Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM

62 posts, read 176,012 times

Advertisements

I have two potential job opportunities in the Bay Area, one in Oakland and one is San Jose. Both $125k salary. I've never been, but my sister lives in SF, and everyone says NorCal is the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, I'm stretched pretty thin in CT, I can't imagine the Bay' area is going to be any better. I'd be looking for a 4BR house (doesn't need to be big) in a family friendly community (great schools, parks, low crime) on a budget of about $400k, within a reasonable commuting distance of either Oakland or SJ. Is that feasible, or should I pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM

77 posts, read 316,926 times
This probably won't happen if you want GREAT schools, but you can find a place with decent schools. To begin, start looking at websites like Remax and look for specific cities to see what houses are going for.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:37 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
So many have asked the same question on these forums about living in the Bay area. What can I say? At the mall the other day I spent $8 for one of those lunches in a styrofom clam plate. Near my table were four people at one table with a similar lunch. After a few bites, they started rotating in another person so that five people ate out of one plate! Many people here bring in extended family members to live in one house to stretch their rent money so there is a way to live here if that is really what you want. Your income sounds pretty good just be sure to adjust your living expectations as well, but, I'm sure you won't have to feed five out of one plate. (amazed at what I saw)

The market is down at this time so you might find a good deal to buy or rent. I would recommend renting until you get a feel for where you fit in. You might also want to consider looking at USGS maps of the area for earthquake fault lines.

Our weather is really great, as is the ocean and geography, most of my neighbors use private schools for their children, and taxes are high. But, within a one block area I have a Costco, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods which you may not find in every neighborhood. May I also suggest you read the San Jose Mercury News online for quakes, traffic, weather, crime, and real estate to get a feel for the area. Oakland has many on going issues so you should also research the crime reporting sites to narrow down a good neighborhood. West San Jose has many reasonable neighborhoods as does Cambell, Saratoga, Los Gatos and Santa Clara. Be sure to spend time here before move too far from home as it is a long way home if the job doesn't work out. Again, read other posts regarding this area and best of luck to you.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 PM

113 posts, read 252,300 times
I would pass, $400,000 won't buy what you want. Or take the job and rent. Real estate may still come down.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 PM

62 posts, read 176,012 times
Just to clarify, I would be looking at the suburbs. Is there a rental market for SFH's? Apartments are out of the question.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
You will probably be in the East Bay if you want a 4BR house on that salary, with a family.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 AM

591 posts, read 866,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie123 View Post
I would pass, $400,000 won't buy what you want. Or take the job and rent. Real estate may still come down.
^^^this, folks, a hole-in-the-wall house in Campbell (the poor cousin of Los Gatos-Saratoga) goes for 6-700k.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,814 times
With 400K budget, it's really hard to get SFH as you want.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_trackstar View Post
I have two potential job opportunities in the Bay Area, one in Oakland and one is San Jose. Both $125k salary. I've never been, but my sister lives in SF, and everyone says NorCal is the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, I'm stretched pretty thin in CT, I can't imagine the Bay' area is going to be any better. I'd be looking for a 4BR house (doesn't need to be big) in a family friendly community (great schools, parks, low crime) on a budget of about $400k, within a reasonable commuting distance of either Oakland or SJ. Is that feasible, or should I pass?
A half decent 4BR house for 400K is not going to happen here in San Jose?Silicon Valley. You might be able to get that in the inland parts of the East Bay, but even there I'm not so sure.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A half decent 4BR house for 400K is not going to happen here in San Jose
More like, Gonzales or Hollister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose