks surrounded by their fellow plastic brethren at Santana Row so they can swap retarded inaccuracies about SF LOL.

Last edited by jman650; 06-08-2010 at 02:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland