Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 21,826 times

Advertisements

Hello I have a job offer in East Palo Alto so id have to move there. Ive read a lot of very old posting on that city none of them were good. It was also from 2007. I was told that the city is no longer very high in the crime rate and is a safer place to be. I would just like to hear it from someone other then who would like me to take the job. I would be moving there with my family. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
It's supposed to be better than like 10 years ago but still pretty crappy compared to pretty much anywhere else in the Silicon Valley area. If you can't afford somewhere like Mountain View I'd look at Fremont and drive to work over the Dumbarton Bridge.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
East Palo Alto is safer than it used to be but it still has a high crime rate for a city of its size. I agree with Mayorhaggar. Rent is much cheaper in the East Bay than on the peninsula and you should be able to find a place in the Fremont area that would give you a pretty decent commute straight across the Dumbarton Bridge. Avoid East Palo Alto.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 21,826 times
The only problem is that the job that id be getting requires me to stay on the property. It would be a mobile home but id heve to stay there. That's why i'm not sure to take the job. Thanks so far for your help....

Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Well if you have kids you'd have to send them to the EPA school district which I expect is pretty bad. It sounds like a job for someone without a family or from the area who just needs work.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
There's okay pockets of EPA but like mayorhaggar said Ravenswood SD is pretty terrible. However, for high school EPA kids are bussed to neighboring cities since EPA doesn't have a real high school. Depending on where in EPA/East Menlo you are, you can possibly get into Menlo-Atherton, Gunn High, Palo Alto High (Paly), etc depending on what you want out of your kid's education. If you just want a challenging education, you can get it from Sequoia in Redwood City (International Baccalaureate program) without the snobbiness that Menlo and Palo Alto are known for. I would skip Woodside.

Where in EPA would you have to be? I would say no to anything off of Gardenia Way (G Town).

Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I would say no to anything off of Gardenia Way (G Town).
Neighborhood actually looks pretty nice right there. Is it a don't-let-the-good-looks-fool-you thing?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:04 AM

18 posts, read 46,637 times
EPA is NOT a safe place to live. I know several police officers who have stated they would not venture into the city at night off duty. My friend's daughter, 20 years old, was just shot and killed there last week. She was simply passing through at night. That being said, my brother-in-law, who is always looking for a good deal, lived there for 2 years w/o any problems. I think he got lucky and picked a good street. I grew up in the next city and have seen the changes over the years- it has gone from really bad, to bad and back to really bad and then bad again. The crime ebbs and flows but it is ALWAYs there.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
So it's the mobile home park on E Bayshore and Pulgas? Lots of folks pass through on that road every day to get to the shopping center over by Ikea. Of all the areas you can pick from in EPA, that's probably the least scary location. But the fact that it's a mobile home park, in East Palo Alto no less, makes me wince. I don't think it would be a very good idea to take this job, unless you're taking it to get you through school at Stanford or something.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Neighborhood actually looks pretty nice right there. Is it a don't-let-the-good-looks-fool-you thing?

Yup... G Town is the most active turf in EPA. I don't even walk through in broad daylight when I'm in EPA unless I'm with somebody from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose