Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM

49 posts, read 98,049 times

Advertisements

Hello - My husband and I may have an opportunity to relocate to the South Bay-Silicon Valley area. We are researching the area right now. We would be moving from the Chicago area - originally from the Northeast area (New England). Questions: what are following areas like: Los Altos, Los Gatos and in between these areas. Housing is indeed more costly and smaller plots of land than what we are used to. We would be looking for great schools (middle school age & elementary aged children) - we would like a nice, executive style subdivision. Ideally 4 bedrooms in a home (I am finding lots of 3 bedrooms), possibly a pool but not a deal breaker. Nice town community with amenities close by. We are drawn to Los Altos, Los Gatos, Mountainview. Saratoga? Any and all insight would be great! We plan to take a trip out to explore the area (SV-SF) in early March. Researchung right now. Have no idea what to expect. We have been to CA before but I personally have not been to the SV-South Bay area or SF for that matter. Thank you - overwhelmed at where to research to start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 PM

148 posts, read 571,756 times
Well Los Altos,Los Gatos, and Saratoga are three of the most expensive places to live in the Bay Area.But if you can afford it they are all beautiful clean towns with nice schools and nice downtowns.Los Gatos and Saratoga are next to each other and south of San Jose.Los Altos and Mountain View are north of San jose.I
don't know where your husband is working so I can't tell you about the commute.Mountain View is definitely the more affordable of the four and is also nice in my opinion.You should definitely visit first because this place is a lot different than N.E. or Chicago.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Well, if you are already aware that you'll be spending over 1 million dollars on a 3 or 4 bedroom home, then all those areas are very nice.

San Jose city is one of the safest cities of its size in the nation, and there are plenty of nice areas on the west side (Willow Glen, Almaden Valley) that you may want to look into. Willow Glen has a nice little commercial strip with mostly non-chain establishments. The housing in that area is more unique and attractive, and less cookie cutter suburbia.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 PM

thank you for this info! yes am aware it will be more than north of 1M for homes in the above mentioned area. I am curious how one would look at the homes in the Wiilow Glen section of SJ. Is SJ very pockety? We want more of a community feel, prefer character vs. cookie cutter. Would want to see trees vs. wide open cookie cutter subdivison too. GOOD schools (public) are a must! Like a nice community feel. Which of the areas above has a nice downtown to it? Coffee shops? cute stores? etc....nice parks....community events, farmer's market's... thanks so much.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:09 PM

148 posts, read 571,756 times
You might like Palo Alto.It's like a bigger version of Los Gatos and has a nice clean downtown.It's about 20 minutes north of San Jose and has a good school system.I think from what you're describing of your preferences this would be the place you would like the most.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM

We definately want a suburb vs. a city feel - is Palo Alto a city set up? I picture it to be, larger, busier etc.... What is Mountainview like? Cupertino? On realtor.com we seemed to have found the houses to our liking in Los Altos and Los Gatos. Again this is sight unseen - do not know about these areas other than research, etc... across the board it all looks expensive compared to other parts of the U.S.
Thanks again - all information is very helpful!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Willow Glen, Naglee Park, Rosegarden are the areas to look at in San Jose, and for your purposes (community, downtown, farmers' markets), WG would be it. Los Gatos would also serve the purpose well.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM

264 posts, read 831,565 times
Willow Glen has nice not-cookie cutter areas/streets/homes, but I'd look elsewhere if you are looking for the best of schools--I'm not saying they are bad at all, but if you have the money, Saratoga and Los Gatos would be better bets. The downtown Willow Glen area seems to be kinda quiet and lacking a real vibe or character to it...Los Gatos and Saratoga offer more downtown character IMO.

From what you are writing, it sounds like Los Gatos would be a good fit for you...Saratoga is great too, but a bit more sleepy than Los Gatos in terms of cafes and a slightly lively/cute downtown area. Saratoga has some large lots and is more dense with trees (bonus for some) and is fairly bike friendly. It has a more spread out and private feel to it. Although, most of Saratoga has a less pretentious feel than Los Gatos...which seems to give off more of a "hey-look-at-me-I-have-money" vibe to it...For Los Gatos--the lots close to downtown are closer together (smaller lots), but not so cookie cutter (cute remodeled Victorian / cottage / vintage type homes), which gives off the feeling of "you can get to know your neighbors"...whereas Saratoga lots are spread apart and more private from one house to the next.

I'd say Los Gatos is your best bet. I'd also take a drive up 280 and check out Los Altos and other towns along 280. Beautiful drive up that way, even if the large lots and spread out homes isn't your thing.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ak View Post
We definately want a suburb vs. a city feel - is Palo Alto a city set up? I picture it to be, larger, busier etc.... What is Mountainview like? Cupertino? On realtor.com we seemed to have found the houses to our liking in Los Altos and Los Gatos. Again this is sight unseen - do not know about these areas other than research, etc... across the board it all looks expensive compared to other parts of the U.S.
Thanks again - all information is very helpful!
Compared to Chicago, I think only San Francisco will really give you a city feel.

Palo Alto has more of a down town than Menlo Park or Los Gatos, certainly, but definitely not large. It only has about 60,000 residents.

If you really want the ultimate in very nice suburban living with excellent schools, then I would suggest you look into Menlo Park. My brother lives there, very nice, very affluent, excellent public schools.

San Jose has sections that are pockety since the city usurped communities as it expanded.

Willow Glen is a bit older, so lots of (large) tree lined streets, with a fair bit of variety amongst the houses. For now you could just take a virtual tour via google maps.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 AM

thank you very much for all the info here. Tell me please - big difference in weather b/w Los Gatos and Los Altos? Also I have to ask....do you worry about earthquakes living in CA or it is just something you get used to living there? I have to be honest that does scare me a bit. Thoughts?
Schools - who do you think has a better school system: Los Gatos or Los Altos?
Also - do you have to be concerned with a lot of "gang" activity in these areas? I have read about gangs in schools etc...again, this is a new concept right along with earthquakes. Thanks in advance for any insight here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose