Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 511pf View Post
This actually depends on the job they do. Illegal workers who work non-agriculture jobs generally do so under false social security numbers, which means that they actually do pay taxes and social security, as these are deducted automatically from their paychecks.
But even so, they generally work in low paying industries and have more kids than average, which still makes them a net drain on the tax base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Here we go again. Those who aren't here legally, if they do evade their income taxes, don't get things like Bush's tax credits, and often wouldn't pay anything anyway due to the minimum. But they do pay:

- sales tax
- vehicle registration fees
- property taxes (directly or indirectly)
- gasoline taxes

Realistically, only the top 5% makes a dent in the "tax base" anyway, so I don't see how you can say they don't pay their fair share.
Those taxes listed are a pretty small part of the total national tax take and I think we both know that.

I'd say it's more than the top 5% paying their "fair share"...probably more like the top 1/3. I do agree that more people on the lower end of the income spectrum shold be paying something in terms of taxes...otherwise, they have every incentive to vote themselves a pay raises from the government without seeing the cost.

I think we all need to start paying more of our true "fair share" or taking a cut in government benefits (or combination of both). It only makes sense to start with people who are not even citizens. Every other country does the same and no other immigration friendly country (such as Canada or Australia) allows such huge numbers of people to immigrate illegally without doing anything about it.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
^^^
I totally agree Tyger, but what is the tax benefit of bringing in foreign workers when so many Americans are on collecting unemployment benefits and have no health care who are capable and willing to work?

I understand that many of schools have been dumbed down for years but we still need to support/improve our students and employment or we will become vulnerable to outside political influences. We are not only importing technical skills but also their ideology.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
we will become vulnerable to outside political influences. We are not only importing technical skills but also their ideology.
The way our political landscape is functioning, a good dose of outside influence and ideology may be precisely what is needed.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 PM

96 posts, read 299,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
But even so, they generally work in low paying industries and have more kids than average, which still makes them a net drain on the tax base.
They're also working for below market rate, and in many cases below minimum wage. That's an economic benefit to the rest of us. What's the price of an American-picked head of lettuce? I don't know, and neither do most people. In addition, illegals (especially in agriculture) tend not to use government services because they're afraid of being deported. I know the popular myth is that they're a net drain, but that narrative leaves out a lot of relevant information, and may actually be incorrect.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM

24 posts, read 31,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If you're considering moving here without a job, a much cheaper alternative to renting your own apartment, is to rent a room in a house. This will cost you $500-$600 per month and you'd be sharing it with three or four individuals. Not uncommon at all to see engineers doing this in Silicon Valley where there are a lot of people coming and going due to the industry.
Yes, I have noticed that there are many rooms available in the area. I would rather not have it get to that point, but it is reassuring nevertheless...

Old 11-04-2011, 04:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
If you worked at Intel I would file an application with them. They have a huge facility under construction west of Portland.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 AM

24 posts, read 31,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If you worked at Intel I would file an application with them. They have a huge facility under construction west of Portland.
No, I had previously traveled to an Intel facility in Portland to work with them on a project for another company that I worked for at the time. I did not work for Intel directly. I would love to now, though

Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmGoodChowda View Post
No, I had previously traveled to an Intel facility in Portland to work with them on a project for another company that I worked for at the time. I did not work for Intel directly. I would love to now, though
For job stability? Not an issue in Silicon Valley. You'd be fine moving here and choosing among the various different industries in which to work: startups, large established companies, internet based businesses, providing IT support to companies that are in a business other than high-tech, .... I mean there's so many different kinds of companies here there's a niche for everybody. Yes things can get a little hectic sometimes, even in the big companies (Cisco laid off 6,000 a couplle months ago, but what the media didn't say was that every one of those laid off received an amazingly good severance package), but the good news is that if you find yourself looking for another job the area is so dynamic, at any given time there's lots of jobs available. (I'm talking strictly in the area of high tech/computers).

Here's a humorous example from the company I worked at earlier this year (a San Francisco startup.) A senior Java developer quit his stable job at Walmart.com (the online retail which is located just south of San Francisco) to take the job at the startup, because he was bored at Walmart and wanted a more dynamic, fast-paced environment of the startup. He got what he wanted: six months at the startup and he was laid off due to a reduction in force! Well, he's got enough money in the bank where he doesn't have to scramble to get another job. So he was lazy for a couple months, wasn't making any effort to get a job. Then, two of the programmers at the startup quit, and the company called him back in desperation askign him to return to his old post! How's that for serendipitous. He didn't even have to interview.

One thing I will say is that, yes computer jobs are plentiful, but you are expected to know what you're doing and have a good work ethic and produce results. There's lots of workaholic people around here who really know their material. You'll stick out like a sore thumb if you are lazy on the job and you probably wont' last.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
The advantage of SV is that there is a large pool of employers using your skill set, the disadvantage is the cost of living.

The OP is single so sharing housing with others is an option. Housing is the biggest budget buster in SV. Given his circumstances, were he my son, I say go for it!! Plan on living like a student for a couple years so that you can set aside an emergency fund.

With respect to the assignment at Intel, when you apply there be sure to feature that experiance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose