Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 13,580 times

Advertisements

I am going to relocate from East coast to San Jose area soon. My company will be located in Milpitas not far from Ranch Market. I've spend sometime to get familiar with the surrounding area to see where should I rent an apartment. So far I've identified several area that I consider safe and close to work - Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Campbell, and maybe Willow Glen.

My planned budget for an apartment is $1650 - could be a real large one bedroom (>750sf) or a 2br/1b. I could go a little higher but I prefer to stay in this range so I can save for future house purchase. I am downsizing from a 3 bedroom house so it will be hard to fit in a small 1br. Other thing to consider is that I am single female in my late 30s. I don't like clubbing or bar hoping. I would prefer a nice walk in the neighborhood after dinner and go out hiking or participate other activities during the weekend. On the other hand, I also like to be able to meet similar age group people so I can potentially develop my LTR.

So far I really like Campbell - some of the apartment complexes (Sedona Lane, River Walk etc) on the S. Bascom Ave. are large and got good ratings on Apartment Ratings. They are not far from Milpitas, a straight 11-13 miles on 880 will get me to work and the rent cost is reasonable. Question is, 1) is 880 north a hell during commute time? 2) am I missing the social life by choosing to live in Campbell? 3) is this area good and safe area to live?

Sunnyvale and Mountain View seem to be a little more expensive and most apartments are smaller. Do they worth the extra cost? Would I have a better social life living here? Would the commute to Milpitas better from those area?

It's hard to figure out the area on map without actually being there. Thanks you all for your helpful input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Honestly there isn't a whole lot different about them. They are all very nice, bland suburbs with a cool downtown area.

Test the commute from all three areas during rush hour and see which one you can handle most.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:37 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,241 times
The commute from Mountain View or Sunnyvale to Milpitas will be easier than the commute from Campbell. From a budget standpoint though, you'll probably spend less for an apartment in Campbell. The commute from Campbell to Milpitas wouldn't be too bad. The commute on interstate 880 is much worse in the East Bay north of Milpitas than it is from Milpitas to Campbell.

I think Mt. View has a nicer downtown area than Campbell and would probably be better for having a social life. Sunnyvale has a semi-decent downtown strip if you could even call it that. There's really not much to do at all in Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale does tend to have slightly lower rent than Mt. View and you can easily get to downtown Mt. View and downtown Palo Alto to hang out if you want to.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Move to a place closest to your job. Commuting sucks.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Campbell is way better than the other two. It is less saturated with techie losers.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Actually since you're considering Campbell, you should check into the Willow Glen area of San Jose. Very nice.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
The commute from Mountain View or Sunnyvale to Milipitas is on Highway 237, which gets sort of backed up during commuting hours but not that bad. I don't know too much about Campbell but Mtn View and Sunnyvale are both nice places.

I feel like there's more stuff to do in the South Bay/Peninsula area than in Milpitas.

Unfortunately, rentals rose in the last few months. You used to be able to get a 2 bdrm in Sunnyvale for $1600, but now you're looking at $1800

Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The commute from Mountain View or Sunnyvale to Milipitas is on Highway 237, which gets sort of backed up during commuting hours but not that bad. I don't know too much about Campbell but Mtn View and Sunnyvale are both nice places.
Actually, the direction of commute from Mt View or Sunnyvale to Milpitas is much more favorable than the other way around, via 237.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 13,580 times
Thank you all for your input. Sounds like Campbell is a good choice, Sunnyvale and mountain view good too if I can find something that meets my needs and budget.

I did conside Willow Glen also, but not sure which area belong to willow glen. Just know that the downtown is near Lincoln and Willow. Also for Campbell, which area is the preferred area to live?

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by movingfromeast2west; 06-02-2011 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Move to a place closest to your job. Commuting sucks.

This is what I'm thinking....What's wrong with Milpitas? In this area, you end up having to drive everywhere anyway...but if you can afford $!650 in rent, I'd live close to work in Milpitas and drive places on the weekends (since you probably will end up driving around on weekends anyway no matter where you live).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose