Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times

Advertisements

craigslist.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritgirl View Post
I am a single 36 yr old female hairdresser (with a small dog), looking to relocate to California....I'm thinking San Jose area, been to SF and SJ once and Fell in LOVE with the weather!
I cannot take the steamy hot weather anymore in Houston Texas any longer!!!!
Im practiacally home bound because of the extreme heat and HUMIDITY!
I know the rents are crazy high, in Cali, but i gw up in NYC, and i survived there fine, albiet not in the greatest neigborhoods, (Bklyn) .....but they weren't super bad either!
Anyhow....
what are some ways to go about finding a room for rent in SJ, or surrounding neihborhoods?
In NY, one would look in local area/nehborhood newspapers....can any one help?
Thanks!
In SJ? Craigslist. In SF you might have more options but SJ is spread out so you can't easily walk the neighborhoods looking for "room for rent" signs.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
When I see a post like this (a new post to a thread that's been quiescent for over a year) I always think WHY ? The topic died a long time ago - let it rest in peace. Please.

Start a new thread for your question.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 PM

55 posts, read 79,157 times
I agree San Jose is a horribly lame city.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls211 View Post
Welcome back. We've really missed you!

Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
We agree we don't need horribly lame posters in our city.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
SJ gets a bad rap due to its proximity to SF. In terms of amenities, its probably on par with most midwestern cities (not SF/LA level, but not bad either). What makes it a bit worse (if you're single) is the predominance of techies, which skews the number of single guys vs women and creates a bit more of a "geeky" reputation. However, I'd say its a great place if you're married and looking to raise a family, if you have good jobs.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Please let this horribly lame thread die the death it deserves.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Oh yay, another new poster here to whine and complain about how miserable they have it.

Who said everybody likes SJ anyways? Most people on these forums (yourself included) complain about it.

Long time residents like myself accept it for what it is: A reasonably safe, "medium-feeling" city set in a scenic natural setting with great weather and is in great proximity to many other great places. People get hung up on this "10th largest city in the U.S." crap and assume it's supposed to be this world class city. For a big city, I find SJ quite pleasant. It's crappy areas aren't nearly as crappy as crappy areas in other big cities and there are actually quite a few very nice places to live. Many people just pass through and what they see from driving along 101 or 880 (to name two of the most unscenic drives through SJ) gives them the impression that all of the city is ugly sprawl.

I'm not going to oversell the city like Durf does...it's far from the 3rd funnest city in the U.S. That's absurd. Actually, one of the things about SJ that's appealing to me is that it's understated and is not a tourist attraction. If you have the means to afford living in a good neighborhood, than you can be very happy here. I grew up in the South Bay and had a great childhood, so part of my bias may just be that I didn't have a bad experience living here.

I find it quite ironic that many of the people who complain about life in the South Bay are transplants. For the most part, they are the ones who created the ridiculous housing costs for the rest of us natives and then they complain about it. My parents have a $600/month house payment and they have a hard time understanding when I tell them that my wife and I plan to leave the area when we're ready to purchase a home.

Oh, and for the record, there are many more expensive places in the Bay Area to live than SJ. SJ actually has more options for affordable housing, compared to many other parts of the Bay Area, just due to its size.

But, we have little saigon!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
But, we have little saigon!
We got real good pho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose