Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,705 times

Advertisements

1) Thanks for ressurrecting a thread started over 2 years ago, and providing no useful info. Although the OP most likely has already found lodging by this time ...

2) If you didn't see the post that got you so worked up for 18 months, why not just let it go?

3) He's right, Hwy 9 doesn't "come down to UCSC" - it comes down to Santa Cruz. You should express yourself more clearly if you want people to understand what you meant (vs. what you wrote).

{/rant}

PS: Y'all can probably guess that I really hate reading old threads resurrected for no useful reason.

PPS: If you are interested in old cemeteries, then if you're ever in that area (where hwy-9/river st. meets hwy-1) there's an old cemetery nearby (graves from the 1800s). It's hidden back in the little dead-end streets off hwy-9, past where goodwill used to sell used clothes by the pound, near the ballfields. It's just off evergreen street, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,698 times
Traffic is atrocious, live as close as you possibly can. Not only does highway 1 have lots of traffic, but Mission street is bad as well (although you can hang a right and take High St).

Last edited by zombocom; 08-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Oops... old thread.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Traffic is atrocious, live as close as you possibly can. Not only does highway 1 have lots of traffic, but Mission street is bad as well (although you can hang a right and take High St).
zombocom - it's not obvious because somebody resurrected a long-dead thread, but the original poster was asking about housing information for fall 2011. He has long ago made his choice and further posts would do him not much good.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM

155 posts, read 274,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
1) Thanks for ressurrecting a thread started over 2 years ago, and providing no useful info. Although the OP most likely has already found lodging by this time ...

2) If you didn't see the post that got you so worked up for 18 months, why not just let it go?

3) He's right, Hwy 9 doesn't "come down to UCSC" - it comes down to Santa Cruz. You should express yourself more clearly if you want people to understand what you meant (vs. what you wrote).

{/rant}

PS: Y'all can probably guess that I really hate reading old threads resurrected for no useful reason.

PPS: If you are interested in old cemeteries, then if you're ever in that area (where hwy-9/river st. meets hwy-1) there's an old cemetery nearby (graves from the 1800s). It's hidden back in the little dead-end streets off hwy-9, past where goodwill used to sell used clothes by the pound, near the ballfields. It's just off evergreen street, I believe.
How would anyone know about a person who preferred to criticize instead of appreciating some helpful information, until he was read--at whatever date? It is one thing for the object of somebody's criticism to take offense, and another for a stranger to that interaction to play the officious interloper, and insert himself in somebody else's argument. I think the essential point was made clearly, in a broad sense that a person who wanted to understand would appreciate and supplement from shared knowledge (vs. a person who wanted to find fault would choose to not understand) that Hwy 9 T's into the end of that freeway section that terminates at the High Street area. Everyone who knows anything about SC knows High Street is a straight shot to UCSC. So in that broad non-technical sense Hwy 9 does come down to or lead to UCSC.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
How would anyone know about a person who preferred to criticize instead of appreciating some helpful information, until he was read--at whatever date? It is one thing for the object of somebody's criticism to take offense, and another for a stranger to that interaction to play the officious interloper, and insert himself in somebody else's argument. I think the essential point was made clearly, in a broad sense that a person who wanted to understand would appreciate and supplement from shared knowledge (vs. a person who wanted to find fault would choose to not understand) that Hwy 9 T's into the end of that freeway section that terminates at the High Street area. Everyone who knows anything about SC knows High Street is a straight shot to UCSC. So in that broad non-technical sense Hwy 9 does come down to or lead to UCSC.
And yet this is still irrelevant to this thread.
I'm pretty sure the OP is no longer looking for answers at this point.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
And yet this is still irrelevant to this thread.
I'm pretty sure the OP is no longer looking for answers at this point.
Relevance to the interests of the original poster is not the test. The information is for general consumption.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh23 View Post
Highway 9 does NOT come down to UCSC; However, Empire Grade does. True, there is a trail that leads to UCSC, but I wouldn't recommend it as a commute route .

I lived in Brookdale for three months when I was a student at UCSC and they were my worst three months in college. It's definitely beautiful back there, but you better own a car if you choose to live off Highway 9! It took about 90 minutes to reach campus by bus! This advice would apply to Davenport as well.
It sorta goes without saying that if you are going to live in SC County and plan to get somewhere on a regular basis (school, work) you need a car. It's not like Oakland, where main streets run straight out for miles from 14th and Broadway, and it is actually practical to use busses. And then there is BART. By way of comparison.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:04 PM

[quote=ebrooks;31080018]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh23 View Post
Highway 9 does NOT come down to UCSC; However, Empire Grade does. True, there is a trail that leads to UCSC, but I wouldn't recommend it as a commute route .

quote]

This harsh capitalized reply to my post frankly pisses me off. I consider myself an EXPERT on SC, so to be confronted by some anonymous smartass in this way is unacceptable. I didn't say Hwy 9 lead up to the front gate of UCSC! But it not only leads to the trail to UCSC but it comes out at the foot of the short end-piece of freeway that leads directly up to High Street, which is practically the driveway to UCSC. My expert credentials are my presence there spanning the old SC and the new--growing up there in the 50's and going to college for 5 years in the 60's. Read my descriptions of SC on the SC Hippy Project--Ralph Abraham.
Based on your responses so far, you aren't much of an expert (IMO).

Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
It sorta goes without saying that if you are going to live in SC County and plan to get somewhere on a regular basis (school, work) you need a car. It's not like Oakland, where main streets run straight out for miles from 14th and Broadway, and it is actually practical to use busses. And then there is BART. By way of comparison.
Wow. You chose to respond to the same over-18-month-old post not just once, but TWICE?!!? On two separate occasions, several months apart?

First, I got along just fine in Santa Cruz for YEARS without a car. It was either bus or bike. And now that all the buses have bike racks, it's even easier. Buses work just fine in Santa Cruz. The comparison of Oakland (city) to Santa Cruz *county* is rather ... not evident, but that may explain the incorrect response.

Not that the original poster of the thread probably cares, since he specifically asked for "within walking/biking distance or on the bus line" and was asking for the info in 2011, has probably already made his decision, and hasn't logged on in over 2 years. But, apparantly, threads MUST be maintained active "for posterity".

Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Wow. You chose to respond to the same over-18-month-old post not just once, but TWICE?!!? On two separate occasions, several months apart?

First, I got along just fine in Santa Cruz for YEARS without a car. It was either bus or bike. And now that all the buses have bike racks, it's even easier. Buses work just fine in Santa Cruz. The comparison of Oakland (city) to Santa Cruz *county* is rather ... not evident, but that may explain the incorrect response.

Not that the original poster of the thread probably cares, since he specifically asked for "within walking/biking distance or on the bus line" and was asking for the info in 2011, has probably already made his decision, and hasn't logged on in over 2 years. But, apparantly, threads MUST be maintained active "for posterity".
Marco casts himself in the role of forum police. It's helpful information, then or now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose