Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:17 PM

327 posts, read 962,824 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is an age old thread topic, but we're considering a move from Seattle to the silicon valley area. Work will most likely be in Mountain View, but we're completely unfamiliar with the area and wanted to get some idea of where do families of SV software techies live and what are the commutes like? I did a quick look on redfin for home prices, and there were practically zero 4 bed/3 bath homes under 700K near and around Mountain View. I'm assuming if you actually want to own a home off of a software engineer and small-firm lawyers salary, you're commuting from somewhere else or you're renting. We'll be visiting in a few months and just wanted to get a ball-park idea of where we should be looking at in terms of housing with a commute time that is under 45 minutes. We're looking for excellent schools, a safe & family friendly suburb with good amenities. Any recommendation or comments from other people who have made the Seattle to SV move would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
Sorry if this is an age old thread topic, but we're considering a move from Seattle to the silicon valley area. Work will most likely be in Mountain View, but we're completely unfamiliar with the area and wanted to get some idea of where do families of SV software techies live and what are the commutes like? I did a quick look on redfin for home prices, and there were practically zero 4 bed/3 bath homes under 700K near and around Mountain View. I'm assuming if you actually want to own a home off of a software engineer and small-firm lawyers salary, you're commuting from somewhere else or you're renting. We'll be visiting in a few months and just wanted to get a ball-park idea of where we should be looking at in terms of housing with a commute time that is under 45 minutes. We're looking for excellent schools, a safe & family friendly suburb with good amenities. Any recommendation or comments from other people who have made the Seattle to SV move would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Well it sounds like you'll have more options that most. But even so, professional couples have to make major trade offs here that they wouldn't have to make in most other metro areas.

I'm not a homeowner myself, so can't advise you specifically. In general, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Milpitas, and San Jose would offer you somewhat cheaper options with still reasonable commutes (and I emphasize, somewhat cheaper, or maybe I should say less overpriced) Those areas may have some good, but not top notch school districts (although the Almaden Valley area in South San Jose comes very close to top notch...but it is also quite expensive, so same problem).

Most of Silicon Valley is pretty safe by large metro area standards. Even the bad areas of San Jose are pretty tame compared to bad areas in most big cities.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,236 times
I've lived in the SV all my life and have eyed Seattle as the next place for me.

That being, please give a comparison of the SV against Seattle shortly after you get here, while the impression's still fresh, and if I can get you to do it again, another comparison after you've been living and working here for 6+ months.

Interested in your perspective.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
please give a comparison of the SV against Seattle shortly after you get here
Hint: On your way up north, get a decent umbrella.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Hint: On your way up north, get a decent umbrella.
Most PNW locals don't use umbrellas. But that is a sure way to say look at at me, I'm from California.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
You will definately get less house for your money, even when compared to beautiful Seattle neighborhoods like West Queen Anne. The main question you'll have to ask is what benefits do you hope to gain? And what things are you willing to give up to get them?

IMO, Seattle is a much more beautiful city with incredible natural surroundings. But the weather, mainly lack of sun, is the thing that some get tired off. Still you won't be able to compare SJ to views like this:

A friend of mine from WA is looking for a way to get back home. But now as a CA home owner selling is not a very appealing proposition for him. So it will be a while until he can move his family back to the PNW.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-23-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM

224 posts, read 604,802 times
I had a friend that moved to Seattle, told me she loved the rain. Three months later, she is itching to get back.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM

42 posts, read 103,343 times
I'm not a homeowner, however have spent a bit of time looking at property prices. You won't find anything in Mountain View for under 700k, nor will you find anything you want to live in for that price at Cupertino, Palo Alto or Los Altos. I would imagine your best bet would be to look in Sunnyvale and Santa Clara.

The reality is prices are ridiculously stupid in this area, add in property tax and high state tax and you have to ask yourself what will you gain by the move?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM

332 posts, read 772,553 times
I think you'd be better off renting. Home prices have a long way to fall... Pretty much any community near Mountain View has what you are seeking in terms of safety, schools, etc.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToulaHawaiiBound View Post
I would imagine your best bet would be to look in Sunnyvale and Santa Clara.
I have to second this, as both cities, esp the former, are generally cleaner and more pleasant than the all-encompassing monster that is San Jose while having more of a feel like MW and PA. Most of SV and SC are a comfortable medium in nearly any respect.

In any case, the OP has chosen PA by default and for most, that is as unrealistic as wanting to move to NYC and choosing Manhattan by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose